General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:43 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Default RE: Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

I guess the question of shipping vs renting would come down to how many days I would actually get to ride. If out of six weeks you would only have 7 days of riding the rest filled with whatever else you (or the wife) have planned I would rent. I would guess that shipping is well over $1000 maybe 2(since forme to ship it to Daytona, by land, over5 days, 1800mileswas an estimate of$600).But hey it's your $$$$ and that's just my opinion.

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:44 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet
We, of course, took the advice but we kept thinking that if it was such common knowledge why would the cops not know the trick and search us for more money?
Hey, even the federales have some standards.
They almost didn't let me in the country because my birth certificate said Francis and my license said Frank. I toldthe guythat it is the same name. And he said in a strong Mexican accent "Not in this country it's not!" I thought they were going to take me in the back room then and ask me for money!

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:48 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: BigJfxdwg

I guess the question of shipping vs renting would come down to how many days I would actually get to ride. If out of six weeks you would only have 7 days of riding the rest filled with whatever else you (or the wife) have planned I would rent. I would guess that shipping is well over $1000 maybe 2(since forme to ship it to Daytona, by land, over5 days, 1800mileswas an estimate of$600).But hey it's your $$$$ and that's just my opinion.
Yeah, although my trip is slated to be six weeks (no more than eight), I definitely wouldn't be riding the entire time. Aside from meetings, I also plan on playing golf to the tune of a at least a couple rounds a day for a good stretch. So all told, actual ride time would hopefully be some 7-10 days. The thing is that my schedule might be such that I may not be able to 'set aside' specific days at a stretch solely for riding. That's why I thought it would be nice to have a bike 'at the ready' when the opportunity presented itself. Maybe that doesn't make any sense?

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:58 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

It makes complete sense to me to do that, just that the $$ aspect would hold me back. But hey, if you are crapping hundreds and can afford to ship it then that would be the ideal option for you. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:13 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: BigJfxdwg

It makes complete sense to me to do that, just that the $$ aspect would hold me back. But hey, if you are crapping hundreds and can afford to ship it then that would be the ideal option for you. [sm=signs003.gif]
My wife told me just the other day, "If you want to have the bike while we're there, just ship it." (insert pause here) Okaaaaay. You see, for me, it's not that simple. And frankly, it's not entirely a money issue. Can I afford to shipmy bike or rent one for a couple months straight? Without question.Now whetherI want to spend that kind of coin to do it is another thing altogether? I'm not exactly sure. Like I told my wife, "By the time it's all said and done (renting or shipping), I could be pretty close to buying another one once I get back home!"

Because I wouldn't want to risk having my bike damaged in transit, I'll more than likely opt out on the shipping idea. And renting a bike for the entire six to eight weeks is definitely not going to happen for the sole reason as I'd much rathersee that amount of coin go towards a second scoot once I got back home. I'm thinking that renting a bike for a week or so might be the way to go. Hopefully, I can work my schedule such that I can ride several days uninterrupted; just me and the wife.

And one last thing, if I were crapping 100's, you can bet your *** that I'd be holed up in my bathroom with afew copiesof Easyrider magazine, 5 bottles of Exlax, and a box or two of 55 gallon commercial trash bags!It's one thing to have money. It's another thing on how one elects to spend/save it. Translation: I guess I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to certain things!

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:16 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

Right on brother.

[sm=happybounce.gif]

From one tight *ss to another [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:34 PM
BlueShift
Road Master

I'm heading out next week to see the parents in AZ. If you're a HOG member rental costs are $25 to $35 a day cheaper for a heritage classic rental in AZ. HOG charges a flat fee for rentals $100 for softails and dynas a day no extra or hidden costs. Hawaii may be slightly higher. I too am frugal with my money.The $25 a day savings will buy my coffee and gas.

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:57 PM
wldbill
Road Master

The past 2 years we've had a fella from Hawaii ship his bike over here to ride. The island tends to have him doing circles and he needs to unwind.

Old 02-16-2007 | 01:13 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: BlueShift

I'm heading out next week to see the parents in AZ. If you're a HOG member rental costs are $25 to $35 a day cheaper for a heritage classic rental in AZ. HOG charges a flat fee for rentals $100 for softails and dynas a day no extra or hidden costs. Hawaii may be slightly higher. I too am frugal with my money.The $25 a day savings will buy my coffee and gas.
That's good to know as I'll be in Phoenix/Scottsdale (Buddy Stubbs HD neck of the woods) in March on biz.

Old 02-16-2007 | 01:16 AM
BlueShift
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: BlueShift

That's good to know as I'll be in Phoenix/Scottsdale (Buddy Stubbs HD neck of the woods) in March on biz.
My rental is from Chester's HD.

Quick Reply: Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?