General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safest helmet to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz
No I'm not a journalist. And yes, I know the article is from 2005 and about the response from SNELL. $80 helmet was a Z1R.

As far as SHARP. You forgot to mention that there are 5 Arai's on that list that are rated 3 or below, and both Schuberth's were rated a 2. There are just as many helmets for less than half the price of these helmets you mentioned that are just as safe or safer, according to SHARP.

My Caberg cost me $200 and is rated a 5. And the only reason I spent that much is because I like the style, weight, airflow, visibility and because it was a modular.

Keep on spending $600+ on helmets that are not safer and I'll keep putting my $$ in the bank. Shoei, Arai and Schuberth make some good helmets, but the high price tag doesn't translate to a safer helmet.
I'll stick with a $300-$400 Shoei RF-1100 on sale, M2010 rated, full features, accessories and customer service (including x-ray analysis) and $150-$180 resale value, thank you.

And if I want to make a few passes at the dragstrip, no problem there either.

I didn't forget to mention, I didn't bother looking because I found the information I needed and didn't have to disclose exceptions or counters.

Curious, is Caberg still in business? Their website doesn't open at my current location.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:46 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I'll stick with a $300-$400 Shoei RF-1100 on sale, M2010 rated, full features, accessories and customer service (including x-ray analysis) and $150-$180 resale value, thank you.

And if I want to make a few passes at the dragstrip, no problem there either.

I didn't forget to mention, I didn't bother looking because I found the information I needed and didn't have to disclose exceptions or counters.

Curious, is Caberg still in business? Their website doesn't open at my current location.
As far as I know they're still in business. I bought just mine earlier this year and had exchanged emails directly with Caberg in Bergamo Italy. They're not in retail stores here in the US yet. Love their helmets. I have the Duke modular. I like the EGO fullface as well. Apparently it has one of the best airflow. It's like a mini sunroof. Kind of cool. Not sure what happened to their website. I cannot find the Italian website I was on earlier this year. But I found this UK site and it looks identical to the italian one.

http://www.cabergcares.co.uk/productshome.php

Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM
tbroder55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet

What diffrence does it make if you wipe out really bad. The rest of your body will be torn apart. So for me its kill me quick in what I love to do ride.