General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended service plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013 | 07:48 AM
kpb46
|
Road Master
Default Extended service plans

Sales guy at the Harley dealer said there is a service plan for any Harley under 12 yrs old and under 75000 miles. Anyone hear of this

Old 03-06-2013 | 09:24 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I know when I bought my bike new they offered me the over priced plan. I don't see why you couldn't buy it later. If I can't do it my self, I use an indy. I have found the dealership service to be awful.

Old 03-06-2013 | 01:29 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If he said there's one, there must be. Why would he lie?

Old 03-06-2013 | 05:23 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

yes, you can buy the esp if you are purchasing a used bike with those qualifications. however, you have to have the bike inspected, and i believe there is a 30 day wait period before it kicks in.

Old 03-06-2013 | 08:38 PM
VINTAGE HORSE
Advanced

We bought the extended plan. The cost was not exorbitant, and I believe it was for an extra three or four years beyond the two year factory warranty.

Old 03-06-2013 | 09:48 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Obviously the extended plan isn't a good investment for those who only ride a couple thousand miles per season but for others it can be a very good investment.

Even if you have a bike that's 25 months old and you loose a transmission you'd be thrilled to have an extended warranty.

I have a friend who owns a 2010 Ultra and his 103 was "fried" just past 10,000 miles and was he ever glad that he had the extended service plan!

I was told that I could purchase the extended service plan anytime prior to my factory warranty's expiration and I'm planning to do so.
I will shop around for the best deal as I hear the prices do vary from dealer to dealer.

Old 03-07-2013 | 06:05 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

There is a difference between the normal ESP and the type of plan I think the OP is speaking of. The ESP that is offered at most dealerships is an extension of the factory warranty, or bought as a warranty on a pre-owned bike. It can be purchased on a HD not older than 10 years. Our dealerhip also offers a plan called "priority service" which I think is more in line with what the OP was asking. Ours is dealer specific. It is only good at our service dept or the one at our sister dealer. It is a pre-paid 3 year plan. Any of your scheduled maintenance is free for the three years, you get one free battery, and they will pick up/deliver the bike if needed. The mileage is unlimited during the three years. As for worth, if you are one to use the dealer for service and plan to ride the bike, it could be worth it. I figured it up for a customer the other day, based on the prices of each service, if he got to 20K miles, he saved like $800 by buying the plan.

Old 03-07-2013 | 06:23 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by brettnbama
There is a difference between the normal ESP and the type of plan I think the OP is speaking of. The ESP that is offered at most dealerships is an extension of the factory warranty, or bought as a warranty on a pre-owned bike. It can be purchased on a HD not older than 10 years. Our dealerhip also offers a plan called "priority service" which I think is more in line with what the OP was asking. Ours is dealer specific. It is only good at our service dept or the one at our sister dealer. It is a pre-paid 3 year plan. Any of your scheduled maintenance is free for the three years, you get one free battery, and they will pick up/deliver the bike if needed. The mileage is unlimited during the three years. As for worth, if you are one to use the dealer for service and plan to ride the bike, it could be worth it. I figured it up for a customer the other day, based on the prices of each service, if he got to 20K miles, he saved like $800 by buying the plan.
no brett, their is an esp is available on used bike purchases. again, no more than 75,000 miles, not older than 12 years, and must be inspected prior to purchase (of the warranty). i don't know if it is administered by the same company, but it is good at all hd dealerships

Old 03-07-2013 | 06:32 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kpb46
Sales guy at the Harley dealer said there is a service plan for any Harley under 12 yrs old and under 75000 miles. Anyone hear of this
Yup, it's called ESP. I have it for my bike (5 years) and it'll expire in Nov this year. I might consider renewing it, depending on the price. 5 years ESP cost $1100 with wheel and tire coverage when the bike was new.

And it's not "not older than 12 years", it's "not older than 10 years" and the bike must have less than 75,000 miles when you renew it, which means you can renew it for a maximum of 5 years when the bike is 9 years and 11 months old, which covers the bike for a total of almost 15 years.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 03-07-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2013 | 01:34 PM
garand
Road Master

I wonder how many people who are pro-service plan also finance the plan, bike, or both. I'm willing to bet people who pay up front for a nice used bike, and don't finance, also don't buy service plans...regardless of miles ridden each year. You have to approach things with "the millionaire mind."

Quick Reply: Extended service plans