General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride a Hard Tail? Step Inside Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013 | 07:41 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

My 1942 "45" flat head was a hard tail from the factory. But it had a nice sprung seat and rode pretty nice. Of course, we never thought much about it until the swing arms came along. But those old hard tails were ridden all over the country and on bad roads. Maybe we are just wimps now. LOL

Old 03-14-2013 | 07:55 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

All of my first half dozen or so Harleys were rigids the last a 53 Pan we rode as a bagger at first then a Chopper.Course we were very young and a lot more resilient.Seems like the roads were better then,but sure remember hitting pot holes or wash board dirt roads that I swear we almost blacked out form the spine crushing pain.
Otherwise loved those bikes,Nothing like a bare bones Harley sitting almost on the bare frame.

Old 03-14-2013 | 07:59 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Depends on the geometry and tire ect. Is your back up for it. If only a bar hopper and its not too radical id go for it.

Old 03-14-2013 | 10:11 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

Just sold my wide tire, hardtail chopper this past fall. I was worried when I bought it about the ride but that turned out to be no problem at all. However, I'm in FL where most of the roads are smooth. I've been to Houston many times and the roads are much rougher there.

I had nothing but trouble with it and I'm glad it's gone. Don't overpay for one, they are going cheap. I took a bath on mine.

Old 03-14-2013 | 10:26 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by siclmn
Do you really drink alcohol and then get on your bike?
How much do you drink before you decide enough is enough?
Once I had only 1 beer and then I climbed on and thought I would pass cars on a cloverleaf and get on the freeway. 5 seconds later I saw the speedometer reading 110 and I pulled over and stopped on the shoulder. I sat there for a minute and got my bearings and headed for home.
So I just don't get the "bar hopper" idea on a motorcycle.
What the hell does that have to do with whether or not he should buy a HardTail?

Old 03-14-2013 | 10:33 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"

My bike's a hard tail. With the spring seat it's a good ride.

Old 03-14-2013 | 11:15 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by siclmn
Do you really drink alcohol and then get on your bike?
How much do you drink before you decide enough is enough?
Once I had only 1 beer and then I climbed on and thought I would pass cars on a cloverleaf and get on the freeway. 5 seconds later I saw the speedometer reading 110 and I pulled over and stopped on the shoulder. I sat there for a minute and got my bearings and headed for home.
So I just don't get the "bar hopper" idea on a motorcycle.
Damn,I'd hate to see you try to drink 2 beers(1 beer running 110mph on a cloverleaf passing cars,wow)... WTF does that have to do with him buying a hardtail?

I have never ridden a rigid with a fat rear tire but if set up right a rigid don't ride bad. I have a bad back now days and can't go the distance on one but I have considered getting another one for shorter rides.You also have to get used to some wheel hopping but that might not be as much of an issue with a fat tire,I wouldn't know.

Last edited by popawcritter; 03-14-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2013 | 11:28 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Old 03-14-2013 | 11:31 AM
jsvt184
Tourer

I sold my old hardtail chopped ironhead 3 years ago. I used to keep the rear tire a little underinflated for the ride. Not so much for me but for the bike. My back never hurt and I enjoyed every minute riding it but stuff used to break off the bike. The tail light/license plate bracket, then the coil bracket, etc. Railroad crossings were done at a snail's pace. The rigid frame was much harder on the bike than it was on me.

Old 03-14-2013 | 11:36 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Expect the rigid to feel like you're part of the road and not riding on it.

Yeah, there are potholes and junk like that- but you actually feel like you're riding a motorcycle and not some over cushioned throne. Rigids are raw and primeval and feel good to me. (I have a '53 also)

Riders rode rigid from 1903 to 1958 on worse roads than now and they loved it enough to keep the motor company going all those years..

Expect to ride it more than you think it can-longer trips are not impossible.

Indian Larry used a really cool air suspension seat for his rigids..

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2009/12/25/...e-motorcycles/

http://www.choppersurplus.com/np/sea...rigidaire.html

Quick Reply: Ride a Hard Tail? Step Inside Please