General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinkin this was my last group ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats the definition of "large Groups" more than 15,20 or 50?

I'm thinking that if you know the group and its just not a group thrown together it makes a difference.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts

A while back I asked HD Forum members for advice while planning to attend my first charity ride. The responses were clear--send money and skip the ride!

I agree to avoid "everybody's welcome" rides.

If I know the riders I'll go, but still prefer to go solo on my owne terms riding my own ride.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM
RK1679
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I choose to never ride in a parade or large group anymore. Prefer riding with others I know have like riding styles

Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Been more than a few wrecks where a couple of people died in the carnage. Multi bike pile ups are not fun.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:57 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been on 3 HOG rides a few years ago. I can not understand why everyone that shows up has to ride as a WHOLE group. Too many variables including folks you dont know.
I would think for safety one could limit the group to so many and delay the groups by 5 to 10 minutes. Everyone will get there, safer I think

Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Raganbogan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done several group rides, some poker runs and some Hog groups. Always had plenty of space and never everyone all in one group. Makes me nervous as heck though, always worrying what everybody else is going to do. But meeting new people makes it good. I would not ride one if I didn't have lots of space around me and responsible riders. Ever notice how we all think we are above average riders, though?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Raganbogan
I've done several group rides, some poker runs and some Hog groups. Always had plenty of space and never everyone all in one group. Makes me nervous as heck though, always worrying what everybody else is going to do. But meeting new people makes it good. I would not ride one if I didn't have lots of space around me and responsible riders. Ever notice how we all think we are above average riders, though?
Yeah, we're all pros. LOL However, it's not always a newbie or someone with just average riding skills that cause the problems. A lot of times it's someone who has a lot of miles and many years in the seat. A skilled moron with no common sense can be more dangerous than a newbie who has a good head on his shoulders.

When I used to do group rides and I knew someone who was a new rider, I'd made sure i told him/her to never assume everyone else will do the right thing and be ready for anything. That's one mistake some new riders make. They have too much faith in the more experienced riders.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 PM
EZSkankin29
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a fan of large groups either.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM
god61021
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

never ridden in a group. one time me and two co workers rode all day but i always kept the same distance between us that i would if we were in cars

Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2012 SWITCHBACK - - Warranty and vibration

I am getting close to making a decision regarding purchasing a Switchback.
I have found several used ones, and the price is right. But the posts I see regarding vibration problems has be worried.
I had the dealer check out the VIN number of one of the bikes I am looking at, to see if there was a recall, and the answer was no recalls on it.
Does the warranty, cover the vibration problems any of you have had?
I cannot make modifications and repairs myself, so am not looking on how to fix it myself.
Thanks for your input.
Balloo

Quick Reply: I'm thinkin this was my last group ride