General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hanging them Up - This time for good

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:38 PM
lencap
|
Cruiser
Default Hanging them Up - This time for good

I want to thank all of you on this forum. Throughout the years you've provided friendship, advice and expertise. When I had questions you patiently answered them, when I was down, you lifted me back up, and when I was ready to quit you told me to hang in there and think it through.

I've been riding for over 40 years. I've owned Honda, Yamaha, BMW, Ducati, MV Agusta and very late in life Harley motorcycles. Since finding that the main reason I never owned a Harley was related to misconceptions and not facts, I've owned a 2008 Anniversary Sportster, 2011 Heritage Classic, 2009 Softail Deluxe, and a 2006 Street Rod. Each was wonderful, and each put a smile on my face on every ride. I would never have experienced any of these fine machines without the help of this forum.

And now, as I prepare for the upcoming riding season, I've just returned from a 60 mile evening ride and realize that my skills have indeed fallen from what they were, that my night vision isn't as good as it once was, that "cagers" drive even more aggressively and without attention to others than they did last year. For the first time in my riding career I was uncomfortable on my bike. That's a feeling I never expected to have, but I experienced it tonight.

And so, after "retiring" from riding at least twice in the past, this time seems like the real deal. I'm going to "hang them up". I've written something similar in the past, and every spring I get the bug to ride again, but today was different. Today the limiting factor isn't desire, it's a lower skill level. And that is something that causes doubt in my own ability. And that is why I'm going to stop riding.

Along 40 years of riding I've had a lot of good times, a lot of good memories, and this forum's members are part of the highlights. Thanks to all of you. If I may, some thoughts after 40 years. I may have written about some of this in the past, but I think it's worth commenting on:

Be grateful that you ride - not everyone does, and fewer still get to enjoy the friendship, and fun that can only be experienced on a motorcycle.

Thank your partner/significant other. Over the years my wife has been with me on many, many rides. But arthritis got the better of her years ago. She no longer enjoyed riding, the pain was the reason. She never hesitated, but insisted that I keep riding, even if it was without her. I told her it wouldn't be the same without her but she said to ride and enjoy it for her. Many a day she was home when I was on the bike -- quite a gift of love. Don't take it for granted, not everyone is so lucky.

Riding in the rain will make you a better rider. Yes, I know this isn't something that everyone enjoys. I understand. But when you learn how to ride in the rain, how to handle and adjust your bike, how to be aware of the oil in the road coming to the surface as the rain starts, and how to ride effectively and safely in the rain, you gain another level of skill and confidence.

Get the gear you need and use it. I won't tell anyone to wear gear that they don't want to wear. This is still American and we are still free to ride as we choose. I will say that over the years having the right gear helped me ride longer and more comfortably. Good rain gear, heated vests, comfortable helmets, good gloves, and all the rest made me enjoy the ride, and allowed me to ride in situations where I couldn't have. (I remember leaving my home in 70 degree weather and when I got to my destination it was 34 degrees and raining. Gratefully I had on the right gear). And on the one occasion when I didn't keep the rubber side down, the gear I wore saved me from a situation that could have been a lot worse. I walked away with nothing more than a very minor scrape. My helmet, boots and gloves weren't so lucky, and yes, it was my fault - just a moment of being careless.

Get training. Again, I'm not telling anyone what to do, but over the years I've taken dozens of riding classes. MSF basic and skilled rider classes many times, Keith Code Superbike School (not strictly Harley oriented, but you sure will learn a lot), many track days on different tracks, and BikeSafe a wonderful training provided by the NC Highway Patrol - free to all NC residents. A full day on the road with HP officers whose only job is to show you how to ride your bike better. Amazing training - highly recommended.

Every day you don't ride is one day that you will never have again. At my age I look back on the "chores" I had to do, and all the other things that kept me off my bike. Some of them were things that couldn't be helped, but some were me saying "I'll ride tomorrow." Well, today is my tomorrow and all of those rides not taken are memories I'll never have. Don't let it happen to you.

Share your riding with others. Over the years I've shared my riding with everyone. I've met people who were afraid of riding and never owned a motorcycle. I spoke with each of them, showed them my bike, answered their questions and offered to help. Sometimes they took the next step, other times not. Either way they learned that motorcycle riders are real people, and I always educated them about how hard it is for a motorcycle rider to recover from dumb driver mistakes and how dangerous it is for riders. Many of them didn't realize how their actions could impact others.

Finally, enjoy the ride - never take it for granted and never pass another rider that needs help. Some day it may be you.

Thanks again to everyone.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:40 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Enjoy yourself whatever you do.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:45 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Take care friend.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:45 PM
glock221
Road Warrior

Good luck. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Glock

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:46 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

You did'nt have a lot of posts in your time hear. We hardly got to know you and there is no reason you cannot continue to post hear.
Stick around man.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:46 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Dang!

That's a tough one we'll all have to face, one day.

Be well.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:47 PM
MrMojo
Road Captain

Wow. Nicely said. Good luck and God Bless.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:48 PM
Rogator
Cruiser

Thanks for the write up. Enjoy yourself what ever you do.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:52 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

That should be a sticky on how all of us should "retire" from riding, with advice, wisdom, etc.

Excellent post, one of the best I've ever read in all my years on various forums.

Props to you for 4 decades of riding and walking away when you know it's time.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:54 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Glad it was a long run for you and sad to hear you have to bow-out. Hope we all can walk away from two-wheels someday and have the same great experiences. Take care!

Quick Reply: Hanging them Up - This time for good