General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Harley feeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 01:04 PM
MDSuperGlide
Advanced

I'd go to any HOG event if Eve was there. Haha just saying

Old 03-08-2013 | 01:43 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member

I found pretty much the same thing. As a re-newe rider I was excited to find a group to maybe learn from and ride with. It didn't take but 2 meetings to realize all they wanted to do was charity runs...and those very short in mileage. They considered 100 mile ride an all day affair! I had no interest in riding from bar to bar, I want to RIDE! And there's also that snotty 7th grade attitude of my bike is bigger/better than yours. There were a few nice friendly ones but as a rule I felt like an outsider.

So I rode pretty much alone or with one friend for the next year but kept looking for at least a few folks to ride with. One lady I met invited me along on a trip her club was having and I'm glad I went. It was with the Yamaha Star Riding club. I was made welcome by everyone there, not given a hard time because I was on a HD instead of a Yamaha. In fact, over half the members are on HD. It truly doesn't matter what you ride. They do 2 rides a month, usually 200+ miles. No bar hopping. I finally have a group of folks who are fun to be around and take their riding seriously.

Don't give up if you truly want to find a like minded group to ride with. They ARE out there. Not all clubs/groups are snotty kids that never grew up!

Last edited by DeeRides; 03-08-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:48 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by MDSuperGlide
I'd go to any HOG event if Eve was there. Haha just saying
LOL - Thank you MDS

Originally Posted by DeeRides
I found pretty much the same thing. As a re-newe rider I was excited to find a group to maybe learn from and ride with. It didn't take but 2 meetings to realize all they wanted to do was charity runs...and those very short in mileage. They considered 100 mile ride an all day affair! I had no interest in riding from bar to bar, I want to RIDE! And there's also that snotty 7th grade attitude of my bike is bigger/better than yours. There were a few nice friendly ones but as a rule I felt like an outsider.

So I rode pretty much alone or with one friend for the next year but kept looking for at least a few folks to ride with. One lady I met invited me along on a trip her club was having and I'm glad I went. It was with the Yamaha Star Riding club. I was made welcome by everyone there, not given a hard time because I was on a HD instead of a Yamaha. In fact, over half the members are on HD. It truly doesn't matter what you ride. They do 2 rides a month, usually 200+ miles. No bar hopping. I finally have a group of folks who are fun to be around and take their riding seriously.

Don't give up if you truly want to find a like minded group to ride with. They ARE out there. Not all clubs/groups are snotty kids that never grew up!
I promise to never make you feel like an outsider when we meet in GA

Old 03-08-2013 | 01:54 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior

Wife and I pretty much feel the same way the OP does. Too clickish. Always felt like an outsider and this is after going to meetings for a year straight! Been on a few group rides and they really are not my cup o' tea. I like the mag and the road assist so I keep my National membership, but the local thing not so much.

Went on my first poker run last year (non-HoG) and my last for damn sure. Started at 9 am at a bar (should have been my first clue) and folks were already drinking it up. Never felt safe the entire time and finally the ol' lady and I said f**k it and left about halfway thru.

Old 03-08-2013 | 02:11 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been to a few HOG events. Although they seem like good people, they also seem pretty clickish.

Been on various group rides, either for charity, sponsored by HOG, or similar group rides just to feel it out. Just about every "run" I've been on with any group is mostly people stopping at various places to eat, drink, or just stop for the hell of it....not much actual riding. One time I went on an all day charity ride, and we actually only rode about a total of 100 miles, but we stopped 7 times, all for at least 30 minutes/stop. That's just not for me. I like to just ride, or if I'm headed to a destination I don't stop until I'm there unless I need fuel along the way.

I love to ride & I love to drink....but never at the same time, so the bar hopping thing isn't for me either.

95% of the time I ride alone, or with the wife on back, just one bike. Occasionally I will ride with a couple friends and that's fine since they just want to ride as well, or we have a destination and don't stop until we get there. An all day ride for me involves usually stopping once to eat or at whatever destination I am going to and that's it unless I need fuel.

In summary, I have no desire to be active in my local HOG chapter, or any other group or club for that matter. If I want to ride with someone, I will ask a couple friends who I trust and actually want to ride with.

Last edited by Sharkman73; 03-08-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2013 | 02:31 PM
Tango69
Cruiser
Cool

I have never been a member of any big club.
You'll notice that my sig says RC. It isn't really even that.
Screamin Demons consist of just a few friends and family that ride and hang out together.
We don't have any membership dues or bi-laws or any kind of crap like that.
We just decide to go somewhere and we jump on our bikes and go.
I would much rather ride with a few people (friends & family) than by myself.
I don't think I would like being a part of a big club that had meetings and organized rides.

We aren't a real club but we have a cool logo on our shirts.

Old 03-08-2013 | 03:33 PM
steamybob
Tourer

In over 30 years of Harleying I've always found the HOG thing way too clicky. Doesn't matter which dealership or chapter, it's always the same - a nucleus of old men & women that bought bikes when their kids left home, then spend the rest of their lives preaching to those who have really done it.

Too much tire kicking & lie swopping for me, I'd rather be in the saddle - even if I'm on my own.

Whilst I'm at it, I also can't abide the HOG patch thing - there's probably a badge for how many times you take a pee (Send a photo peeing over various signs?!!).

Old 03-08-2013 | 03:38 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by steamybob
In over 30 years of Harleying I've always found the HOG thing way too clicky. Doesn't matter which dealership or chapter, it's always the same - a nucleus of old men & women that bought bikes when their kids left home, then spend the rest of their lives preaching to those who have really done it.

Too much tire kicking & lie swopping for me, I'd rather be in the saddle - even if I'm on my own.

Whilst I'm at it, I also can't abide the HOG patch thing - there's probably a badge for how many times you take a pee (Send a photo peeing over various signs?!!).
Very close to the truth right there...

Old 03-08-2013 | 04:05 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

After watching a large group trying to stay organized just leaving the dealership ( I was there to pick up a part) and all the near misses, I vowed "not I, no
Sir, NEVER!

Old 03-08-2013 | 04:06 PM
Rooster37
Road Master

Well it is just not me then... I had a local membership for three years simply for the local dealership discount that it gave me. I decided last season to finally go and ride with the local group. A simple 100 mile round trip to a well known biker bar that had good grub. The road captain left a lot to be desired. We had about 15 bikes in the pack which should of been simple enough to keep together. The pack ended up broken apart a number of times and the pack never mantained a consistant speed. The worse part is that while at the bar the road captain and a small group of others decided to bar hop leaving the majority of us to head back home alone. Not a big deal for me but a few had no idea where they were and tagged back with me. What a selfish group. Never seen a group that did not finish a ride..... Never again.....

Quick Reply: That Harley feeling