General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinkin this was my last group ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not my cup of tea. Recipe for disaster when you get people of different skill levels.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Litl D
Cruiser

I've found the secret to riding in groups is organization, good leadership, a program to assure that those who ride are up to the challenge, and some common sense.

Full Disclosure: I'm in a HOG group. We routinely run rides of 10-20 bikes thru the N Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, North Carolina twisties, and rarely have a problem. We insure rides are "classified" by difficulty level, and we make sure those in attendance for any particular ride are "vetted" to that level. We maintain a staggered formation, keep a reasonable gap between bikes consistent with the traffic and situations, and never push anyone beyond their limits. In the real twisties, we single file and/or let the faster bikes go first, so that those who are a bit more wary can bring up the rear. We keep Road Captains front, scattered thruout the formation, and have First Responder level first aid and communications with the Road Captains in the sweep. Well practiced hand signals are passed from front to rear, so there is rarely a surprise. We train the newbies, and the intentional peg draggers are held in check. We move with the speed limit or the flow of traffic.

Not unknown for us to have 8-10 fully qualified Road Captains in any group of 15 or more bikes. Overkill? Maybe, but we take safe riding seriously.

Once you learn the secrets, it's a riot. We've had a few dropped bikes, but it's the stops on off camber roads at stopsigns, or the sloping parking lots that get us, not maneuvers in traffic.

For those of you who prefer to ride alone, or with good friends; cool, more power to you. But don't bad mouth the groups because there are good ones out there, and you might just not have found one yet. (As for the charity/dealership / "some one else organized it" rides where any idiot with a bike joins in for kicks - I avoid them - as that's where the non-riders ride.

Last edited by Litl D; 03-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

For those of you who prefer to ride alone, or with good friends; cool, more power to you. But don't bad mouth the groups because there are good ones out there, and you might just not have found one yet. (As for the charity/dealership / "some one else organized it" rides where any idiot with a bike joins in for kicks - I avoid them - as that's where the non-riders ride.

I don't recall any bad mouthing just people that prefer to not ride in groups.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
FatBuell
Road Warrior
Received 322 Likes on 183 Posts

My immediate family is a group of 9 bikes, so that's about it a couple times a year.

Rode in larger groups a few times, never really had any issues. Quite enjoyable actually.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM
tconrad002
Novice

I firmly believe in only riding with people I know. I don't trust most people a motorcycle is the equivalent to a loaded gun in the wrong hands.

Too many drink and ride.

Most of them try to show off too much around other "hard core" bikers.

Avoid these situations if you can I have heard too many horror stories.

Be safe and come home to your family.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Riich
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I truly enjoy just riding by myself, but I also find enjoyment with riding with close friends who I know and trust. Group riding would only work for me if I can bring up the rear. I've seen too many guys do too many stupid things, especially poker runs where everyone finds it appealing to drink and ride. I don't mind a beer with lunch, but I've seen guys that are tanked get on their bike and head out. It usually turns into a race. No thanks.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

I like to keep a very good distance in the stagger when we ride but some riders like to ride almost side by side...I like 3 or 4 in ride...About 3 or 4 times a year we do a toy ride or a poker run and the mix of people is adequate at best... you have the wannabe "bikers" and the newbies that want to ride side by side because they just finished watching all the seasons of SOA and think it's cool...they worry the **** out of me...

Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

This is not really my thing, but I have been at lots of big events where I have sat in traffic surrounded by hundreds of other riders and never really felt that worried about it.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

This is why I ride solo.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

When i ride alone i never feel lonely as there is another heart beating in my Beast...I had to dig real , real deep to find that **** within me to write...LOL...

Quick Reply: I'm thinkin this was my last group ride