General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride a Hard Tail? Step Inside Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013 | 03:31 PM
Wendell Allen
|
Cruiser
Default Ride a Hard Tail? Step Inside Please

I've got a shot at a very nice hard tail custom chopper with a fat *** tire on the back for a great price, and I'm really thinkin' about it. I've never ridden one before though and this one's in a different state, so I don't wanna drive all the way there just to see if I'll be able to take it. I've got a Dyna Super Glide now, so the chop will be a bar hopper for me. Since you've ridden a hard tail before (or you wouldn't be reading this), what can I expect from a ride stand point? Is it something I would wanna see a chiropractor after riding, or will it be OK for weekend fun rides around town?
Cheers!
Wendell

Old 03-13-2013 | 03:40 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Well the closest I've come to riding a hardtail was my Sportster. You look about my age. I'd have to assume for short rides it would be ok but no rear suspension is rough on the bod.

Old 03-13-2013 | 04:13 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Can you take it, depends on you, the bike and to some degree the tire size and how much air pressure is in it. The hard tail suspension can be hard on the bike as well.

Another thing to consider is support for parts and maintenance. Quite a few manufacturers went out of business.
Probably not a big issue for do it yourself types that don't mind making a different part fit. Many dealers won't touch them.

Old 03-13-2013 | 08:11 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Rode a 52 pan over everything west of the Rockies from the early 70s to the late 90s (used my 65 for ranges beyond). A rigid is probably an acquired tatse for most. After I am finished with my 49 I will probably do the same with it as I did with the 52.

Never rode on one of those with the fat rear ends. The only ones I have got close to were the Big Dogs models when the owners were stranded on the side of the rode (3x now). Think if I ever got one I would go through it first front to back and check everything so as not to look like a dummy if it stopped and not have any clue about a possible problem and solution.

Old 03-13-2013 | 08:29 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member

Rode my buddies BMC chopper. I liked it. Not for long trips.

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:23 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

How smooth are the roads by you? When I had my '48 pan in the '70's every cigarette butt felt like a speed bump. It might be tolerable if it has a seat with springs on it. I still think some of the bumps I hit back then are haunting me today. Other then that, invest in alot of lock-tite.,,

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:41 PM
7lazydaze
Intermediate

I think you should go for it.
They aren't too bad and if you wanna just use it to bar hop it seems like the perfect bike for that. Put on a springer seat if it doesn't already have one and you should be good.

I know some guys who take really long trips on hard tails and swear by it, and others who can't stand them.

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:49 PM
siclmn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wendell Allen
I've got a shot at a very nice hard tail custom chopper with a fat *** tire on the back for a great price, and I'm really thinkin' about it. I've never ridden one before though and this one's in a different state, so I don't wanna drive all the way there just to see if I'll be able to take it. I've got a Dyna Super Glide now, so the chop will be a bar hopper for me. Since you've ridden a hard tail before (or you wouldn't be reading this), what can I expect from a ride stand point? Is it something I would wanna see a chiropractor after riding, or will it be OK for weekend fun rides around town?
Cheers!
Wendell
Do you really drink alcohol and then get on your bike?
How much do you drink before you decide enough is enough?
Once I had only 1 beer and then I climbed on and thought I would pass cars on a cloverleaf and get on the freeway. 5 seconds later I saw the speedometer reading 110 and I pulled over and stopped on the shoulder. I sat there for a minute and got my bearings and headed for home.
So I just don't get the "bar hopper" idea on a motorcycle.

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:54 PM
wfojon
Cruiser

You have to learn to ride different, you gotta be able to kind of lift yourself off the seat when the bumps are coming. Also let a bunch of air out of the rear tire, once you get the hang of it you'll dig it, but remember don't let the bumps and holes surprise you, use your legs for suspension.
Jon

Old 03-13-2013 | 10:12 PM
Suntower
Road Master

Is the seat sprung or not?

I had one for fun for awhile (not a Harley)... and it wasn't too bad. However... it's that one big bump you don't quite see and hit at high speed that hurts like hell.

Quick Reply: Ride a Hard Tail? Step Inside Please