General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting my new ultra

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013 | 10:51 AM
hoofnhog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TheGeek
I don't think an aftermarket paint job is as good as factory paint. I don't care what they say, it seems that aftermarket paint jobs are soft and scratch and ding too easily. I would leave it stock, it will grow on you. FYI, I just bought a vivid black ultra and to be honest, it is just WAY too much black.
That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.... The HD factory paint is acceptable at best.... Hell the tins that came on my two tone candy rootbeer '09 Roadking had a repainted tank on it that was purple before.... all of their paint is orangepeeled..you can't find one on the showroom that's not...even the CVO bikes....

A quality custom job is light years ahead of the factory paint... Just find a good shop to do it... living with a color you don't like is just stupid.... I have repainted all of my bikes except my Norton, which still has the paint that came on her when I bought her in '73...

Old 03-09-2013 | 03:44 PM
arjr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rockn
Hi, I just purchased a 2009 ultra glide. It has tons of extras I was looking for, but the paint is factory purple and silver. I want to paint the bike vivid black. I'm worried it is to much work to strip the bike (the hinges are all pop riveted) etc. has anyone done this? Am I over my head? Thanks for your input.
I also bought a used Purple & Grey Softail Heritage...and the purple did NOT grow on me...see my profile for pics before and after.

Obviously, not quite as much removal...but the removal was not really that difficult if you are at all handy. Just make sure you get all the gas out of the tanks before removing the crossover hose, or you'll have quite a mess.

Had a local shop paint it a flattened brown. They did both fenders, tank, and an aftermarket fairing for $650.

The paint is about 7 months old and has held up nicely.

Old 03-09-2013 | 04:42 PM
Rider Steve
Cruiser

If you touch that Ultra with a can of spray paint I will hunt you down.