General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has heated grips? Which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013 | 08:43 AM
possum528
Advanced

Harley heated grips on my Ultra. Heated grips are also installed on my track day bike...

I have never found a pair of heated gloves I like wearing. The heated gloves just don't suit me.

Old 03-25-2013 | 09:29 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

H-D's on my '11 EG, 21,000 miles and I still only have to turn them up to two. I've had heated grips since '01 and would not have a bike without them again.

You guys with the heated gloves, do you carry them all summer too? Nothing like turning on the grips in a summer rain at 5,000 feet.

Old 03-25-2013 | 10:29 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

I have the HD heated grips that came standard on my 2011 Limited. They are not something I would have added myself, because I live in Phoenix. However, I use them on cold mornings and they are great and I am glad the bike has them.

Old 03-25-2013 | 11:34 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Never had heated grips. One thing I don't understand about them is how well they work. Seems to me that they'll only keep the palm of your hands warm as the top of you hands gets all the cold wind. Is this the case?

Old 03-25-2013 | 11:56 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz
Never had heated grips. One thing I don't understand about them is how well they work. Seems to me that they'll only keep the palm of your hands warm as the top of you hands gets all the cold wind. Is this the case?
Well you have to wear gloves the heavier the better they work.
The grips do a good job replacing the heat lost.
Grips work good down to 30 degrees below that you need heated gloves.

Old 03-25-2013 | 01:16 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master

Never tried heated grips. I would think it would be hard for the heat to go thru gloves very well unless of course, you don't wear gloves. I have Gerbings heated gloves and, they work very well. They will heat your whole fingers and hand. Just something you might want to consider.

Old 03-25-2013 | 01:39 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by willbilson
I have the Harley supplied grips on my Ultra Limited. They work really well, and I have had no problem with them in the year I have had it so far. On my Dyna I put "Show Chrome" heated grips on, and they worked very well also. I would say though that without a fairing you would be a lot better off with heated gloves instead. I was never happy with the grips on the Dyna - my knuckles/fingers were freezing and my palm was hot, and it wasn't a pleasant feeling. Just my experience.
That's my thought. If your hands aren't protected from the wind, heated grips won't do much for you at all.

Old 03-25-2013 | 01:39 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hocus-Pocus
Never tried heated grips. I would think it would be hard for the heat to go thru gloves very well unless of course, you don't wear gloves. I have Gerbings heated gloves and, they work very well. They will heat your whole fingers and hand. Just something you might want to consider.
Well there are advantages to both. Heated gloves are warmer, but you have the wire to plug in or battery to run down.
The grips are warm down to thirty degrees, but you still have to wear heavy gloves to keep your hands warm. Below that and the tips of your fingers get cold.
The grips get so hot that the heat goes right through the gloves.
The good thing is you always have them with you even in the summer when you might get into some cold weather.
That and you don't have the wire to plug in all the time.

Old 03-25-2013 | 01:48 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Puglia10
I have a circulation problem so my hands get cold and go numb much quicker and warmer temps than normal people. Riding with huge gloves is annoying, so I'm looking into heated grips. What do you have? How do they work, and would you buy again?

I've heard the harley ones break a lot, and are expensive.

Havent heard too much about heat demons, but the little I have heard has been good. Kind of expensive, but not too bad and looks really nice. http://www.heatdemons.com/Harley-Dav...mers_c_93.html

Then there's snowmobile heaters...they're MUCH less expensive. I guess putting a button somewhere would make it a bit less convenient than other routes, but...http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...d=0CLkBEPICMBE

I have the HD heated grips on my 09 Ultra... Can't say enough good about them... Pay attention to how you/dealer wires them (do NOT hot wire, suggest you use the back of the cigarette-lighter in the fairing if you have one)... I will say that having a fairing to block wind helps but heat will permeate your gloves and be retained if they are at all insulated/impervious... The grips are VERY warm/can be HOT, very convenient/easy to use and add to the look/value of the bike... No mechanical problems thus far...

Old 03-25-2013 | 02:36 PM
Car Doc
Road Master

I have HD grips and they get pretty hot hotter than I want to hang onto with bare hands. For the convenience of always having them on the bike and me not having to dress different I like the grips a lot they have limits though.

My finger tips still get too cold riding in 35 degree and below temps even with insulated gloves on 20 mile or so rides. I have tried lightweight gloves also to get more heat thru same result frozen finger tips.

I don't have a faring either just a windshield that would probably make a big difference and the grips may well be enough for those folks imho. Personally if I was to need to ride a long ways on a regular basis I would get heated gloves too or knowing what I know now just did that first. ymmv

Quick Reply: Who has heated grips? Which ones?