General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C'mon people... your bike is nice, but think before you price.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013 | 02:55 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Gotta take your time, those that get in a hurry pay a premium.

Not sure I would do anything to it, so maybe not a good one to customize.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...item3f225d6f53

Old 03-12-2013 | 08:04 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

Shopping around always pays off when looking for bikes, new or used.

A person may well be asking as much or more than the bike listed for when new. Most Harleys have gone way up in price, and they are pricing their used bike against the current new bike prices. Believe this is fair and reasonable.

Inflation has happened over the years and they are getting smaller dollars than they might have spent years ago.

Since Harleys evolve slowly over the years, many times a used Harley gives the same riding (some times better) experience as a brand new one, but at a slightly lower price.

On the other hand, the majority of Asian bikes drop in price like a rock, once a slightly faster one hits the marketplace.

Old 03-13-2013 | 03:01 AM
medeng8
Advanced

Originally Posted by Suntower
I agree with you... really I do.

Thing is... these bikes aren't selling for the most part. I've been looking for a while and I see the same bikes listed over and over again... usually with some smart-*** comments like "no low ballers, tire kickers, time wasters, etc"... or say things like, "I have over $30k invested in this bike!" Dude... it's not an investment. And if it was... you really need to talk to a financial planner.

The problem (as I see it) is that lots of guys still think it's 2005... back when everybody had money, choppers and motorcycle shows were on TV 24 hours a day... and if you just put an ad up that said, "Harley for sale. $15,000"... there would be 5 guys at your door waving cash in your face within an hour.
Exactly what I was thinking. I have been looking around for the same type of bike. I had a 2006 Road King Custom that I bought new in 2005 and sold it in 2008. I am now looking again and I can’t believe some of the prices I have seen. But like everyone said, its a free market. But there is a reason they are selling it, so you would think they would be negotiable on the price.

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:07 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Eventually all the used cycles will be priced insanely high, so it'll be cheaper to buy new.

People still think they're on the HD bubble, but you don't have to wait in like at a dealer to get a new bike anymore and the values have gone down.

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:33 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master

It's a self-correcting problem. Don't worry about it.

If a guy really wants (or needs) to sell, he's eventually has to get realistic. If a bike is overpriced, it's not going to sell.

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:41 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

I think I'm going to list mine on Craigslist for about $16k. It's unique as it's the only 2006 Deuce with a 2007 Softail Custom wheel that's been powder coated. I don't expect to sell it, but there's a sucker born every minute so I may get lucky and end up with another Deuce.

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:54 AM
Louderisbetter
Tourer

Don't know if you've found one yet but there is a 2000 RK in the Kansas City Craigslist a couple days ago for $8500. I can't cut and paste from this iPad or I'd post the link, but search road king and its on march 11 page

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:58 AM
HarleyGTP
Road Master

My bike is a good example... if I "wanted"" to sell it, I'd list it for mid book (about $10k I think) plus the $4-5k I have in the motor and trans. See if I can get a buyer...

If I "needed" to sell it... list it at $11k and take $10k.
Eeek, do yourself a favor and don't list that bike for sale anytime soon....or you sir, will become a hypocrite.

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:59 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm shopping for an early 2000's Road King for a new project (and I just want a bagger) and the price 90% of the people are asking is INSANE.
Best thing about our free market is if you don't like one price, you can move to another seller. No need to vent.

Old 03-13-2013 | 10:22 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

dont worry oboma gonna fix everything.

Quick Reply: C'mon people... your bike is nice, but think before you price.