General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Ultra opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013 | 05:47 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhotoRider
Hmmm, I settled on a 13" windvest and its great with a 3/4. Never tried a full face. Now I WONDERS so I'll try it. That said no buffeting for me as I currently ride it, but I did go through several windshields. Wasn't as easy as my RK or my others.

Do you know what would happen if you cut the stock down just below your line of site? If it works, cheap fix... (bet you can find an used stock one cheap)

PhotoRider,

Wind screens are like seats, you have to find the right one for you. I have been through the screen game. Like you I have the Windvest and it work wonders.

Anyway, I just wanted to post that I do have a stock tall Roadie screen that was cut down, and many more screens to get rid of.

GroupW,

That's because of the "Warp speed" that I can do on my Roadie!

YB

Old 03-28-2013 | 06:19 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PFWiz
You need to rent one. No one but you can be sure an RGU is the right bike. Plan a long weekend trip (miles are free) and go somewhere, at least 200 miles each way. Talk to the HD dealer, see if they will remburse the cost of the rental if buy a bike from them....

I love mine....

'11 RGU in solo mode:

Some folks try multiple shields... I went straight to the best. You either like the looks or you don't (kinda like the A-10 Warthog.)

I personally think it's a beutiful machine, built to be riden... I ride mine.

Can't say "I Love" the bike.... but I sure do "LOVE RIDING" it.

Best of luck with your decision.

Beav

Old 03-28-2013 | 06:32 AM
wheelzk
Road Captain

Got to agree with 09 YELLOWBIRD don't test drive it unless you're ready to buy. Something just overtakes you. It's like magic but only real. No explanation it just happens. You'll lose all your power of sensibility and be hooked. It'll happen

Old 03-28-2013 | 11:48 AM
wjco9
Intermediate

I traded my 07 Electraglide Ultra for a 12 RGU, won't look back now, the ride is amazing, long or short. My only dislikes were the windshield and the handlebars. Easy fix on both, heritage black bars and Long Ride Shields 14 in Mako. Cured the buffeting for me and my girl and gives me 3 in. pull back on the bars. As been stated do not ride one unless you are prepared to go home with her.

Old 03-28-2013 | 01:21 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Rent one and ride it. You'll love it.

Be prepared to buy one when you return the rental, you're going to.

PS: Once you own one. If anyone ever starts to say something about headlights not turning ( it sounds stupid, but I have literally had multiple people bring it up to me as a legitimate concern of theirs), ignore them and walk away. Its not worth trying to explain the physics of cornering a motorcycle to them.

Old 03-28-2013 | 02:23 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhotoRider
Hmmm, I settled on a 13" windvest and its great with a 3/4. Never tried a full face. Now I wonder so I'll try it. That said no buffeting for me as I currently ride it, but I did go through several windshields. Wasn't as easy as my RK or my others.

Do you know what would happen if you cut the stock down just below your line of site? If it works, cheap fix... (bet you can find an used stock one cheap)
I just deal with it and put my visor up. I dont want to cut down a windshield and realize that I made a good situation worse

Old 03-28-2013 | 03:12 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by doug62
I currently do not own a HD but I am giving serious consideration to buying the Road Glide Ultra. I do a lot of long range touring on my current bike, a Honda VTX 1800, and while I do like the VTX it does not have all the "bells and whistles" that would make it a true V-twin touring bike. It does not have cruise control, stereo system, self cancelling turn signals, or even a gas guage, go figure. I know the Gold Wing offers all that but I really want a V-twin which the GW is not. I am also considering the Victory Cross Country Touring bike. I have been told, however, that Victory does not hold their value very well. What I am looking for are the pros and, if any, cons of the Road Glide Ultra. All info is greatly appreciated.
I use to own a VTX 1800 and went to a Road King for the exact same reasons you mentioned (i.e. VTX isn't a true touring bike). I really enjoyed the Road King, but was never able to get it to fit me just right even after numerous seats and handlebars, whereas the VTX was a perfect fit. I am now riding a Victory Cross Roads. It fit me great in stock form and is kind of like a cross between a VTX and a Road King in power and comfort. While the Victory won't hold it's value as well as the Harley, the Harley will also cost you thousands more up front so it's basically a wash. You can negotiate thousands off MSRP on a Vic. I highly recommend you test ride all the bikes you're interested in before buying.

Last edited by XKnight; 03-28-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2013 | 03:58 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

I rented one. Put a few hundred miles on it, brought it back and bought an Electra Glide.

Old 03-28-2013 | 05:15 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
I just deal with it and put my visor up. I dont want to cut down a windshield and realize that I made a good situation worse
Buy an extra...

Old 03-28-2013 | 06:08 PM
FinallyRiding
Tourer

I have a 2012 and love it. The fixed fairing did take a bit to get used too but I made the right decision I moved the tour pack back about 2 inches changed out the exhaust and put a race tuner in. Perfect fit for us. Taking it on a 4k miles ten day trip in May.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Ultra opinions needed