General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinkin this was my last group ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
clbking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually ride alone or up to 2-3 but at times, there will be up to 5-7. I always keep that 2 second minimum distance from the rider in front of me and stay staggered. In the mountains and narrow roads, we just ride single file.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM
rdb1976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode in the PGR Wreath Ride this year. It was my first and last group ride. The new guy on the brand new bike he just bought days before spent a little too much time waving to the people on the bridges and wiped out the guy in front of him. The ride was poorly planned, poorly executed, and very unimpressive. I will pass next year and ride with my MC instead.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM
HotVrod
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by simpkinst
Um.......not trying to be a ***** here but I have to ask....

How exactly does one "go down" simply be riding over oil in the road? It sounds like you here goin straight down the highway. There is no way this will cause a wreck unless someone did something silly line slam on the brakes or swerve.
good question but let me tell you another story.

We were in a group, 20 plus bikes.3 infront of me going thru a residential area to the next leg of the run, a good friend in the lead doing maybe 30mph if that! he swerves of the the left I am thinking WTF then I hear his engine pegging the limiter he and his wife go down.. he was spinning like a top on his bald head all in the mean time trying to hold his gal up off the ground with one arm...anyway both were scraped up but not bad. we all come to a stop and a few guys are pointing at the road to a large, long oil slick..looking about 1/4 mile up the street we see a smoking pickup that just blew its engine..
anyway he is a very experienced rider and the bike just slid out from underneath him in a very gentle curve..obviously as he fell off the bike he was gripping the throttle and only made things worse..**** happens...

Old 03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I was wondering the same thing. Many years of riding and I have seen a lot of stuff. Made lots of group rides for many stupid reasons and some good causes. I answered his oil post. Rode on a memorial ride with my club two weeks ago. We parked in a loose gravel parking lot after riding down a long gravel driveway without a single bike going down. When we turned on that driveway. I knew someone might go down. I knew it would not be me. Apparently everyone else thought the same thing because no one went down. I wasn't there, but I wonder how big the spot was and if it was rider error that started the chain of events. OP, describe the size of the oil slick please. Knowing what yall came across and what caused the chain of events might prevent on of us from having to experience it. How big was it? When did yall see it? Was there anything that kept yall from riding through it without getting unstable. The only unpredictable things I have come across in West Texas is the weather and critters so far.
There was a strip of oil about 50 yards long in the right hand riding lane , not like a fresh puddle but a film of oil ,

Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

The bike just started wobbling like craz and he went down, The first thing he said was what the f dd I hit?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I ride in a 'Meetup' group frequently.. Yes we have those that aren't the best riders, and we are all cautious around those in particular. It is up to whomever leading the ride as to whether he wants to have a 'safety' chat at the beginning of the ride or not. We have some members that need a talking to occasionally, we do it and get on with the ride.. We have held our own little rider freshen up course too... A lot of people take the MSF course and thats all the training they ever got.

While I agree with the dangerous part, as I've said many times to many non-riders: 'Motorcycle riding is inherently dangerous'............

Fortunately, I haven't seen an accident where a cage hit someone in a group (knocking wood).. I think there is a little more safety in numbers.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:25 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about all of that. Hope everyone is OK.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:52 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
There's a big difference between riding in a formation, and riding in a club. Club riders know each other, and how the group will act as a group. Formation riders are just that, riding in formation. There's no telling the skill level or experience any member of that formation has.

Group riding is a skill that should be practiced.
Exactly. My club rides fast and tight but you know there's no beginners and any rider that isn't up to snuff is weeded out in the hangaround or prospect stage. Plus you know darn well if you do something stupid you're gonna get your butt handed to you so everyone's on their toes. Not to mention there's club rules and it's organized.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

The first and last group ride I did was with a Harley dealer, that had a deal with Miller Park where you had special parking, seats in the Harley Davidson balcony, and a buffet, to watch the Brewers.

Was in a group of about 20 in a light rain, on congested I94, when a rider lowsides for no reason at about 50mph. His Road King pops up off engine guards, and continues at an angle into the concrete median. I am about 50' away watching this all in "accident slow motion". I realize I am in the richochet path so I gas it and his bike passes ten yards behind me. My wife is screaming the whole time.
Rider was OK, and went to the game. My last group ride though.

Last edited by Ron750; 03-18-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

I here ya large groups can take the fun out of a good day. I seem to tense up trying to keep an eye on those in front and the back as well. A freind and I signed up and did the 911 ride on the ten year anniversary, they estimated 1900 bikes by the time we left Shanksville
, Pa. It was the worst 3 day ride I was ever on. A miserable rubber band ride for 3 freaking days. Never again, I do A couple fund raisers a year ride in make a donation and ride out solo.

Quick Reply: I'm thinkin this was my last group ride