General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Harley feeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013 | 02:13 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

The only person I'd ride with moved to southern Virginia 8 years ago. When I'm not down visiting and riding with him, I ride solo. Go where I want, when I want. The wife isn't a big fan of riding, so it's just me and my thoughts on the open road.

Old 03-10-2013 | 03:32 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior

I joined a couple a months ago! Been on one Sunday ride it was ok. Going on a weekend ride next month , we will see how it goes ? Not sure if its for me? The group riding is somewhat stressful for many reasons. But it doesn't cost much to join so its not a big deal.

Old 03-10-2013 | 04:08 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

I joined the HOG chapter where I bought my Deuce. The first meeting was organized so that a couple of us newbies would meet at the dealership, then follow the chapter safety officer over to the VFW meeting hall. It was about a 2 mile run. The newbies were introduced to the chapter, had our pictures taken, and given our options as to what membership packages we could buy.

By the end of 2 months I was the only one of that newbie group still there. Not once in that time did I have any of the members come up to me to talk. If I tried to join in with a group discussion, I was tolerated but never really included in the conversation. I kept trying to me the good new member and introducing myself to everyone. Most of the time I'd get something like: "Hey, how ya doin'?" Sometimes one or two would ask me what I rode, where I lived, etc. but that was usually the extent of it. I even had groups move away when I'd try to be sociable.
I volunteered to help at a BBQ the dealership was having one Sunday. The Road Captain told me to meet him at the hall so I could help transport some stuff to the BBQ. I got there ahead of time, waited an hour, and finally went to the dealer. There he was. I asked why he didn't show up and he said that he decided that the stuff really wasn't needed so he rode direct to the dealer. Really??

Another time I was at the dealer and the membership guy walks into the parts department. He joins in the conversation that I was having with the parts guy and then asks me if I ever thought about joining HOG. What? I just looked at him and said "I've been a member of your chapter for a couple of months now."

They also liked to do the breakfast rides to someplace 20 miles away, and call it a day. I will say that one of the things they do is an annual Veterans Appreciation day at the area VA Hospital/Home. They go up and bring stuff for the day rooms. Some of the guys actually take a veteran with them and go on a short ride. That part is pretty cool of them.

But, I never finished the first year: just dropped out. Too many rules, cliques, bad *** wanna-be's for me.

I pretty much just ride with the same 3 guys all the time. We've been riding so long together that there's no guess work involved. We all know how the others ride and react.

Last edited by Deucedog; 03-10-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2013 | 04:56 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

A friend of mine bought a new bike and called the Director? of the Elk Grove CA HOG group (The Thundering Herd as they liked to call themselves ). The Director gave him the pitch about joining and a couple of minutes into the conversation asked what bike he had. My friend told him it was a 1200 Sportster. The guy paused and then said "oh well we'll stop for gas with you". What a douche.

Old 03-10-2013 | 05:38 PM
Aargow
Advanced

Sounds like most of you have really crappy HOG chapters where you live. Mine is okay. There are plenty of established friendships, overweight riders, and folks who are a little too attached to their patches and pins. None of that really has any affect on me. I ride mostly on my own but every now and then enjoy riding with a group. Since I don't know many others who ride in my area HOG provides that for me. I certainly would not have continued my membership if I had experienced what many of you have.

Old 03-10-2013 | 11:34 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

I made my Husband go with me to a HOG meeting once, just to meet them. I ended up joining because I felt obligated, but he wouldn't. I even went on a short ride with them (alone), and they were nice enough.

For us, we have ridden alone for so long now (over a decade); it's difficult to follow others' idea of where/when to go somewhere (and what to do when we get there). That's why the only rides/runs we go on we meet up at the end; donate to the cause (or whatever), stay awhile, shoot the ****, then go our own way. We don't go on rides with specific rules, times to leave, follow the leader, etc... kind of takes the fun out of it. Probably why HOG is not for us.

Old 03-11-2013 | 07:47 AM
HDJaco
Road Captain

I was invited to go for a ride with a friends dad and a few of his friends a couple of months ago, not knowing it was a HOG ride. I ask my friend if I can bring along another friend, his reply "no problem". So my friend and I show up me on my Road Glide and my friend on his Honda Rune and they tell us we are not welcome to ride with them. So my friend pulls out his HOG membership card, which he has been a member for twenty + years, and nicely says sorry I did not know it was a HOG ride or I would have brought one of my Harleys. I'm thinking at this point they are going to say okay perhaps just ride in the back of the pack. Instead the guy reiterates that Hondas are not welcome and you will have to leave. F%@# the HOG group of Fort Lauderdale. OP after my experience with HOG nothing surprises me...

Old 03-11-2013 | 11:21 AM
Here4theLaffs
6th Gear

Originally Posted by voudoujoe
I went to the HoCo Swap Meet and the Timonium Bike Show last month ... riders of all shapes and sizes, RCs, MCs and 1%ers. There were probably 100 cars for every bike.
Yet 99% of the people there were dressed like they just came off the road.

Old 03-11-2013 | 11:34 AM
gwozhog
Advanced

Group riding is just too damn dangerous. My last group ride ended with me on lifeflight. Half the people on the ride had either minimum insurance or no insurance at all. My advice is if your going to group ride make sure you max out your underinsured/noinsured policy to 500k. You may also want to do quick inspection of the bikes you are riding with. Checking tire tread conditions and front brake pad thickness of the bikes you are riding with. You would be surprised how ****ing cheap some motorcycle owners are. I hope all of you have a safe summer. Gwozhog

Old 03-11-2013 | 11:51 AM
DMas
Road Master

I can echo what most are saying here. Never really wanted to join after observing HOG at the local dealership. Add to that the local HOG here seems to be very fond of parking rather than riding.

Quick Reply: That Harley feeling