Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install procedures question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam install procedures question

After reading multiple threads on cam installs and viewing the S&S youtube video, I am mentally preparing myself to install a cam into my 2012 Street Glide. I am making myself a comprehensive checklist with tips and tricks that others have posted about. I'm still a little "fuzzy" on when you have to be on TDC.

1) When removing pushrods, you need to find TDC on the cylinder you are removing the pushrods from.
2) When installing pushrods, you need to find TDC on the cylinder you are installing the pushrods and allow time for bleed down.

My question is: Is there any other time you need to be on TDC, for instance when you are in the cam chest replacing bearings, cams, etc? Do you need to be on TDC if you replace the lifters?

I know if you check the cam runout you will move off TDC (assuming you were still on TDC from the pushrod removal). This is the only part of this install that concerns me. Thanks.

Travis

Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM
shaker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It mainly depends on whether you are using adjustable pushrods or the stock pushrods. If you are using stock you'll have to take them out through the top of the head and re-install same way. Adjustable pushrods allow you to not worry about removing the top of the head. If using adjustable pushrods then you'll have to make sure you have the piston in the correct position. To the best of my memory this is the only time you need to worry about the position of the piston. I know some others will chime in on this one. I did it over a year ago and it is not that hard of a job just take your time. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by trnewman
After reading multiple threads on cam installs and viewing the S&S youtube video, I am mentally preparing myself to install a cam into my 2012 Street Glide. I am making myself a comprehensive checklist with tips and tricks that others have posted about. I'm still a little "fuzzy" on when you have to be on TDC.

1) When removing pushrods, you need to find TDC on the cylinder you are removing the pushrods from.
2) When installing pushrods, you need to find TDC on the cylinder you are installing the pushrods and allow time for bleed down.

My question is: Is there any other time you need to be on TDC, for instance when you are in the cam chest replacing bearings, cams, etc? Do you need to be on TDC if you replace the lifters?

I know if you check the cam runout you will move off TDC (assuming you were still on TDC from the pushrod removal). This is the only part of this install that concerns me. Thanks.

Travis
As long as you are on the base circle of the cams when you cut the pushrods and install the new ones you're good to go. Checking crank run-out, replacing lifters, etc... Have nothing to do with that. I'm going to do mine next Monday so I've been reading and watching videos too.

What cams, lifters and pushrods are you using? Getting the new pushrods adjusted correctly is what worries me.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM
trnewman
Tourer

Originally Posted by stro1965
As long as you are on the base circle of the cams when you cut the pushrods and install the new ones you're good to go. Checking crank run-out, replacing lifters, etc... Have nothing to do with that. I'm going to do mine next Monday so I've been reading and watching videos too.

What cams, lifters and pushrods are you using? Getting the new pushrods adjusted correctly is what worries me.
I wanted to make sure you don't have to worry about TDC except when removing and installing the pushrods. Some of the things I read had me wondering.

I am wavering between the Woods 222 or the Andrews 57h. If I go the 222 route I'll get the Fuel Moto install kit, Fuel Moto pushrods and Woods lifters (package price is better). If I decide on the 57h, I'm going SE adjustable pushrods....but not sure about the lifters. I only have 5k on the bike so I'm not even sure I need to replace the lifters.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Some people say replace them every time you swap cams, others say its a waste of money, who knows?

I'm installing Andrews 48's, Gaterman lifters (with travel limiters) and S&S Quickee pushrods. Already have a new base map for the Power Vision.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:09 PM
trnewman
Tourer

Originally Posted by stro1965
Some people say replace them every time you swap cams, others say its a waste of money, who knows?

I'm installing Andrews 48's, Gaterman lifters (with travel limiters) and S&S Quickee pushrods. Already have a new base map for the Power Vision.
What do the travel limiters add? I remember the S&S guy talking about that in the video....but I don't remember exactly what the reason for adding them.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

They keep the lifters from bleeding down completely, also prevent valve float at high RPM's. I had hard start issues after cams were added to my last bike and it might have been due to bleed down allowing the valves to close when they should have been open. I bought a set of travel limiters for that bike and never installed them, might as well install them while I'm doing this swap.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,445 Posts

You can make all the notes you want to but it's all in the Harley Davidson Shop Manual.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I didn't replace my lifters when doing the cam swap and my bike runs beautifully! If you are planning on upgrading the displacement (i.e. 96ci to 107ci), in the future, you'll need to upgrade the lifters, then. If you are thinking about it, now, you might as well upgrade the lifters while you're in there this time around and get it out of the way.

Quick Reply: Cam install procedures question