General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS on 08 Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013 | 02:37 PM
08kingrider
|
Novice
Default ABS on 08 Road King?

I have a 08 Road King Classic - 105th anniversary edition. When ordering braided cables at the dealer I was asked if it has ABS. I didn't have the bike with me and the parts guy couldn't tell from the VIN. Anyone know how I can determine this? Appreciate anyone's response.

Old 03-17-2013 | 05:36 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior

I don't have ABS but I think if you look at the left side of the front wheel if it is abs you will have a black spacer and you should have a wire coming out of the abs sensor.Non abs should have a shiny spacer.It should also have a flashing light come on when you start up that will go out when you start rolling.

Old 03-17-2013 | 05:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by popawcritter
I don't have ABS but I think if you look at the left side of the front wheel if it is abs you will have a black spacer and you should have a wire coming out of the abs sensor.Non abs should have a shiny spacer.It should also have a flashing light come on when you start up that will go out when you start rolling.
this is correct. if you have abs, you will have a second wire that runs parallel with and zip tied to your left caliper brake line. it's very obvious, not like you're looking for waldo.

Old 03-17-2013 | 08:01 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

Also there's a black plastic retaining clip for the wire thats mounted on the clutch side brake caliper, if you look close it says ABS on it. The big givaway on an FLHRC (Classic) is the wire, although models with fender lights like the FLHR also have a wire that runs down in front to power the light.

If you still can't figure it out pull the brake side side cover off and see if there's a brake line junction block there- if there is it's ABS.

Last edited by Loc_Tite; 03-17-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2013 | 11:17 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

the reason your dealer needs to know if it has ABS or not is because on NON abs brakes, your brake line runs from your right hand grip master cylinder straight to the tee block under the forks then to each caliper.
on ABS brakes, your brake line from the right hand grip master cylinder runs back to your ABS control module, then another line goes forward to the tee block under the forks, then to each caliper.
suggestion: on ABS brakes, when changing brake lines, pull the 40 amp breaker from the fuse box BEFORE you start and DO NOT put it back in until you FINISH bleeding the brakes. failure to do so will set off the ABS fault code and it will take a trip to the dealership to re-set the code.

did I mention experience is the best teacher of all

Old 04-18-2013 | 11:37 AM
RoninR1
Intermediate
Default ABS Brakes

Originally Posted by DZLDR
the reason your dealer needs to know if it has ABS or not is because on NON abs brakes, your brake line runs from your right hand grip master cylinder straight to the tee block under the forks then to each caliper.
on ABS brakes, your brake line from the right hand grip master cylinder runs back to your ABS control module, then another line goes forward to the tee block under the forks, then to each caliper.
suggestion: on ABS brakes, when changing brake lines, pull the 40 amp breaker from the fuse box BEFORE you start and DO NOT put it back in until you FINISH bleeding the brakes. failure to do so will set off the ABS fault code and it will take a trip to the dealership to re-set the code.

did I mention experience is the best teacher of all
Thanks DZLDR,
I'm looking at changing brake lines after my handlebar conversion. I would have missed the 40 amp breaker trick for sure.