Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinkin this was my last group ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. I may ride with one or two others, but a big group ride just isn't for me either. I like to enjoy my ride and not be stressed about where others are and what they are doing.

I do hope that everyone that went down was ok..

Last edited by Pa-Rider; 03-17-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I stopped riding with large groups years ago. Although, about every other year I'll join in on the local Rolling Thunder ride just because it goes right through my town so I figured 'why not'. But I'll tell ya.. I've seen a bike on bike accident almost every time.

I ride with 3 buddies 99% of the time. Much more relaxing that way.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I rode in a ride last year that I had to leave. We made several stops along the trip to local watering holes. Som of the people were slamming them pretty hard and their abilities were fading fast. Before we got going they had an open bar and several were hitting them pretty hard there too. No appeal to watching that so I left sorry that it was a benefit ride. But it was becoming little benefit for me

Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

The first guy down probably could have been up and walking. But we wouldn't let him! The other two were up and walking around I'm sure their speed was way down by the time they hit the oil.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I like group rides, haven't had any issues with any of them unless somebody is really slow and lags behind all the time. Ridden with up to 30 bikes but you are expected to know how to ride and keep up and in a staggered formation.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 PM
HotVrod
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I use to organize rides every weekend for my group of friends...always gave the proposed route out, had a little talk at the start and looked over the riders..if they were unknown kept em in the back...staggered and hopefully everyone stayed on their line...got tired of all the bs lining up the rides...
Now we have about 6 couples we ride with..knowing each others style and habits is a good thing...

Glad your friends are ok.....

Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

if you don't like the group ride, don't go on it. but, don't give up on the benefit portion. i will go to several benefit rides, pay my donation, hang out, chat with folks, etc. but i also don't like riding in a group with a lot of folks that i don't know.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Rider Steve
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Panchorelly
I wasn't sure about joining hog group anyway , this really has nothing to do with hog more to do with group riding! I'm more of a loner. But I thought I would give it a try for the social aspect , once again I'm really more of a loner ,
Yeap, me too. I remember watching Fonda at the end to the movie "Wild Hogs". He said he rides alone to get back into what riding is all about.

Last edited by Rider Steve; 03-17-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 AM
medeng8
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there as well. One ride that made me quit group riding was when the guy that was leading the ride decided to make a turn at the last minute and everyone behind him had to break hard. Nobody was expecting the turn as the guy was lost or something. I was 2nd to last and riding 2-up. No big issue for me as I had enough space to brake safely. We were on a country road that had no traffic. Had it been in town or the highway might have had a different outcome.

I still rode with those guys, just not when that guy was leading.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

when we all get out for a ride i go tail end charlie its the safest place,the only danger is getting hit by all the bits falling off everyones bikes

Quick Reply: I'm thinkin this was my last group ride