General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Thanks for all the replies. I have a Bell Arrow model full face with the clear shield that I just cannot use safely. I do breath through my nose but it isn't the helmet shield that fogs up, Rain-X takes care of that, it's my glasses. When they fog up, it takes up to a minute or so for them to clear up. Contact lenses don't work for me. Cracking the shield does clear them but then what's the point of having a shield if I constantly have to open it to clear my glasses? I was thinking that putting up the chin part of the modular and using the inner shield on heavy humid days would work. However, if a modular is not going to work any better than the full face then I really don't see the point of getting one. I will have to stick with my skid-lid and put the windshield back on.
What was said about the face shields apply to glasses- I wear contacts mostly but sometimes wear glasses to give the eyes a break.

Here's a great link for a solution and how to make your own anti-fog cleaner..
http://www.ehow.com/how_7628216_keep...s-fogfree.html

i didn't know this one-
If you don't want to use soap on your eyeglasses, use toothpaste instead. Place a dab of toothpaste on a dry rag and rub it onto the eyeglass lens. Allow the toothpaste to rest on the lenses for a few minutes. Wipe the eyeglasses clean with a separate dry rag.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Tried the vinegar/water solution on my glasses from Sling Blade's link and that seems to have done the trick! Went riding yesterday and again today wearing the full face with no problems. My sinuses started getting messed up because it is time for my annual pine tree pollen allergy and I was breathing via my mouth and still no problems. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM
baimo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet, It has kept me riding during the winter and is absolutely fog-free. It is expensive but after using it a couple times you begin to understand why.
During the warm months I wear novety helmets as the heat gets to me but I just might try this out one summer day. With all the venting options and well designed interior material it just might keep me cool. I doubt it, but I will give it a try. I have learned enough that the full face/modulars are really better for protection. But they take away some of the open free feeling you get use a 1/2 helmet. And that is a lot of reason why I ride. I feel that way when taking short rides around time. I leave the jacket at home and wear a t-shirt. Not smart but comfortable.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried the Bell Revolver EVO modular w/inner sun visor. Dont fit my head so good. Couldn't find a schubert to try out. Ended up with the shoei neotec and loved the fit/finish and looks. Not cheap, but my head is worth it.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:35 PM
DPelletier
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the shield cracked (still provides protection from wind and bugs) and put no-fog on your glasses. works for me.

Dave