General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hanging them Up - This time for good

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013 | 09:44 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior

Respects, Brother.

Old 03-21-2013 | 10:39 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks! Best of luck to you. And if for some reason you change your mind again, promise I won't give you a hard time. LOL I'm going to take some of that advice you offered.

Old 03-21-2013 | 10:59 PM
rallevar
Cruiser

WOW, forty years of riding...that's quite an accomplishment, congratulations. Good luck in anything you do.

Old 03-22-2013 | 06:39 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior

I Respect and understand your decision, and as others have said on here, no one would have anything to say about showing up to a bike function in a cage. You can still be involved with them, with your Wife but not on a bike. Or just enjoy the next phase of life, whatever it may be.
Your 40 years of riding I'm sure have some tales that could be shared on the forum with great interest. I know I would be interested.
Thanks for the classy explanation.
Jody

Last edited by chevele72; 03-22-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2013 | 10:06 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Very nice post. Sorry to hear you are hanging it up but I'm glad you've decided to stick around and still contribute to the forum. Good luck in the future with wherever life takes you!

Old 03-22-2013 | 10:27 AM
Fuzzman
Road Captain

Best of luck.. Take care of yourself. And thank you for great advice! Godspeed.

Old 03-23-2013 | 04:36 AM
InglouriousBasterd
Cruiser

That was a great read, lencap. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-23-2013 | 06:00 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Default I tried

Excellent words to listen to....And it struck a spot in my brain that I so understand. I tried to communicate this on here for myself. I had alot of people tell me "oh just keep riding I'm really old and I am!" Your post has resulted in people understanding your concerns. I have noticed after my 40 some years I aint what I was. I told my family I was done with Harleys last year and was looking for a lighter bike. But like you said you thought you were done a couple times before now. I still got the itch to ride so bought my last Harley last month. I am hoping I can ride till I feel I can't then maybe a trike kit? Its the weight of the bike I fear and my balance every now and then. My Old age is starting to corner me and sooner or later I will admit it has won.
Hap

Old 05-06-2013 | 07:24 AM
Bkellyusa
Intermediate

lencap,

I really appreciate what you've said here. I think this is one of the most important subjects to address. Unfortunately I don't think most of us want to talk about retiring from riding. I myself am going through the same thing. At 62 I am still years away from retiring from riding but I know that day is coming someday. As it is I already have started limiting how much I ride and when and where. For example I have already limited riding at night and I don't ride below 40 degrees much anymore. At least not on purpose. I've also gotten real interested in improving my riding skills lately so that helps as well. Never the less I hope when my time comes I handle it as well as you have.

One of the things that will be hardest for me is what do I do with the motorcycle. I've had my current Harley for 23 years. It truly is a part of me. I can't imagine selling it and I can't imagine watching it sit idle in the garage either.

Once again I want to say how much I appreciate your posting on this subject.

Old 05-06-2013 | 04:26 PM
iyiyiyiy
Intermediate

Nice post, bought my softail a couple years ago at 61yrs. from someone who also was hanging it up. Had his bike for 20 years. I know my time on the road is limited, but rode to Canada first year and California the next. I still stop and have an occasional chat with the former owner of my bike, show him what i have done. He is grateful some one got it and didn't chop it up and kept it close to what it has been. I keep looking for something smaller to retire riding when the hd gets too big for my aging strength. Haven't found it yet, but don't need it yet. Maybe smaller is the ticket???

Quick Reply: Hanging them Up - This time for good