General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Ultra opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013 | 07:37 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

I have a 2005 Road Glide that the guy before me paid way too much to convert it to a Road Glide Ultra. Got a good deal on it so I won. Only problem I see with it is I cannot detach the Tour Pak because it has the stereo amp mounted under the Tour Pak, and if I detach the Tour Pak lose the stereo. Oh well, the cross I have to bear!

Old 03-27-2013 | 07:41 PM
doug62
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by phillyrube
I have a 2005 Road Glide that the guy before me paid way too much to convert it to a Road Glide Ultra. Got a good deal on it so I won. Only problem I see with it is I cannot detach the Tour Pak because it has the stereo amp mounted under the Tour Pak, and if I detach the Tour Pak lose the stereo. Oh well, the cross I have to bear!
Is that the way all Ultras are or just the way yours was modified?

Old 03-27-2013 | 08:20 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

I have a 12 RGU. Previous bike was an 08 RG. Added a TP and rode it 4 yrs. Got blindsided at the dealership with a deal too good to walk away from so now I have a newer bike with 40,000 less miles. It is the ultimate touring bike. Test ride at your own risk.

Old 03-27-2013 | 09:04 PM
mhud
Road Captain

I bought my first Harley in 08, a 2008 RG and I loved it. Put over 70K on it with no mechanical issues and once I made it fit me with new windshield and seat I enjoyed every mile. It rode great and an all day ride was something to look forward to. I recently traded it for a 2013 RGU and I know I'm going to love it too, maybe even more since it has ABS and the one piece frame which came out in 09. It's not the fastest touring bike but it sure is the most fun (IMO) Before trading I considered other bikes, the batwings make me feel cramped, the GWs have too much plastic and not enough soul and the BMWs ... well I would of had to buy all new riding clothes. Although I think all of the above bikes are great bikes like another poster said I don't think I would ever sit in my garage with an adult beverage admiring my bike and I did that on several occasions with my RG.

Old 03-27-2013 | 09:39 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

do you ride with a passenger a good deal of the time? the road glide is a great 1 up bike, but i really think your passenger might enjoy the batwing ultra more--less buffeting.

Old 03-27-2013 | 09:44 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member

DON'T test ride one, unless YOU are ready to get one.....

Because you WILL!

Don't ask me and many more on this forum how we know!

Seriously, you can't go wrong. But, you should test ride all the touring scoots to

see what's best for you.

Good Luck,

YB

Old 03-27-2013 | 11:42 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
...DON'T test ride one, unless YOU are ready to get one.....

...... yo, YB ........... there's a warp @ the top of your shield, man ..... did you realize that ?

Old 03-28-2013 | 12:00 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Buffeting straight up blows. I have 4 windshields and now I am back with the stock windshield. I hate looking through the windshield but it prevents buffeting.

If you plan on wearing a Fullface helmet then you will have issues. If no fullface, then it shouldn't be much of a problem

Old 03-28-2013 | 01:53 AM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by doug62
Is that the way all Ultras are or just the way yours was modified?
Just the way his was. There are a couple of amps (an oem upgrade): a fairing mount and a TP mount. The fairing mounted version is made for the RG, but it works on a RGU - that's what I used. However it only drives 4 speakers, which is all I have on the RGU. If you but speakers in the lowers or in the bag lids then ya need something else (either another amp or maybe the TP amp handles this, but I bet you need both amps..)

Old 03-28-2013 | 01:59 AM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Buffeting straight up blows. I have 4 windshields and now I am back with the stock windshield. I hate looking through the windshield but it prevents buffeting.

If you plan on wearing a Fullface helmet then you will have issues. If no fullface, then it shouldn't be much of a problem
Hmmm, I settled on a 13" windvest and its great with a 3/4. Never tried a full face. Now I wonder so I'll try it. That said no buffeting for me as I currently ride it, but I did go through several windshields. Wasn't as easy as my RK or my others.

Do you know what would happen if you cut the stock down just below your line of site? If it works, cheap fix... (bet you can find an used stock one cheap)

Quick Reply: Road Glide Ultra opinions needed