General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you stop to help someone broke down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Do you stop to help someone broke down?

While riding with a friend in the Lake Lure, Chimney Rock area of NC this past weekend, as we were coming out of Lake Lure there was a beautiful black custom chopper sitting on the side of the road with the rider and his girlfriend looking and scratching their heads. We made the universal :you ok" sign and he shrugged his shoulders. We turned around and went back and helped him get going. Damndest thing, you have to put gas in to make the things run.

Now Lake Lure is a big weekend destination for riders. Probably 100 riders came by while we were there but no others stopped or slowed to ask if assistance was needed. Why? The guy I ride with and purchased my bike from has ridden 40 years and I look to him for guidance. He was at a loss for words to explain why someone would not help to stop a fellow rider, irregardless of what he rode. And I know of the horror stories that could happen, but at 2pm in a crowded area, why did no one else offer to help? HAve we become so callus that we can't stop help one of our own. From the deck of a RUB bar that had about 100 bikes there, you could clearly see this bike on the side of the road. Not a person put their beer down and came to check on this rider.

Luckily, it was only out of gas, but what if it was something serious? Would you want to be on the side of the road with your lady and no biker would stop? Just curious about your thoughts.

Bubba

Old 08-16-2005, 10:12 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Do you stop to help someone broke down?

Yes!

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there many times. 25 minute ride for me to Lake Lure so I know it well and I know the croud well too. I'm not surprised actually.
They're complacent and have an attitude that 'someone else will take care of it'.

Nothing unusual around here these days.
Especially when helping someone might:
1. make them actually talk to a stranger and
2. actually interrupt their fun little descent down the winding road to 74.

We have to beat these people here at work to make them actually take a breath, much less work, which is why we're another example of importing our labor, legal or otherwise, because they're working circles around these locals, and do a better job, even with a language barrier.

I blame public education. They've been taught to care nothing about anyone but themselves, because the government will make them care about others by taking their tax dollars. Not to get too philosophical, but it's the opinion of someone who grew up here and moved to a very large city with a completely different mindset, then back again.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Markcuda
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guilty of not stopping some times.
90% of the time that I do stop, the person stopped just to rest or smoke a cig.[:@]
Do we just let them fend for them selves?????????

Old 08-16-2005, 10:44 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I stop for just about anyone on the side of the road, always for bikers. There have been several times when I changed a tire for an elderly couple, showed up late for dinner, dirty, to an angry wife, then she saw me, knew what happened and just shrugged.

Once a woman had two kids with her...it was 75 miles to the nearest services...I rode them the whole way (I was in a cage), singing Marine Corps cadences and songs to keep the kid entertained (I had no radio, I was a Lance Corporal and BROKE).

I've been offered as much as $500, in every instance I always tell them to give it to the Boy Scouts. I've never taken a dime.

Mac

Old 08-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And ya know.. That's why I look at my son and I say "Boy, you're gonna be a scout someday" [sm=usa.gif]

Old 08-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Magic Mule
Novice

The solution to this problem -for me is, I only need to look as far, as that man that looks back at me in the mirror every morn and ask him the question----"How do I want to be known and what am I doing to be known that way?". I stop (90% of the time) and offer help. I believe that if I pass it on, the same will be done when inevitiably one of my family needs the help or at the least the offer of help. Truely it's a great time to be alive, we can/do change this world and make a difference. ----- just my take on this topic. Thnx all. From a Mule

Old 08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I always stop (unless they are on a curve or I can;t stop safely).

Two instances:

1. An older FLH off the road itslef...no one arund. A few miles down the road, I spotted a leather clad guy walking...his sacoot had just started smoking (30 miles or so after taking on fuel). I had the same happen to me in WV the prior year...bad gas (diesel mixed in), so I hauled him back to his scoot, tore down the carb...sure enough....diesel. We drained the gas, rinsed the float bowl and cleaned the jets and siphoned about a gallon from my tank (I always caryy about 15 feet of 1/4" plastic hose!)....followed him to the next fuel stop...where he insisted he buy me lunch.

2. Left Reno earlyone Saturday (was in reno for my RVN USMC reunion) to run to Yerington to visit an aging aunt. Hot ride (temperature was 90s plus). Coming back, I few cages passed me on a long grade...a blue Ford, a white Chev pickup, and a red Firbired...couple of others. Just at the top of the grade, I smelled the familiar smell of, "hhmmm that's rubber or oil!", and started looking for an escape route just in case. Turned out it was the Firbird...now off the road in a small turn out area. Two babes in it (school teachers about 23 years of age on vacation). Car was smoking and it was definately rubber. The clutch to the AC had locked up but the belt was just glazed and still OK. I had tools on the scoot, so I backed off the AC com-pressor and tightened the alternator mounts....they could run, but no AC. I followed them the90 miles or so to Reno and pulled alongside and shoted I was at my exit, shot ahead, and left the freeway...they followed. fter a few blocks and stoplights, I was at the hotel and they were still behind me. I walked over to see if all was well and the cutie behind ther wheel had her purse out and wanted to pay me. I declined, but they offered dinner or a drink (which I also had to decline....the reunion dinner was about to start). They said they would just like to thank me and replay me because they could have been stuck forhours. Well...my partener was a GoldWing rider who has led a rather sheltered life...not much excitement. I asked the babes to do me a favor...they agreed. I took my camera and positioned myself near the room door. They knoocked and when he opened the door asked if he was "Marc"...then said that I had sent a special gift, pulled thir shirts up and falshed my Bro!!! I still have that pic!!!! (Too bad my vantage pint was from the side and rear!

So....yeah...always stop!!

Old 08-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

My faith in human nature is renewed. We had an instance nearby in Charlotte where someone bought someone elses lunch one day..A total stranger and when the recipient asked what they could do to repay, they reply was to do the same for someone else "to pay it forward not back" it got picked up by the local paper and the chain went for weeks. I know if it's my wife who was stranded, I'd be happy someone stopped to help.

To all those who stop and help others ....It'll come back to you in ways you can't think about. Maybe it'll change the opinion of us dirty old bikers.

Bubba[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 08-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Pat
Road Master

Yes I do, doesn't matter if I'm riding or driving. Something I learned from my dad.

Pat

Quick Reply: Do you stop to help someone broke down?