General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Harley feeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 11:18 AM
shegoes
|
6th Gear
Default That Harley feeling

My local HOG chapter has over 600 members and most allof them are always bragging about that "happy Harley feeling" and how they believe all the other members are like Family- all warm and fuzzy like. I have owned an HD since 2000 and been a member with varying degrees of group participation. Seems like it is always the same group of about 50 folks that do everything- go on allthe long distance rides, volunteer etc. If you are working, not in a great financial stage of your life and just cant be as active as some they make you feel like a social outcast. I also got really tired of being asked when I was going to get rid of my sporty and buy a big girls bike. I am barely 5 ft tall so the 1200 is a great bike for me!I have now dropped my membership and will ride solo or with a few close real friends. I never did find that big happy Harley feeling and personally feel like my chapter members are bunch of snotty,artifical folks who want to show off their wallets. They keep asking why they have so many members and not so many participants- I suggest try being sincerely friendly to everyone- in todays world folks have personal reasons why they can't afford to do everything and go everywhere or buy a new bike every other year. The group talks safety but also lane splits, wears improper gear , speeds on the freeways and offers no suggestions of rider improvement to ladies who have nicknames like Tipsy because they drop their bike on almost every group ride. I have been a rider since 1970 and was truly hoping that HD would work for me but am happy to go back to being a lone wolf rider. Anyone else prefer to ride by themselves rather than do chapter rides?

Old 03-08-2013 | 11:33 AM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by shegoes
My local HOG chapter has over 600 members and most allof them are always bragging about that "happy Harley feeling" and how they believe all the other members are like Family- all warm and fuzzy like. I have owned an HD since 2000 and been a member with varying degrees of group participation. Seems like it is always the same group of about 50 folks that do everything- go on allthe long distance rides, volunteer etc. If you are working, not in a great financial stage of your life and just cant be as active as some they make you feel like a social outcast. I also got really tired of being asked when I was going to get rid of my sporty and buy a big girls bike. I am barely 5 ft tall so the 1200 is a great bike for me!I have now dropped my membership and will ride solo or with a few close real friends. I never did find that big happy Harley feeling and personally feel like my chapter members are bunch of snotty,artifical folks who want to show off their wallets. They keep asking why they have so many members and not so many participants- I suggest try being sincerely friendly to everyone- in todays world folks have personal reasons why they can't afford to do everything and go everywhere or buy a new bike every other year. The group talks safety but also lane splits, wears improper gear , speeds on the freeways and offers no suggestions of rider improvement to ladies who have nicknames like Tipsy because they drop their bike on almost every group ride. I have been a rider since 1970 and was truly hoping that HD would work for me but am happy to go back to being a lone wolf rider. Anyone else prefer to ride by themselves rather than do chapter rides?
I only went to one meeting when I got my free membership for buying the bike. The people seemed nice but a bit cliquish. They also looked the same like they came from a cookie cutter mold--black Electra Glide or Street Glides lined up in a row outside the meeting hall, members all had leather vest with HOG patch, beer belly, etc...it all struck me as group think and herd-ism, rather than the individuality and stuff you often hear associated with riders. not that there is anything wrong with that. To each their own. It just is not anything I am interested in.

But I agree they tend to give you the stink eye look if you say you are not interested in coming back to another meeting.

Old 03-08-2013 | 11:35 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

I hate to ride with groups. Even the occasional poker run is just a PITA as far as I'm concerned.
There's often times a yahoo or two cutting in and out of line or just people who don't know how to ride in a group.
95% of my riding is 2up with my wife.
We both love to ride and quite often take off for 5-6 day trips on the bike.
Also take day trips to some interesting destinations or take a long ride for lunch.
We do 300-400 miles on a Sunday quite often.

We have a few friends who have bikes and will go on rides with them, but still prefer to just ride alone at our own pace.

I've been riding for over 45 years and just don't need or care to belong or ride in groups. To each his own, it works for some people, but not for us.

Old 03-08-2013 | 11:52 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I was in a "biker" club years ago and while it was fun, it was like another job.

I had thought I'd renew my free membership with HOG but the more I think about it, I doubt that I will. I like riding with my wife and not have to worry about who's beside or behind me.

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:15 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

will ride with my friends
will ride with my wife and kids ( take them for a ride)
will ride alone.

Hog chapters, any kind of motorcyle Club, any organized rides for any reason - nope, never have felt the need or want to ride with them.

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:29 PM
JohnT
Road Master

The OP has it about right. Many HOG chapters, and other motorcycle clubs, exhibit the same behaviors. My local HOG chapter has about 200 members, but real participation is limited to about 12-15 usual suspects, all dressed up in Harley gear. It's a very tight clique and and not very welcoming to outsiders, and been that way for about the last 8 years. Better to ride with friends or solo.

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:32 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, since you're a chick I won't post what I REALLY feel about HOG because the language would be too harsh, but...You did the right thing. I find them to be a little on the silly side. Old bags & geezers dressing like 70's teenage bikers. I laugh at them when I see them. I prefer to ride by myself. Have 2 friends that just got HDs, husband & wife, and they go on all the runs & crap & they're always trying to get me to go with them to "live the lifestyle". I tell 'em I don't do "runs" poker,toy,charity...ain't interested in any of it. I ride to the beat of my own drummer.

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:37 PM
subguy
Road Master

Being in HOG is like being in High School...only everyone has bikes this time...

Also riding since 1970 (never quit riding). Solo or with friends. Hate riding in a group as it is dangerous enough out there and don't need to also have worry about other riders and various levels of skills..

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:38 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by shegoes
I am so glad you posted this!

I joined (and about 2 months later dropped out of) a HOG chapter that had a Ladies of Harley group. Which was what a attracted me to the group in the first place. They advertised at the local dealership that the LOH are very active in their chapter. I'm thinking woot woot, some women to ride with. Well, they were really active alright! Serving coffee and cake, organizing the runs and events at the dealership, cleaning up after events. Not only were they click-ish, attitudinal and ignored me most of the time since I wouldn't volunteer to help, but not one of the 11 women rode. NOT ONE! I was so disgusted with the whole thing that I dropped out. Ugh...

I feel your pain Shegoes, I feel your pain...

Old 03-08-2013 | 01:03 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

98% of the time it's just me and my wife. She rides her own FLHTI 99% of the time, only rarely rides with me on my bike. We have a few friends we ride with occasionally, and we do a couple charity runs a year.

As others have said, there's always seems to be an idiot or two on group rides that either don't know how to ride safely in a group or feel the need to show off.

One of the issues we have with group rides, is that some people like to ride 20 minutes then spend a couple hours in a bar, then ride another 20 min to the next bar. Seen too many drunks do too many stupid things to want to ride anywhere near them. The wife and I do the opposite - ride for a couple hours, make a quick stop for food or a pit stop, then ride another couple hours, etc. Been on one HOG ride, when I got the membership with a new bike, didn't like it.

Always seemed to me that HOG is for those who want to pretend they are in a biker "gang", and that buying a membership in HOG and wearing a HOG patch on their vest makes them some kind of badass.
There are exceptions of course, I do know some long time riders, good people, who are HOG members that love to ride.

Quick Reply: That Harley feeling