General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I will start wearing a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:36 AM
RenoRainesRenegade
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I will start wearing a helmet

First off, I am only sharing my thoughts, I am not trying topreach and most definitely am nottrying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. The freedom to choose is what makes America great.
I live in a state where helmets are optional for those over 18 and those with one year of experience, and other than helmetstates andrainnormally I go without a lid. It is not any kind of macho thing, I justabsolutely love the feeling of riding lidless. I have been riding since only 1993, not terribly long,and I ride very defensively. I have been fortunate in that I have never been ina wreck while on my bike, have never had to lay it down, never hit a deer, etc.
Last Sunday I was with my older sister when she died in the hospital at age54. Her condition was not the result of a bike accident. At the end she was terminal and, even thought she hada living will, thedocs askedme what to do, since I had herhealth care power of attorney. After talking it over with the rest of the family, Idecided to abide by her wishes and to unhook the machines.That decision, even though objectively it was the right thing to do, was justgut wrenching, like hammer blows,and something I would not wish on my worst enemy. Afterward, I was numb, and maybe still am to a degree. My parents, ages 93 and 85, are devastated at her death, especially my mom. Anyone who has gone through that situation knows what I mean when I say that gets you to thinking andcan change a person very easily. In her case, she deteriorated very quickly and they ended upturning off the ventilator just before she died, so the decision I made was renderedmoot. But it was a decision I and my family still had to make.
I know that when I ride I take a calculated risk that something bad might happen, and that I could end up hooked up to a bunch of machines. If I didn't have any family, I probably wouldn't care and probably wouldn't be writing this, but I do have family, and I don't want to put them through that situation a second time. I know that if I wear a helmet I still could end up hooked up to the machines, but statistically a helmet lessens the probability of that happening. If I knew for sure that if I were involved in an accident while riding I would either be o.k. or killed instantly, that probably wouldchange things, but I can't be sure of either of those two outcomes. I briefly considered giving up riding altogether as I am so used to riding lidless, but I decided I love riding too much.
Sorry for the length.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 AM
UncleMike
Road Master
Default RE: Why I will start wearing a helmet

Sorry about your sister..

Old 02-12-2007, 03:04 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry about your sister. You are right, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy either. Prayers to you and your family.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to be Lorenzo Lamas would you? Nice screen name!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

First, my heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family. Losing a loved one (regardless of circumstance) is never easy. Your election (and reasons therein) to wear a helmet as a result of what transpiredis one which I'm certain many others have contemplated time and again. I commend you for taking your loved ones (survivors) into account when making what was more than likely a difficult decision. Your selflessness in that regard is to be applauded. Personally, I don't regard your post as your preaching. Far to the contrary, I regard it as a man whose simply taken the stance of, "You know what? I'm just going to strap one on from now on for those I love" type of thing. If taking such a step makes you feel better about getting out there on the road on your bike (and hopefully minimizing any tragedies which might come your way), then I say 'Go for it!'

Today, I always make it a point to wear a DOT helmet each and every time I head out. It wasn't always that way. I didn't wear a helmet more than I did for many years. It wasn't until one day that my wife - not in a preaching type way and not with any anger whatsoever - said to me that 'she' felt better knowing I was out and about wearing a helmet. It was right then and there that 'it clicked' for me. All this time that I had been riding sans a lid, she worried. She worried but never told me to what extent. After she told me what she did, she didn't have to tell me the extent of her worry. I could see it in her eyes and frankly, I felt it in my heart. I've NEVER gone out without a helmet since. I love my wife more than life itself. And if my wearing a helmet helps to ease her mind somewhat, then I'd be foolish not to. Mind you, this is merely my viewpoint. Whether anyone out there elects to wear a helmet or not is fine by me. It's not what nor how we ride. It's that we ride that matters. Again, my condolences to you and your family. Respects.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:45 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

First of all, my condolences to you and your family. Those kind of decisions are always hard. Imagine what it's like to be a leader in the military, and have to decide who gets to go on the most difficult missions, knowing you could be sending someone to their death....and look them in their faces as you read off their names to go on the next convoy...been there done that, lost folks.[]

Wearing a helmet is probably a smart decision, the smartest decision would be to quit riding a motorcycle. Life is risks, and riding is a calculated risk, in that we decide to take the risk, with the knowledge that 9 out of 10 times, we are fine. In short, when it's your time to go, you are going to go. The beauty in all of this lays in you being able to make those decisions for yourself. Many in politics now feel that they need to protect you from yourself, and want to relieve you of the burden of making that decision, by making the decision for you. Will the helmet help? I'm sure it will, but it's only going to help save you, not prevent death. I wear a helmet, becasue my decision was taken away from me, by those that know what is best for me. If it were up to me, I would NOT wear one. First of all, because it is more comfortable, and second, because it pisses off those that want to control me, same as owning a gun, or voting conservative.[&:]

Joe
[&:]

Old 02-12-2007, 04:48 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

Lessons learned the difficult way.

Maybe someone else will learn as you provide proof. Too many with the 'Brain Bucket' syndrome shall learn the hard way.
At least you tried.

Jesus tried also.

Few listened.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:02 AM
surv1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, my condolences on the loss of your sister, I know it's very hard. Second, I know exactly what you went through, because I had to do the very same thing with my late wife in March of last year. It is the hardest decision I've ever had to make....bar none, and anyone that HASN'T been in that situation can't imagine what it's like to have to make that decision. I still find myself questioning the decision, and playing what if.....even though I know it was the right thing to do, and that it's what she wanted. My thoughts are with you.

My apologies, if I hijacked the thread......

Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 AM
iwant1
Tourer

My condolences to you.
Tough times to get through.
Me and my family went through a similar thing when my 37 year old cousin had a car accident. She seemed fine for a day or two but the seat belt had ruptured a arteries and caused blood clots.

She slipped into a Coma and eventually her folks had to make the same decision you did.

There is nothing that can prepare you for that sort of thing, I am still scarred by it.

Like you though, these experiences have made me grateful to be alive and while we choose to lead a less than ordinary life, we can also choose to reduce the risks of losing our lives through simpledecisions.

Here in Australia compulsory helmet laws were introduced in 1971. Riders were able to get 'Medical' exemptionsto those laws up until 1991 when exemptions were abolished. If you are in any doubt about the difference wearing a helmetmakes here's some facts (State of NSW Australiaonly);

Helmetsexempt (1981) 178 fatalities and 1,741 serious injury accidents

Compulsory Helmets (1991) 58 fatalities and832 serious injury accidents

Two thirds less deaths and half the serious injuries ! You have made the right decision

Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First, my heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family. Losing a loved one (regardless of circumstance) is never easy. Your election (and reasons therein) to wear a helmet as a result of what transpiredis one which I'm certain many others have contemplated time and again. I commend you for taking your loved ones (survivors) into account when making what was more than likely a difficult decision. Your selflessness in that regard is to be applauded. Personally, I don't regard your post as your preaching. Far to the contrary, I regard it as a man whose simply taken the stance of, "You know what? I'm just going to strap one on from now on for those I love" type of thing. If taking such a step makes you feel better about getting out there on the road on your bike (and hopefully minimizing any tragedies which might come your way), then I say 'Go for it!'
I couldn't say it better so i just borrowed TXharley's. I hope you Don't mind TX

Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Roses
Road Captain

Reno, I feel for your entire family. I work parttime at a facility where all of the patients are very incapacitated. The death of one of your family members is never a good thing. Just observing the effect it has on the nursing staff is heart wrenching. My condolences to your whole family.
ON the helmet thing, Congratulations. Going lidless may be "Cool" but it is not the wisest decision. I see plenty of car and bike wreck victims. Surprisingly even though the bike riders are broken up they are never brain damaged and usually walk out of the place eventually. the car vicitms almost always have some type of head trauma that mimicks a severe stroke and many are incapable of ever taking care of themselves again. I live in a mandatory state.

If lids are not a good idea, why do all race sanctioning bodies require them. To each his own, live and let live, Its everybodies own decision. but I think you are making the right one.

Besides, I have yet to understand why people want to put up with all of the road debris hitting them in the face. Rocks, insects, raindrops, particles of sand etc.

Quick Reply: Why I will start wearing a helmet