General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I am thinking about a power commander...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:07 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: So I am thinking about a power commander...

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Zyklon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anubisss I believe that EC145Pilot is correct. I have a friend that has successfully used a PC III from another bike on his machine. The model of the PC III must fit your motorcycle and you will of course need an appropriate map for your configuration. All necessary installation and programming data required is available on the Power Commander web site. If it fits and it is a good deal go for it.

Zyklon

Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

IIIr. A friend has one he is not using that will fit my bike. However he doesn't have the instructions, cdrom, or usb cable. I am not concerned about the usb cable, but what about the instructions and the cd rom? If I get it from him (very inexpensively) would someone here actually be able to help me throught the process of getting it set up properly. He is not sure what bike it came off of or what the setup was either. I am not concerned about getting it installed, looks pretty simple, but I would like to know if it will fit under my seat without any modifications. He would be giving it to me for pennies on the dollar. To get one from fuelmoto, I gotta wait another month or two. What are your thoughts on this? This is part number 305-310 that fits 2001-2003 softails, and I have a 2002 fatboy.
If you can get a good deal on it, buy it.

It does not read the VIN number, and it's not a 1 bike deal at all. They are bought and sold on eBay used all the time, and normally can be had for about $150 used. I've installed a few used ones on other people's bikes, and even the one on my bike was bought used. The one on my '96 Road King was used also.

The software for your computer is downloadable from the Power Commander's website, the USB cable is available at Radio Shack, and the maps you need are right on the Power Commander website. You can even get the installation instructions from Power Commander's website.

Steve

Old 02-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Detro996
Cruiser

I've been using them on sportbikes for years. The power dfference is huge. I've taken them from bike to bike and I've never heard the Vin# thing at all. I also havea spare USB/CD/9 volt adapter. I'd be glad to let you borrow it.

I've orderedone from fuel moto with a custom map. I'll let you you know how it works. I did the stage one on my07 RKC, then talked to Jamieabout how that was just aminor ECMadj, got me curious enough to try one on my Harley.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your bike aint broke!
Don't fix what aint broke!

Power Commander will introduce a whole new level of having to fool with it.

Use the money to buy something shiny!

Yes I'm using a lot of exclamation points.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:22 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,094 Likes on 5,311 Posts

ORIGINAL: Speedkingnick

I was talking to a tech the other day about this same thing....
Once they are plugged into the bike the unit reads the VIN#. It will stay with that bike forever Just like the SERT.
Nonsense. In fact, one of the reasons I chose a PC over the SERT is that I can move it to another bike, should the need arise.

As others have said, all the info is available on the PC Web site, including the downloads. It's pretty much plug-and-go. That said, unless you dyno it, be prepared to kiss as much as 10% of your current gas mileage bye-bye. I took the decreased mileage over paying $250 for a dyno. (Glendale HD is a good choice for dyno with the PC).

Philip

Old 02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Detro996
Cruiser

Did you by chance have the stage one with filter prior to adding it and if so was therenoticable change in power ??

Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

Ok I guess I need to clarify since some are jumping to conclusions because they didn't read my entire post.

Anubiss,

If it is pennies on the dollar - buy it. You don't know if the computer was damaged or not. With electronics like this it is always better to get new. Especially since it is controlling your fuel system! Hence why I stressed: DON'T BUY IT! There are also tons of models - make sure it is the one for your bike.

I was talking to a friend who tunes bikes. He recommends the Power Commander (he's a tech...) but says that in order to get the most out of the unit you will need to have it set with the bike on a dyno. I told him I could get a Power Commander for a few hundred bucks (e-bay) and he warned me that I might not get everything in the package.

Another note: He said we may have to go for emissions testing soon in Indiana. He said in that case unplug the Power Commander, plug in the stock ECM and go for the test. Then after the test, plug the Power Commander back in.

As far as the VIN - I don't know. I went onto the Power Commander site and it looks like you can reset it.

Good Luck.

Nick

Old 02-13-2007, 04:35 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Your bike aint broke!
Don't fix what aint broke!
Power Commander will introduce a whole new level of having to fool with it.
Use the money to buy something shiny!
Yes I'm using a lot of exclamation points.
WHAT HE SAID!

If it's not broken, don't fix it! I've learned that over 30 years with bikes.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:58 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,094 Likes on 5,311 Posts

ORIGINAL: Detro996

Did you by chance have the stage one with filter prior to adding it and if so was there noticable change in power ??
I did have the Stage 1 with download, SE filter and Rush pipes. Yes, the PC made a major difference, according to the ever-reliable butt-dyno, and took care of the residual backfiring as well.

Philip

Quick Reply: So I am thinking about a power commander...