General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I will start wearing a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:11 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why I will start wearing a helmet

Iam anaccident survivor of not wearing an helmit years ago. I was told if I had been wearing a helmit a the time of the accident I would of die on the road. I did have a lost 95% of my skin on the road. Maybe they should make abody hemit. I do ride with a helmit do to laws and weather. The should people have a choice.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Sinkinfast
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very sorry for your loss.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:58 AM
springerlady02
Outstanding HDF Member

Very sorry to hear about your loss of your sister.I know what you are going through, we had to remove my sister from life support in august, a week after her 55 bday.
Thats why its very important to talk to your family and let them know your feelings about being on life support.It will help (alittle bit)knowing your wishes if having to make that dreaded decision.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Mathews2
I couldn't say it better so i just borrowed TXharley's. I hope you Don't mind TX
Don't mind at all. In fact, I'm both humbled and honored. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:24 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost my sister to cancer she was 39. I feel your pain and often more times than not wonder if my passion will result in some horrible situation..... But then I fire it up and ride anyway. lidless when I can and abide by the law when I have too.... My time will come regardless of any precautions I take. I love my family that's what my life insurance if for. I wish youwell during yourgrieving. thanks for the post... it made me think about my sister and how great she was.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:33 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My condolences to you and your family. I respect your decision to wear a helmet as well. I don't have a family and live where you have to wear a helmet by law, but even If i didn't, I'd still wear one. About 7 years ago I lost a friend who had me listed as his power of attorney, and had asked me to pull the plug on him as he didn't want to be kept alive by machines. It was unrelated to motorcycling, but was a heavy experience nonetheless. And I spent several months in the hospital back in 2005 as a result of a traumatic brain injury (non motorcycle related as well). I think that protecting my head is quite important, although I know have strayed from the pack on this issue on occasion. I don't ever want to bew in the hospital again with injuries to my head as a result of anything. I had enough relearning to walk and talk once at an adult age. I always pray prior to getting on my bike that god will keep me safe, and my wife as well. I know that is not enough as motorcycleists get in accidents eveyday, but I try to do all that I can.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,432 Likes on 4,355 Posts

My condolences and prayers to you and the family and friends.

My wife and I occasionally confirm to each other, though our wills already make it clear, that there will be no machine support used just to merely keep our bodies alive. Since I work in medicine, she and I can get the straight scoop from our MDs as to what the true situations are in whatever the specific case may be.

I hope all members have looked into their State law and determined how their wishes may be assured to becarried out and have been proactive about telling those things (plus in a legally binding form of writing) totheir loved ones.

Whatever a person's personaldirectives are, there isyet another step best to take: It is best to assure thatyourpersonal physician agrees with your directives and will support your directives.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to read about your loss.
The only accident I have been in, took quite a toll onthe full faced helmet I was wearing. There were deep gouges in the chin and forehead area of the helmet and the visor was also heavily scratched.
I can only imagine the damage my face and head would of sustained, ifI were not wearing a helmet.
Tom

Old 02-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about your loss.

That's always the biggest reason for wearing a helmet - other people who care about you and are left to suffer the loss.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
MAchonewon
Road Master

My condolonces as well. I am glad to know you think enough of this forum and the people on it to post such a personal matter. I wear a half helment for myself and my wife. After reading many of these post including Tmithell's of PG I think I will buy the full face. I know its uncomfortable but it doesn't take much of a hit on the head to cause serious injury and death. Just last weeka friend while working on the roof of his house fell from a ladderhit his head and died. A helment can prevent a small incident from turning into a life changing or ending incident.

Quick Reply: Why I will start wearing a helmet