General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone been able to actually enjoy an HD dealer visit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not just HD dealerships - it's all stores in general. Furniture stores, sporting goods stores, home improvement store, clothing store, etc.

Makes me crazy that every teeny-bopper in there, thinks they need to approach you every ten steps. Or the leisure-suit Larrys that need to be your new, BFF - "what do you ride/drive now?", "where do you live?", "what are you looking for today?"... SHUT THE FAWK UP, AND LEAVE ME ALONE! I will come find you if I need something. I usually respond with, "I'm just looking right now, but if I have any questions, I'll come look for you. What's your name?". You'd think that would suffice... but noooo. They want to know what soccer team your kid is on, what kind of cell phone you have and, what you had for lunch. GO AWAY... or I will!

What's the deal with this pestering, sales mentality? Are there really that many people out there, that are immediately talked into buying something? And do they REALLY want that kind of customer? One who's not educated about their purchase, 100% impulsive, that is going to regret it every day, after today?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Big Blue Hog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seminole Harley in Sanford Florida

These guys and gals are great. They're like good old friends always chatting other than maybe a sales guy or two once they realize your not buying a bike from them. Everyone in parts and particularly in service always have a hello for you. I am a new owner of a limited and have plenty of dumbass questions. But they always take the time to answer.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oestek
I think most HD dealers are cool places to visit... lots of cool bikes, shirts, and shiny stuff to look at. However, I wish I could walk in to an HD shop JUST ONCE and not be swarmed with sales reps like white on rice.

Last week I went to pick up an o-ring and a gasket to do some maintenance, and I wanted to look at a couple other items (and bikes) during my visit. I knew I wasn't going to spend a ton of cash, so I didn't wish to bother the paid staff and waste their time. I still had 5 people seek me out and try to sell me everything in the place.

I know they need to make their nut, but man, I couldn't get outta there fast enough. I never did spend the quality time perusing the store like I wanted too. What started out to be a casual fun trip to the candy store left me with a sour taste once again. And I probably would have impulse-bought a $40 tee shirt had I been left alone, but not this time.

Come to think of it, I've never bought a single HD branded shirt / accessory... my only HD tee shirt was a gift.

Oh well, rant over, I guess.
Go to Pro Team Harley in Lawton OK or Forman Harley in Stillwater OK. Both are great dealerships and people.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
B.K.
Road Master
Received 314 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a great dealer here in Lisle, IL. The have no commission sales guys and never "swarm." They are ready to talk if you want or just help you find a part. I spent 2 hours talking to a sales guy, just sitting on a ton of bikes, shooting the sh@t, just hanging out, and no pressure sales at all. I like my dealer.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Bayfield Cty. Biker
Cruiser
Default HD

I am guessing that they are doing what their bosses are telling them to do. If they don't approach customers there is no need for them. I'm sure the sales staff is not watching who approached you and feel that they are just doing their job. If you don't like it...................shop on line and quit whining.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Bayfield Cty. Biker
I am guessing that they are doing what their bosses are telling them to do. If they don't approach customers there is no need for them. I'm sure the sales staff is not watching who approached you and feel that they are just doing their job. If you don't like it...................shop on line and quit whining.
I agree.

Heritage is a good dealer. So are most of the Chicago area dealers. I think the only reason my dealers sales people don't bother me is because THEY KNOW ME. When I go in they all say hi and not much else until I strike up the conversation. Maybe if you went into the dealer once in a while and just talked to them they'd get to know you too and not pester you - that is if you do like your dealer.
I've never had much of a problem with obnoxious sales people even on my many trips. As was said earlier if someone comes up to me I just, politely, tell them just looking but I'll come get them when I have a question. So far 100% of them walk away.

Those that complain must never have worked as a salesperson. I did for years and the obnoxious 2% of the customers finally made me get out of that racket because you could never threat them as they treated you - company policy "The customer is always right"
That's bull$hit. My outlook was I will treat you the same way you treat me. The suits didn't like that so I said adious MF.

I just wished the sales people stayed longer Every bike I bought the salesman was usually gone in about a month or two. I hate retraining new sales people. ROFLMAO

Old 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
xwino
Cruiser

Mountain Creek Harley in Dalton Georgia puts out free hot dogs on Saturday and is okay with 'hang-arounds." I agree with a lot of people have said, respect goes both ways. There are places that give 20% on line discounts but I am willing to pay a little more for personalized service. Typically you end up with 10-15% discount if you are a regular and they will give you a HOG, Club or Public Safety kind of discount if they know you.
Its like the opening song for Cheers, "Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name!"

Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I go to the dealer every Sunday...Destination Daytona. All the sales guys recognise me.
The parts guy...Dale, knows not to staple the little receipt to the BIG receipt. The dealer ship treats me like it is my home. I then stop next door to Saints and Sinners Pub. Usually Ashley or Christi is there.
If your dealer treats you otherwise, you may be a stranger (a simple "No thanks, I'm here for parts." or "I found everything I need, just looking for things I don't need now." can solve the problem also).

Chuck

Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I REALLY enjoyed one HD ealer visit if you know what I mean...

Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 AM
HRCH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My HD dealer Williams HD in Lebanon is the best. They treat my wife very well and professional. She didn't buy her bike there because they didn't have one she wanted and she couldn't wait any longer. They treat us both very well. Just as if she bought her bike there. Same perks. So, when we walked in one weekend to pick up some stuff for my wife's Sporty we saw the Breakout. We knew I had to get it and we didn't think twice about getting it anyplace else. We didn't even question the price. The sales guy discounted the bike a little, waived the dealer prep, and threw in the 1k mile service. All this without even asking. We would have gladly paid a little more. We just felt that this dealer has already earned our business by treating the both of us very well even before we began to drop a lot of cash.

Last edited by HRCH; 04-04-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone been able to actually enjoy an HD dealer visit?