General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Got a Warning

It was a gorgeous day in SOCAL. I spent all day riding from meeting to meeting. When I got home, there was a package on my porch (new Windvest clamps to fit my new R6C bars).

So, naturally, I had to mount the Windvest and road test it. Thing is, without it, I can tell how fast I'm going by how hard it is to hang on. 75 is pretty much my limit without the windvest...there is no limit with it. As I've said before, I hit 90 routinely without knowing it.

I decided to loop around the freeway and Hwy 101 (speed limit 50). No cars in front of me on 101, so I slipped into 6th and cruised. I saw what I thought was another bike in my rearview but didn't think anything about it. As I pulled up to the red light, that bike started flashing red and blue. I moved over in my lane to let him by, but he didn't want to pass...uh-oh.

Turns out I was way over the limit. LEO said he was over 65 and not gaining on me. I apologized and explained it's a new dyna, speedo on the tank, road testing the new windvest...aw screw it...I have no excuse. I didn't realize I was going that fast because I didn't check.

Long story short (I know, too late), he writes me a warning (my 1st ever).

In my 20 years of service, I have never had that LEO that says, "well, since you're in the military, I'm gonna let you off with a warning." I've always had the opposite reaction: "well, since you're in the military, you oughta know better!"

We ended up shootin' the **** about the new metal flake colors, LED lights, lane splitting, and crazy kids on sport bikes. After about 15 minutes, wished each other safe rides, and went our separate ways.

I may have to leave the Windvest in the garage for a while.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,691 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Every once in a while you get a good cop that understands safe enthusiasm vs being a reckless speeder... Good cop...and I bet you'll look at the speedo from now on...He made his point.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:08 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the exact opposite when I was stationed in Texas. I got off on some tickets for pretty outrageous speeds at least 5 or 6 times in the 2 years I was stationed there as long as I was at least 25-30 miles from post. If you were anywhere near post, they would write you up for anything and everything they could. I found the Texas State troopers were the easiest on us. Glad you only got a warning.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:07 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Might want to glance at the speedo once in awhile...

Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Good story with a great ending. I've gotten spoiled with my cruise on my car and wish I had one on the bike. And not that screw thing...a real cruise control.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good story..........stay safe.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 AM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Well done, you lucked out! Was beautiful yesterday, slow down a tad! LOL.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 AM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I've always been lucky with cops. Weather in the cage or on the bike. I've only ever had a fix-it ticket.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here I am, on my 2010 FLTRX with a newly rebuilt Stage IV 103 SE kit with 259e cams, opening it up after the breakin to see what this puppy does, probably just shy of 80mph. Heading East on the Mass Pike into Boston, round a slight curve into the radar array of a State Trooper in his cruiser. Got me...

Pull over into the break-down lane and he comes sauntering up in his jack boots and hat. First words out his mouth " How do you like your Road Glide"? We end up sitting on the guard rail for 20 minutes talking bikes, dealers, rides. Turns out he bought a used bike off the floor at my dealer - I had seen the bike there for months and knew it.

After our chat, he says that he had gotten me on radar and now the dash cam, so he had to do something, That something was a written warning, a smile and a handshake.

Oh, lucky me...

Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a few cool ones out there. Being respectful and honest goes a long way too. I've had a couple warnings after being stopped at speeds that were "within reason". I've also had a warning after being clocked at a speed that was clearly not within reason...

Quick Reply: Got a Warning