General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using old speedo as display clock

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Wide Glide 25
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using old speedo as display clock

I remember seeing someone else ask this question in another thread but didn't find any answers. I recently replaced my stock speedo with the HD 4 in combo digital speedo/analog tach. Is there an easy way to return power to the old speedo just to display it as a clock?

Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Easiest way to do this is

get yourself a quartz movement from a clock supply shop. They're usually only 3 to $5.(same type of movement that wall clocks have.) You may need to drill out the center hole on the speedo dial a bit to accommodate the clock stem. Then get yourself some hands from the same place as the movement and just glue it onto the backside of the dial. It won't be lit for nightime but should look pretty cool.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You can just buy them.

Attached Thumbnails Using old speedo as display clock-speedo.jpg  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

If you have a service manual with the schematics you might try taking it and the speedo to someone that is up on 12 volt electrical and have them take a look at it. Might be able to rig something up to allow you to power it off of 120.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
If you have a service manual with the schematics you might try taking it and the speedo to someone that is up on 12 volt electrical and have them take a look at it. Might be able to rig something up to allow you to power it off of 120.
Need a long *** extension cord to use 120v
(LOL, I know it was a typo IA, just messing with ya)

Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Prolly wasn't a typo...

Like myself, he was probably thinking the OP wanted a wall clock. But after reading the other responses, he may want to use it on the bike?

And many of the craft shops have the quartz movements also, just a little more expensive there.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

I was under the impression he wants to put it on a wall or bookshelf or desk.

Last edited by IronAss; 03-07-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default Either or it's an easy fix

Originally Posted by IronAss
I was under the impression he wants to put it on a wall or bookshelf or desk.
I make and repair clocks and those quartz movements for wall clocks are very small and run off an AA battery. All he's have to do is replace the battery once in a while. You can get the sweep (smooth movement) second hands or the (tick tick) for each second on the seconds hand. The hr and minute hands come in many different sizes.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default I'd be glad to help you with this

Originally Posted by Wide Glide 25
I remember seeing someone else ask this question in another thread but didn't find any answers. I recently replaced my stock speedo with the HD 4 in combo digital speedo/analog tach. Is there an easy way to return power to the old speedo just to display it as a clock?
clocks and watches are kinda my hobbie. Send me a pic of the front and rear of the speedo and its case and I may be able to send you what you need. Need the inside diameter of the case and how deep the back is and the exact diameter of the dial. I don't think I can help with the 12V power source though, just the AA battery idea. Pretty hard to find analogue clocks for cars that don't require a lot of repair.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
I make and repair clocks and those quartz movements for wall clocks are very small and run off an AA battery. All he's have to do is replace the battery once in a while. You can get the sweep (smooth movement) second hands or the (tick tick) for each second on the seconds hand. The hr and minute hands come in many different sizes.
When I was laid up after surgery a few years ago, I would buy take off air cleaner covers and make clocks out of them. I would get the movements at JoAnns fabrics (craft store). I sold them on ebay and made my beer money.

I don't have a newer bike with the speedo that has a hundred functions but I'm assuming the newer ones have a clock of some type built into them and he is wanting to use that one. At least that's the impression I get from reading his original post.

Maybe he'll come back on here and clarify it.

Quick Reply: Using old speedo as display clock