General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Harley feeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013 | 02:52 AM
Theatan
Tourer

I've experienced what the OP was writting of. Yet that wasn't what put me off HOG Group Rides. It was more being able to see a crash in the group on my 2nd group ride, from the 3rd bike back from the crash. Granted it was merely a front tire hitting a back tire at a red lite. But with anywhere from 20 to 50 bikes supposedly riding in formation. While actually jockeying for riding position, I figured how long before the enevitable happens? Since then, While I like the HOG Club at the Deralership, as an interesting and comical diversion while I'm at the dealership making a purchase or having work done, But as for me to ride with a group that large? Sorry I value my bike and body way too much.
Don't be to hard on the HOG it's simply doing what HOG does and most likely doesn't even know it's doing it.

Old 03-09-2013 | 06:23 AM
zeman1
Advanced

After reading these posts, the HOG chapter that I belong to must be the exception to the rule. Good people that love to ride. No drinking allowed if you want to ride with them. Chapter even has group riding classes to explain the etiquette of group riding and then takes people out on a 50 mile or so ride (with road captains and other members) to practice what they learned in classroom. Chapter has several rides of varying lengths schedueled every month. Members also have longer rides (3 to 10 days) that are non-chapter and open to everyone. Feel fortunate to have a great group of men and women to ride with that I feel safe with.

Old 03-09-2013 | 06:37 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

...and this little piggy went "Wee-Wee-Wee" all the way home.

Old 03-09-2013 | 07:03 AM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by acman308
Well if you ever make it to Texas you can ride with me.
I've gotta hit a job this am.... but i'll be leaving and sleeping in a roadside rest area tonight.

I hear what your saying though.
My two best friends are the only ones that really likes to do that.

Funny it does seem more women are up for living off the bike than men.
I can't say it's a male or female thing though.

Originally Posted by voudoujoe
If you are just looking for people to ride with once in a while, I suggest y'all check out meetup.com. Just search for "motorcycle" meetup groups in your area.

I can only speak to a few groups in Maryland, but The Central Maryland Motorcycle Riders and The Columbia Motorcycle Riders groups are both pretty active. Last summer there were 2-3 rides every week, regular rides through November and even a few in Dec/Jan.

I put about 10k recreational miles on last season, most of them with these groups. Rides are usually 150-250 miles on a weekend day. I went on rides as short as 100 miles and as long as 750 miles over 3 days. Some went to Niagara Falls and Sturgis. There are some newbie rides and many better suited for experienced riders due to pace and road selection. I've seen some pretty awesome roads that I never knew were around here.

If you aren't familiar with it - you "join" the group and get email notices when someone posts a ride. Go to the site, check out the ride description and RSVP is you want to go. Show up at the appointed place and time. No commitments, no dues, no drama. There are a handful of people that lead most of the rides and a bunch of "regulars", so you get a sense of what to expect pretty quickly. There can be anywhere from 5 to 20 bikes on a ride.

Generally good people and all bikes are welcome. I haven't seen a scooter or a Cam Am yet, but there is the occasional Honda Rebel on the newbie rides

Oddly, the MID-ATLANTIC Harley Davidson Motorcycle Riders Group that looks for "Harley Real Riders versus Posers" had very few rides last year.
See this post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-g...erd-thing.html

While I think Meetup is a great site and I still have an account with them, I no longer belong to any MC groups there.

Old 03-09-2013 | 07:09 AM
passae
Tourer

No club here....did one ride with HOG club...cheesy and too many stops. When I ride, I ROLL! Mostly alone, and sometimes with a one other. Plus, too many people don't know how to ride and I am not comfortable with people who don't even know how to park a bike correctly or ride with a group!

Old 03-09-2013 | 11:43 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

I hate riding in cluster fu@k$ I mean groups. To many stops and people always pissin and moaning about something. Really ruins the day and a ride. It's just the wife and I or a few close friends any more. We do meet some decent folk along the way that enjoy the same.

Old 03-09-2013 | 12:32 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by EveHD
See this post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-g...erd-thing.html

While I think Meetup is a great site and I still have an account with them, I no longer belong to any MC groups there.
Saw that and another thread after I posted. It's a potluck of people, that's for certain. I've had a pretty good experience there and with the groups on this area. I am sure others haven't had such a great experience.

As far as the other post, it doesn't surprise me that those people didn't ride to a bar, at night, in 30* weather, in February (when nobody is even expecting a bike to be on the road). Lots of people around here don't ride at that temp and many just store their bikes for winter. I went to the HoCo Swap Meet and the Timonium Bike Show last month ... riders of all shapes and sizes, RCs, MCs and 1%ers. There were probably 100 cars for every bike.

Old 03-09-2013 | 12:34 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

I rode with a local HOG Chapter for about 7 years. Met a lot of good people, some of whom developed into real friendships. Like any organization, things change and I stopped going. I'm with the rest of you regarding groups rides........don't like them much anymore. But, I'm not going to bash the HOG group that I was a member of.

Old 03-09-2013 | 01:11 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by voudoujoe
Saw that and another thread after I posted. It's a potluck of people, that's for certain. I've had a pretty good experience there and with the groups on this area. I am sure others haven't had such a great experience.

As far as the other post, it doesn't surprise me that those people didn't ride to a bar, at night, in 30* weather, in February (when nobody is even expecting a bike to be on the road). Lots of people around here don't ride at that temp and many just store their bikes for winter. I went to the HoCo Swap Meet and the Timonium Bike Show last month ... riders of all shapes and sizes, RCs, MCs and 1%ers. There were probably 100 cars for every bike.
I agree. Also, I don't judge people for what or how much they ride. I ride all year round but that's my preference, to each their own...

Old 03-09-2013 | 01:27 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by EveHD
I agree. Also, I don't judge people for what or how much they ride. I ride all year round but that's my preference, to each their own...
we rode with the Charlotte group for awhile. Great folks who get out and ride. No drinking until the ride is done for the day. Lots of varied rides, dinner ride every week, day ride on the weekend and most weeks an overnighter. Some folks who tended to hang together but welcomed new folks in. About 400 members if i remember. It was 60 miles from my house and we got tired of racing up to makethe Friday night meetings. Plus we gravitated to 5 other local couples we socialize alot with. I cant really say anything bad about my hog membership and the Charlotte chapter. Just went another way.

Quick Reply: That Harley feeling