General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Harley feeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 08:16 PM
MDSuperGlide
Advanced

Originally Posted by JackD
OK! First ....EVE is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!! Next, I ride when I can!! Thee End!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, stop beating around the bush and tell Eve how you feel.

Old 03-08-2013 | 08:24 PM
Trusten
Tourer

Interesting to see so many people saying the same things I was thinking.
I got a year's membership to a HOG chapter when I bought my ride. But, I never attended a meeting or got into it. That membership long since lapsed!
I saw the guys there at the dealership, mostly on Saturdays when I was picking up something or just browsing at the swap meets. They seemed rather "click-ish" to me as well.
I just didn't get a good vibe off them. I ride with my wife and buddies from time to time. But, honestly, I did not start riding to "belong" to a group. I did not do it to seek some kind of membership. I do it because I love the ride.
No skin off anyone's nose that enjoys their HOG chapter. Good for you, maybe yours is a cool group of riders I'd enjoy riding with. But the one local here, just not for me.

Old 03-08-2013 | 08:28 PM
acman308
Road Master

Do your own thing you will have a lot more fun........ I said forget work today did a leisurely 350 miles and had a blast.

I did 20k miles last year (work really held me back) zero miles of that was "organized"

I either ride alone with real friends or some cool woman (surely it can't be hard for you ladies to find someone cool to ride with) .....

Old 03-08-2013 | 08:46 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by MDSuperGlide
lol, stop beating around the bush and tell Eve how you feel.
LOL

Originally Posted by Trusten
Interesting to see so many people saying the same things I was thinking.
I got a year's membership to a HOG chapter when I bought my ride. But, I never attended a meeting or got into it. That membership long since lapsed!
I saw the guys there at the dealership, mostly on Saturdays when I was picking up something or just browsing at the swap meets. They seemed rather "click-ish" to me as well.
I just didn't get a good vibe off them. I ride with my wife and buddies from time to time. But, honestly, I did not start riding to "belong" to a group. I did not do it to seek some kind of membership. I do it because I love the ride.
No skin off anyone's nose that enjoys their HOG chapter. Good for you, maybe yours is a cool group of riders I'd enjoy riding with. But the one local here, just not for me.
Usually the local HOG chapters are just that, Local.

Originally Posted by acman308
Do your own thing you will have a lot more fun........ I said forget work today did a leisurely 350 miles and had a blast.

I did 20k miles last year (work really held me back) zero miles of that was "organized"

I either ride alone with real friends or some cool woman (surely it can't be hard for you ladies to find someone cool to ride with) .....
No it's not really hard to find cool people to ride with, but it is hard to find people who really ride. I'm not a bar hopper nor a dealership hopper nor a bike rally regular. As far as rallies are concerned, once and done in my book. I like riding for scenery, touring and camping with my bike. I'm hard pressed to find riding buddies that foot that bill.

Old 03-08-2013 | 10:51 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

aww Eve, come on down to S Fl I'd love to ride with you.

I'm a member of 2 local HOGs but only for the discount at the dealerships. I don't mind riding with groups, we have a hell of a great bunch of guys in the Florida Crew on these forums but like them, and the others I ride with, nothing is organized. A ride is decided and off we go. No rules just ride. I can't be bothered with meetings. But I understand if some like their HOG chapters and that's cool.

Old 03-08-2013 | 10:56 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by uklauren
aww Eve, come on down to S Fl I'd love to ride with you.

I'm a member of 2 local HOGs but only for the discount at the dealerships. I don't mind riding with groups, we have a hell of a great bunch of guys in the Florida Crew on these forums but like them, and the others I ride with, nothing is organized. A ride is decided and off we go. No rules just ride. I can't be bothered with meetings. But I understand if some like their HOG chapters and that's cool.
I'll be seeing you and Dee in GA Chicky! It's going to be a blast this year

Old 03-09-2013 | 01:19 AM
acman308
Road Master

Originally Posted by EveHD

No it's not really hard to find cool people to ride with, but it is hard to find people who really ride. I'm not a bar hopper nor a dealership hopper nor a bike rally regular. As far as rallies are concerned, once and done in my book. I like riding for scenery, touring and camping with my bike. I'm hard pressed to find riding buddies that foot that bill.
Well if you ever make it to Texas you can ride with me.
I've gotta hit a job this am.... but i'll be leaving and sleeping in a roadside rest area tonight.

I hear what your saying though.
My two best friends are the only ones that really likes to do that.

Funny it does seem more women are up for living off the bike than men.

Old 03-09-2013 | 02:12 AM
voudoujoe
Road Captain

If you are just looking for people to ride with once in a while, I suggest y'all check out meetup.com. Just search for "motorcycle" meetup groups in your area.

I can only speak to a few groups in Maryland, but The Central Maryland Motorcycle Riders and The Columbia Motorcycle Riders groups are both pretty active. Last summer there were 2-3 rides every week, regular rides through November and even a few in Dec/Jan.

I put about 10k recreational miles on last season, most of them with these groups. Rides are usually 150-250 miles on a weekend day. I went on rides as short as 100 miles and as long as 750 miles over 3 days. Some went to Niagara Falls and Sturgis. There are some newbie rides and many better suited for experienced riders due to pace and road selection. I've seen some pretty awesome roads that I never knew were around here.

If you aren't familiar with it - you "join" the group and get email notices when someone posts a ride. Go to the site, check out the ride description and RSVP is you want to go. Show up at the appointed place and time. No commitments, no dues, no drama. There are a handful of people that lead most of the rides and a bunch of "regulars", so you get a sense of what to expect pretty quickly. There can be anywhere from 5 to 20 bikes on a ride.

Generally good people and all bikes are welcome. I haven't seen a scooter or a Cam Am yet, but there is the occasional Honda Rebel on the newbie rides

Oddly, the MID-ATLANTIC Harley Davidson Motorcycle Riders Group that looks for "Harley Real Riders versus Posers" had very few rides last year.

Last edited by voudoujoe; 03-09-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2013 | 02:34 AM
EZSkankin29
Road Captain

I'm not a fan of big organized rides. Rather ride with a few friends.

Old 03-09-2013 | 02:43 AM
rpking
Road Captain

I ride with 2 buddies, they try to ride every weekend. We usually ride 200-300 miles, fun times.
I went on a ride by myself on Thanksgiving, didn't go far, about 80 miles but I had lots of fun.
I'm looking forward to this summer!!!!
I have found that most clubs....riding clubs, gun clubs, model train clubs, whatever the club is.... they are all a PITA

Quick Reply: That Harley feeling