General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Modular helmet question

I have a full face helmet and I find that I cannot wear it because my glasses keep fogging up, a problem I do not have when I wear my goggles and skid-lid. I don't really care for windshields but bugs and pea gravel in the face are a problem down here on the Gulf Coast. I took a big bug in the face the other day that smarted. I am thinking that a modular helmet for road trips might be a better choice for me and was looking at an Outlaw helmet because I do not want to buy another expensive helmet that I cannot use like the full face one. What experience have those of you who wear glasses had with the two-shield modular helmets.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear glasses with my full face... exhale thru your nose and you will have little or no fogging.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:43 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I just picked up the Nolan N43E Trilogy helmet. It's not modular, but it has a removable chin bar and comes with a fog free insert. It has the excellent visibility of a 3/4 helmet. So far I mostly like it.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I've got the Bell Revolver EVO modular w/inner sun visor. I find if I keep the outer shield cracked open, it doesn't fog. Also, if things get foggy, just rip 'er wide open.

Only flaw with this helmet, to date, is the outer shield keeps falling down w/wind gusts & big bumps...ratcheting mechanism seems weak. Otherwise, for the price, it's a great helmet. Picked-up mine on sale (Motorcycle Superstore) w/added discount for $100 & free shipping. Here's the Bell info:

http://www.thebellstore.com/category...volverevo.html

Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

You could just crack your visor open a bit.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:56 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

little tip
use 1 small drop of dish soap on ur glass's and shield rub around with ur fingers,
then rub the dish soap until it is gone with microfiber cloth , it will keep everything from foggin up .. give it a whirl b4 u spend more cash, it has always worked for me

Old 03-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I use the snorkel diver's approach and spit on the inside of the visor and smear it over the lens- no problem.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,073 Likes on 2,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
You could just crack your visor open a bit.
I don't have a FF but a face shield. When it's all the way down in slow traffic, it fogs up. So I push it up one notch and it's fine.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:33 PM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I have not tried this helmet yet but I really like the cool crap it can do and I think it might be my next helmet, wife looked at me funny when I mentioned it (just bought a new helmet last year). It is called the Shark Evoline 3, I saw a video on it on Revzilla.com Use code RAD11 for free shipping too.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I have a Bell Arrow model full face with the clear shield that I just cannot use safely. I do breath through my nose but it isn't the helmet shield that fogs up, Rain-X takes care of that, it's my glasses. When they fog up, it takes up to a minute or so for them to clear up. Contact lenses don't work for me. Cracking the shield does clear them but then what's the point of having a shield if I constantly have to open it to clear my glasses? I was thinking that putting up the chin part of the modular and using the inner shield on heavy humid days would work. However, if a modular is not going to work any better than the full face then I really don't see the point of getting one. I will have to stick with my skid-lid and put the windshield back on.

Quick Reply: Modular helmet question