General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 08:43 PM
jv225
Road Master
Default RE: Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?

HMMmm The guy I rented from on Oahu is the one I wouldn't recommend. I rented from Big Kahuna. Decent guy and it looked like he had some nice bikes but the Fatboy I rented was rough. It wasn't stock and it ran ok but man that thing was beat. I'm talking a lot of rust, filthy and turn signal lenses held on with scotch tape And it didn't have the sissy bar on it that he told me it did on the phone twice. My wife was not happy about that. Which also made it so I wasn't happy since she had a death grip around my waist the whole time
IMO where I stayed in Oahu (outrigger waikiki) was too hectic and too many people. Maui was awesome and laid back. I rented from aloha toy store and those guys were great. The bikes were all brand new and clean. I had a Road King there but it was stock. He told me all the guys tell him guys who ride baggers want them quiet All his other bikes had atleast stage 1 done to them. Last thing I can tell you is book in advance. That's how I ended up on the fatboy in oahu I waited to long to book. I wanted a rk or ultra. Hope this helps a little

Old 02-15-2007 | 08:50 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jv225

HMMmm The guy I rented from on Oahu is the one I wouldn't recommend. I rented from Big Kahuna. Decent guy and it looked like he had some nice bikes but the Fatboy I rented was rough. It wasn't stock and it ran ok but man that thing was beat. I'm talking a lot of rust, filthy and turn signal lenses held on with scotch tape And it didn't have the sissy bar on it that he told me it did on the phone twice. My wife was not happy about that. Which also made it so I wasn't happy since she had a death grip around my waist the whole time
IMO where I stayed in Oahu (outrigger waikiki) was too hectic and too many people. Maui was awesome and laid back. I rented from aloha toy store and those guys were great. The bikes were all brand new and clean. I had a Road King there but it was stock. He told me all the guys tell him guys who ride baggers want them quiet All his other bikes had atleast stage 1 done to them. Last thing I can tell you is book in advance. That's how I ended up on the fatboy in oahu I waited to long to book. I wanted a rk or ultra. Hope this helps a little
Helps way more than a little. Thanks for all the good information. Much appreciated.

Old 02-15-2007 | 09:33 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

I've never shipped my bike, but I have rented. I was in Cancun with my wife and another couple. We rented fatboys and rode all day, morning to night and most of the next day. We rode through many little towns and ate at little restaurants on the water. We went through scorching heat and welcomed rain storms that would cool us off. Even though I wasn't on my own bike, it was one of the best times I ever had on a bike. I'll never forget it!

Old 02-15-2007 | 09:49 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

I've never shipped my bike, but I have rented. I was in Cancun with my wife and another couple. We rented fatboys and rode all day, morning to night and most of the next day. We rode through many little towns and ate at little restaurants on the water. We went through scorching heat and welcomed rain storms that would cool us off. Even though I wasn't on my own bike, it was one of the best times I ever had on a bike. I'll never forget it!
Sounds like a blast!

Old 02-15-2007 | 09:58 PM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member

I would rent for a short period only because too many things can happen to a bike being shipped, plus I like being able to try different bikes every day. Not to often you get to do that.

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:11 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member

The wife & I have rented many times. It's a great way to experience all the different varieties Harley Davidson has to offer. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Renting a moped in Key west was a blast! [sm=biker.gif]

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:15 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: fatboy44
plus I like being able to try different bikes every day. Not to often you get to do that.
True. Good point.

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:22 PM
MAchonewon
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jv225

What island in Hawaii are you going to? I went to Oahu and Maui last Feb for my honeymoon and rented Harley's on both islands. It was about 135-150 $ a day. Of course I only rented them for 8 days not 6 weeks. If your going to one of those places I'll find the links to the places I rented. (One I definately would not recommend) They had bikes that weren't stock. I'm not sure what your looking to ride but I think most of the touring bikes were stock though. I would guess it would be a ton of money to ship a bike to Hawaii but I'm not sure. Pm me if you want and I could give you more info.

Sounds like an awesome vacation.

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:27 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

Sounds like a blast!
It really was! Pretty funny too. They couldn't care less if we knew how to ride. They didn't care if we had a license. They never asked! The only advice they gave us was to hide the bulk of our money in our boot and only keep 40 to 60 dollars in our wallet. If we get pulled over by the police, they told us that they will look in our wallet andask formost of our money to let us go. The more they see, the more they will ask for. We, of course, took the advice but we kept thinking that if it was such common knowledge why would the cops not know the trick and search us for more money?

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:30 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
|
Road Warrior

We, of course, took the advice but we kept thinking that if it was such common knowledge why would the cops not know the trick and search us for more money?
Hey, even the federales have some standards.

Quick Reply: Vacations: Ship your bke or Rent one?