General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Ultra opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013 | 12:55 PM
doug62
|
Road Captain
Default Road Glide Ultra opinions needed

I currently do not own a HD but I am giving serious consideration to buying the Road Glide Ultra. I do a lot of long range touring on my current bike, a Honda VTX 1800, and while I do like the VTX it does not have all the "bells and whistles" that would make it a true V-twin touring bike. It does not have cruise control, stereo system, self cancelling turn signals, or even a gas guage, go figure. I know the Gold Wing offers all that but I really want a V-twin which the GW is not. I am also considering the Victory Cross Country Touring bike. I have been told, however, that Victory does not hold their value very well. What I am looking for are the pros and, if any, cons of the Road Glide Ultra. All info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by doug62; 03-27-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2013 | 12:58 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Rent one and ride it. You'll love it.

Old 03-27-2013 | 01:38 PM
MikeB_30
Advanced

Maybe I can help a little.
Last February I bought a 2008 Goldwing, had all the bells and whistles including GPS. I rode it for one summer and really wanted to love it. I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was very complicated and it had a lot that could go wrong on it. I didn't put as many miles on it as I thought I would and couldn't justify making payments on something I didn't love.
I started looking at some other options. I, too, was looking at the Cross Country but Victory does not have the extensive dealer network HD does and I like to know that when I'm touring if I need dealer support it's never far away. I test rode a 2012 RGU and a week later took it home. I had more leg room on the RGU (I'm 6'3") and it didn't seem as top heavy as the GW.
Is the GW a superior touring machine? Sure. But I can tell you one thing. I never hung out in the garage and stared at that one like I do this one.
Life's too short to not be happy. My 2 cents.....

My only con with it so far is it's killing me waiting for winter to end!!

Old 03-27-2013 | 01:53 PM
doug62
|
Road Captain

Great info, thank you very much! I too am a little concerned about the lack of the dealerships that Victory offers. The main drawback I have with the Gold Wing is the ability to do common maintenance on it. It has so much "plastic" coverings on it that need to come off when doing standard procedures, or at least that is what I have been told. I do love the reliability of Honda but they really have abandoned the V-twin touring market. Their current line up is nothing short of pathetic! They don't even offer the 1800 V-twin engine anymore!

Old 03-27-2013 | 01:56 PM
Slick-
Cruiser

I too own two 1800 VTX's an 03C that I bought new in 04 and a 08 N that I bought with 4,000 miles in 11/11. I bought the N with the intent of bagging it out, and making a Honda-Davidson. That is until I test rode a 2012 Electa Glide Ulta Classic this past October at Biketoberfest. Long story short on Xmas eve I brought home a stunning Ember Red Sunglow 2012 Ultra and haven't looked back since. I love my X's, but I'm in LOVE with my HD.

Anybody want a real good deal on an 03 VTX?

Slick-

Old 03-27-2013 | 01:58 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

You need to rent one. No one but you can be sure an RGU is the right bike. Plan a long weekend trip (miles are free) and go somewhere, at least 200 miles each way. Talk to the HD dealer, see if they will remburse the cost of the rental if buy a bike from them....

I love mine....

Old 03-27-2013 | 05:44 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I have an '08 RG, not the ulta model. Hence no trunk or deluxe back seat. I didn't even test ride it when I bought it. Just sat on all the various models. It fit me well, I liked the features so I bought it.

There are no cons, I like everything about it.

Well I guess I do know one con, and that is that there are some people who are passionate about hating the Road Glide. They even start threads about how much they hate them. For no good reason other than they don't like how they look.

Personally I like the look of the RG. Go for it, you won't regret it.

ps. I have 80,000 km on mine in 4 seasons. I've ridden as much as 1600 km (1000 mi) in a day. The bike is made for riding, not for parking at the bar and looking at.

Old 03-27-2013 | 05:55 PM
Drat
Road Warrior

Just rent one for a day or a weekend and put it through your normal riding. I knew I wanted one and after the test ride I was sold. Its your butt and your comfort level that you need to satisfy. Go ride one, then come back to us and let us know when you will be picking up your new one.

Old 03-27-2013 | 06:16 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by MikeB_30
Maybe I can help a little.
Last February I bought a 2008 Goldwing, had all the bells and whistles including GPS. I rode it for one summer and really wanted to love it. I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was very complicated and it had a lot that could go wrong on it. I didn't put as many miles on it as I thought I would and couldn't justify making payments on something I didn't love.
I started looking at some other options. I, too, was looking at the Cross Country but Victory does not have the extensive dealer network HD does and I like to know that when I'm touring if I need dealer support it's never far away. I test rode a 2012 RGU and a week later took it home. I had more leg room on the RGU (I'm 6'3") and it didn't seem as top heavy as the GW.
Is the GW a superior touring machine? Sure. But I can tell you one thing. I never hung out in the garage and stared at that one like I do this one.
Life's too short to not be happy. My 2 cents.....

My only con with it so far is it's killing me waiting for winter to end!!
My thoughts exactly...

Old 03-27-2013 | 06:58 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Cool Don't do it!

They're hard to ride cause the fixed fairing is confusing!
And they're ugly! You might even say "Fugly".
So don't get one.
But if you do, and you love it (and something tells me you will), keep it to yourself!
It's supposed to be a secret!
Shhhhhh!

GSF

Quick Reply: Road Glide Ultra opinions needed