General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone been able to actually enjoy an HD dealer visit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I never, and I mean "NEVER" have sales people approach me when I walk into a dealership anyplace in the country. I think it's because by looking at me and/or my bike, it appears that I don't have a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out of......That and I growl real loud when I walk in the door.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Going to the dealer is sort of like visiting the in-laws. It might not be pleasant but you have to do it once in a while.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 PM
slim12
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my dealer, i only go there maybe once a month but the salesmen who sold me my bike a year ago still knows my name and ive made friends with most of the people working there. They never ask if i need help anymore but instead come over to shoot the **** with me. I honestly look forward to the part runs there because of it

Last edited by slim12; 03-21-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Yes! When I walk (ride) in they all bother me by saying hi and asking how my day is. What nerve! Then they ply me with cookies, cup cakes, punch, coffee, hot chocolate and other stuff. I'm on a diet dammit.

On my winter rides and summer also, the dealer is the half way point and all I need is to use the facilities. They even stooped to calling me their daily ride in.

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-21-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Never had a problem at vreelands or schaeffers.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oestek
I think most HD dealers are cool places to visit... lots of cool bikes, shirts, and shiny stuff to look at. However, I wish I could walk in to an HD shop JUST ONCE and not be swarmed with sales reps like white on rice.

Last week I went to pick up an o-ring and a gasket to do some maintenance, and I wanted to look at a couple other items (and bikes) during my visit. I knew I wasn't going to spend a ton of cash, so I didn't wish to bother the paid staff and waste their time. I still had 5 people seek me out and try to sell me everything in the place.

I know they need to make their nut, but man, I couldn't get outta there fast enough. I never did spend the quality time perusing the store like I wanted too. What started out to be a casual fun trip to the candy store left me with a sour taste once again. And I probably would have impulse-bought a $40 tee shirt had I been left alone, but not this time.

Come to think of it, I've never bought a single HD branded shirt / accessory... my only HD tee shirt was a gift.

Oh well, rant over, I guess.
I enjoy every visit. I also never bitch when an employee asks if I need anything.

This is called customer service. It used to be common.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a local dealership today to see a bike that was on the web site . A salesman ask if I needed an help (I said thanks just looking) . After some time he (the salesman) was still telling me what I should be looking at ? (not the bike i was interested in ) I said I,m going look around so he walked with me (thanks) . I found the sales manager (nice guy) and He was showing me the bike I had come to see . Now the original Sales guy comes over and started in . He is obnoxious as hell knows very little and not interested in the bike i am . After a very short time the sales-manager is not in the conversation any more ? I found the door . The Manager did call me and ask me to come back and talk ?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oestek
I think most HD dealers are cool places to visit... lots of cool bikes, shirts, and shiny stuff to look at. However, I wish I could walk in to an HD shop JUST ONCE and not be swarmed with sales reps like white on rice.

Last week I went to pick up an o-ring and a gasket to do some maintenance, and I wanted to look at a couple other items (and bikes) during my visit. I knew I wasn't going to spend a ton of cash, so I didn't wish to bother the paid staff and waste their time. I still had 5 people seek me out and try to sell me everything in the place.

I know they need to make their nut, but man, I couldn't get outta there fast enough. I never did spend the quality time perusing the store like I wanted too. What started out to be a casual fun trip to the candy store left me with a sour taste once again. And I probably would have impulse-bought a $40 tee shirt had I been left alone, but not this time.

Come to think of it, I've never bought a single HD branded shirt / accessory... my only HD tee shirt was a gift.

Oh well, rant over, I guess.
Grumpybear!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,845 Likes on 2,298 Posts

I really don't have the bad impression of dealers that a lot of folks do. It's a dealer. Their job is to sell you overpriced stuff and make a profit. They also have to sell bikes so they will try to strike up a 'feeler' conversation with people who walk into the dealer. Do people really expect dealers to just be walk-ins where they serve customers free stuff and the salesmen are always tucked away and hidden in the back? So if you go into one, you have to expect this. You are going to gets alesmen approaching you. Now, some dealers have bad service, but that is true of any business chain.

And people complain about $20 t-shirts and stuff, but have they ever went to the mall and shopped at places like Hollister? A plain cotton t-shirt with a logo will run you $42..I know as I had to get my niece one of the shirts for Christmas. A **** running shirt will run you about the same. Harley apparel is cheap in comparison to a lot of brands out there.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 03-21-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Sac H-D folks are great...

Quick Reply: Has anyone been able to actually enjoy an HD dealer visit?