Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20000 mile service for softail...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 20000 mile service for softail...

I am nearing time for this service, and was just checking the manual for what to do. So it says to change engine, transmission and primary oil, along with the oil filter, inspect battery, inspect brake fluid, inspect brake pads and discs, check tire pressure, wheel spoke not necessary as I have a fatboy, inspect primary chain, perform clutch adjustment, inspect rear belt deflection, inspect rear belt and sprocket, adjust and lube steering head bearings, replace front fork oil, replace spark plugs, inspect air filter, inspect and if necessary lube hand controls, inspect throttle cables, inspect idle speed, check oil brake lines for leaks, inspect engine mounts, inspect electrical equipment and switches, tighten all critical fasteners, lube jiffy stand and road test. I left off two steps for carbeurated modes as I ahve FI model. Out of all of these steps, the ones I am concerned about doing are checking and lubing the steering head, and checking the belt and rear sprocket. This is the first harley I have had and I am unsure of how tight the belt should be. I guess I'll ge the speical tool for that, but as far as the steering head bearings go, how dificult is it to check anbd lube that? I won't trake it to the stealer to have all this done as it will cost an arm and a leg, and I'd rather learn to do it myself. It will probably be about 2 weeks to a month until I hit 20000, but I'm sre with the help of you here, I can do it quite easily...

Old 02-12-2007, 04:41 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: 20000 mile service for softail...

Doesnt your service manual tell you how to do this or do you just have the owners manual?
I would get the service manual if you dont have it already.
Is there a zerk on the steering neck?Just lube til you see grease.
I know there are threads here regarding this subject.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:40 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

you might not believe this but the stearing head bearings on my 85 fl and my 76 fx have never been greased by me. the only time they were greased was at the factory. these bikes don't have a grease zerk. i never had any problems. the way i think is, when the $10 set of bearings goes out i'll take it appart and fix it. then the new bearings will get greased. you can do whatever you want tho.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:53 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

Doesnt your service manual tell you how to do this or do you just have the owners manual?
I would get the service manual if you dont have it already.
Is there a zerk on the steering neck?Just lube til you see grease.
I know there are threads here regarding this subject.
Yes the SERVICE MANUEL does have detailed information as to the requirements and proceedures for this check/service.

Grease is applyed through a zert fitting on the leftside of the neck on the frame.

One thing does concern me(duh I should learn to read, this post says 20,000 miles)
In my 06 manuel, it only calls out lubricating the stearing head bearings at 1000 mile service and then every 10,000 mile service interval there after.

The manuel also explains in detail the prcedure for visually inspecting the bearings and also "swing testing " the steering head.