General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I am thinking about a power commander...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:37 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default So I am thinking about a power commander...

IIIr. A friend has one he is not using that will fit my bike. However he doesn't have the instructions, cdrom, or usb cable. I am not concerned about the usb cable, but what about the instructions and the cd rom? If I get it from him (very inexpensively) would someone here actually be able to help me throught the process of getting it set up properly. He is not sure what bike it came off of or what the setup was either. I am not concerned about getting it installed, looks pretty simple, but I would like to know if it will fit under my seat without any modifications. He would be giving it to me for pennies on the dollar. To get one from fuelmoto, I gotta wait another month or two. What are your thoughts on this? This is part number 305-310 that fits 2001-2003 softails, and I have a 2002 fatboy.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So I am thinking about a power commander...

DON'T BUY IT!

I was talking to a tech the other day about this same thing....
Once they are plugged into the bike the unit reads the VIN#. It will stay with that bike forever Just like the SERT. It is more user friendly, you can make more adjustments than the SERT.

I'm planning on upgrading my pipes to 2", doing a little work to the heads, installing the Power Commander and having it dyno tuned.

In order for it to work - you need dyno tuning.

Check into it some more with regards to the VIN.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
mkultra
Tourer

If your bike runs ok now i would wait and get the one specifically for your bike. Why take on un-needed problems. Lots of pros and cons but anything that makes life easier is the way i would go.

mike

Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Anubiss,

I do not believe the power commander reads the VIN number. In the past, I used a power commander on two different bikes and had no problems. It was the older non-usb version, but again no problems. Maybe someone else would have more information on that. Oh, almost forgot, the one I bought was used and it had been used on another bike also. So that's three bikes it was used on. I sold the bike with it on and it's still on that one, a 2003 Heritage.
Take a look at the PowerCommander website. You can download the software there. There are also tutorials that will teach you what you need to know about installation, setup, 0 throttle adjustment, how to get a map, send a map and adjust a map. Also plenty of map available on line to download. Just have to find one that fit's or comes close to how your bike is configured. There are also plenty of people here that can give you help. Does he also have the 9-volt adapter to power up the commander without having the bike running?
I have one on mine and have had no problems at all. Some people have had a problem of the bike turning over two or three times before starting, mine starts immediately, idles great, smooth acceleration, pulls strong and the gas mileage only suffers because of the twist of the throttle.
If it's a good deal then get it.

Sid

Old 02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Speedkingnick

DON'T BUY IT!

I was talking to a tech the other day about this same thing....
Once they are plugged into the bike the unit reads the VIN#. It will stay with that bike forever Just like the SERT. It is more user friendly, you can make more adjustments than the SERT.

I'm planning on upgrading my pipes to 2", doing a little work to the heads, installing the Power Commander and having it dyno tuned.

In order for it to work - you need dyno tuning.

Check into it some more with regards to the VIN.

[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 02-13-2007, 03:46 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 351 Posts

here we go again[&:][&:]get it, dont get it. If you can afford it get it, put it on, if it runs great after a map then great. If not take it back off and no big loss. I dont know enough about it with the VIN thing, but I am sure people know pretty much what they're talking about, then the guy that says he's had one on three different bikes....so confusing. Give it a go I suppose, dont know if ya dont try..

Old 02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

i highly doubt that they 'read and remember' vin numbers.... thats absurd.

get it- and im sure there are plenty of members who will be happy to help you

Old 02-13-2007, 04:02 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the difference between the III and the IIIr?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member

Pennies on the dollar sounds like ya cant go to far wrong.. If it dont work trade it with yur lite bulb to IAMWUTIAMS for his nag...

Old 02-13-2007, 04:05 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

What is the difference between the III and the IIIr?

http://www.powercommander.com/featversions.shtml

Quick Reply: So I am thinking about a power commander...