General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C'mon people... your bike is nice, but think before you price.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 06:58 PM
Suntower
|
Road Master
Default C'mon people... your bike is nice, but think before you price.

I'm shopping for an early 2000's Road King for a new project (and I just want a bagger) and the price 90% of the people are asking is INSANE.

I've seen people list KBB and Nada values in the mid to high teens... WTF? Do you keep a Blue Book in your ***? Çause that's where that number came from.

Of course... there's the classic one where they list the retail price of every chrome doo-dad they ever bought and add it to the high retail value. OR throw in a helmet and leathers I would never wear but still be expected to pay for.

Pull your heads out of your asses people... your Harley is not an investment. If you don't want to throw away money on upgrades and accessories... don't buy them... and most obviously... I don't care about your $4000 custom paint job if I think it's UGLY! (just like many think my softail is ugly)

Just had to vent... back to cycletrader!

Old 03-08-2013 | 07:03 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

All righty then...where would you price your custom ride...?? Yes, some rider/owners want top dollar for their scoots, but that's their choice. It's part of "pride in ownership" and with riding season getting closer for us "cold-weather" residents - good chance a fish will bite their shiny price inflated bike.

Old 03-08-2013 | 07:04 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

It's a free market. If they want or need to sell and nobody makes an offer the price will come down. Be patient, know the market and be prepared to pounce when you find the right deal. There are plenty of bikes out there and it's still a buyers market.

Old 03-08-2013 | 07:08 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain

When I bought my SuperGlide, the dealer had several 2007 to 2010 Dyna's. They were all priced higher than brand new, and the least amount of mileage was 6000.

Old 03-08-2013 | 07:10 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

Sounds like you want a beater for a project. What have you been looking at?

Old 03-08-2013 | 07:12 PM
Rick1981
Advanced

I went through the same thing last year when I bought my Electra Glide. Good luck took me about six weeks of looking every chance I got.

Old 03-08-2013 | 07:18 PM
rbferg
Road Master

A bike's always worth what someone's willing to pay. By the way, that's a damn nice Fatboy Deluxe! How much you want for it?

Old 03-08-2013 | 07:19 PM
Suntower
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Iceman24
All righty then...where would you price your custom ride...?? Yes, some rider/owners want top dollar for their scoots, but that's their choice. It's part of "pride in ownership" and with riding season getting closer for us "cold-weather" residents - good chance a fish will bite their shiny price inflated bike.
Yeah... I released a lot of pent up frustration of guys telling me I'm low-balling them because I won't pay list price from 2005.

My bike is a good example... if I "wanted"" to sell it, I'd list it for mid book (about $10k I think) plus the $4-5k I have in the motor and trans. See if I can get a buyer...

If I "needed" to sell it... list it at $11k and take $10k.

And I agree with you... if you can ask an insane price and get it from an insane buyer... more power to you. But I'm seeing bikes that have been listed for many months at 20% over market rate that guys are not reducing.

Old 03-08-2013 | 07:29 PM
Suntower
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by dansax
Sounds like you want a beater for a project. What have you been looking at?
I've ball-parked a budget of $20k (over a couple years) total to do what I want. I'm looking at 88 twinkies because I will rebuild whatever I buy and can just do the 96" upgrade at the same time (meaning, pay someone else to rebuild). I figure a purchase range of $7-9k will get me started. If I can find a bike that's already on the way to what I want... I'd gladly pay more for it.

I realize that's a somewhat low starting point... but I don't think $9k for a 10ish year old Road King means I'm out to screw anybody.

I'm seeing beat up crap, salvage titles and sketchy SPCNs listed for over $10k... c'mon man.

Old 03-08-2013 | 07:39 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's what I love: "only asking my payoff amount" when the bike is about a year old with 1200 miles on it.

Guess what genius, your payoff amount has exactly zero connection to the market value of the bike.

Quick Reply: C'mon people... your bike is nice, but think before you price.