General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone been able to actually enjoy an HD dealer visit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
oestek
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone been able to actually enjoy an HD dealer visit?

I think most HD dealers are cool places to visit... lots of cool bikes, shirts, and shiny stuff to look at. However, I wish I could walk in to an HD shop JUST ONCE and not be swarmed with sales reps like white on rice.

Last week I went to pick up an o-ring and a gasket to do some maintenance, and I wanted to look at a couple other items (and bikes) during my visit. I knew I wasn't going to spend a ton of cash, so I didn't wish to bother the paid staff and waste their time. I still had 5 people seek me out and try to sell me everything in the place.

I know they need to make their nut, but man, I couldn't get outta there fast enough. I never did spend the quality time perusing the store like I wanted too. What started out to be a casual fun trip to the candy store left me with a sour taste once again. And I probably would have impulse-bought a $40 tee shirt had I been left alone, but not this time.

Come to think of it, I've never bought a single HD branded shirt / accessory... my only HD tee shirt was a gift.

Oh well, rant over, I guess.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Funny, I've seen posts where people complain about going to buy a bike and nobody pays any attention to them so they walk out. I guess each one is different because all we get around here is a big hello and let us know if you need anything.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
edpnjax
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I walk into the local dealer here... they let me browse and maybe once in a while let me know IF I need help, they're there.

You have to remember, on the flip side many people will be ticked and walk out if someone does NOT come offer to help within seconds.

From the employees perspective, they can't win for losing... 50% of the people want to be left alone, 50% of the people want to be helped. How do you decide which 50% any customer is?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I only go when I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for a part from lshd1. Or if they are cooking free steaks,burgers,or hotdogs.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They don't really bother me when I tell them "just looking", but I have noticed that if a buy a part and have the bag in hand, I can look at new bikes all I want without sales people approaching me.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM
oestek
Advanced

Good point on the fact that customers are hard to please! I guess being ignored is worse than swarmed. mmcbeat, good tip on the purchase / shop technique!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,552 Likes on 2,500 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
They don't really bother me when I tell them "just looking", but I have noticed that if a buy a part and have the bag in hand, I can look at new bikes all I want without sales people approaching me.
Great idea! Just save the bag from your last purchase & bring it with you when you just wanna browse.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
oestek
Advanced

I bet you'd be pegged as a shoplifter pretty quickly if you walked in with the bag.

I usually only go there to purchase something, so I wouldn't feel bad about hanging out after a purchase for a little while.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,899 Likes on 1,732 Posts

I have no idea how many dealerships I've made donations to through the years, bit it's a lot and also includes many states.

I like to check the new models out and browse through the parts and accessory sections, and some even have cafe's inside the dealership that serves some darned good food!

Most dealers have tables or benches on their grounds and I like to hang-out and BS with the other customers.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Ventura, CA Harley where I bought my bike, for sure.

Glendale, CA Harley where I go for routine things, getting better.

New York, NY Harley when I first started riding, used to dig much.

Quick Reply: Has anyone been able to actually enjoy an HD dealer visit?