General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safest helmet to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Fits her good and it's quiet.
Is that a typo there? Did you mean to say" keeps her quiet"?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/au...anted=all&_r=0

Many head-injury scientists, motorcycle-accident researchers and helmet makers say they are concerned that the “premium protection" proffered by current Snell-certified helmets may not be better after all. They argue that current Snell-rated helmets are too rigid and unyielding to properly absorb impact energy in the great majority of motorcycle crashes, subjecting riders to preventable brain injuries.

That's from one article. There are others. You can search as easily as I can.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman

Many head-injury scientists, motorcycle-accident researchers and helmet makers say they are concerned that the “premium protection" proffered by current Snell-certified helmets may not be better after all. They argue that current Snell-rated helmets are too rigid and unyielding to properly absorb impact energy in the great majority of motorcycle crashes, subjecting riders to preventable brain injuries.

YOU have done/cited some valuable homework/info... Because helmets are generally 'too ridgid' there will soon be a new 'standard' and helmets as we currently know them are going to change, perhaps drastically...

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman

Originally Posted by GliderDude
YOU have done/cited some valuable homework/info... Because helmets are generally 'too ridgid' there will soon be a new 'standard' and helmets as we currently know them are going to change, perhaps drastically...
That article was somewhat crappy, written in 2009, from the NY Times. Shocker. Doesn't mention the other tests that are performed.

Pointless now since M2010 has been out for years and DOT doesn't even perform some of the tests that SNELL does.

Again, you can't even get on a track with a non-SNELL helmet.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:10 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

You don't have to spend $500, or even $200 you have a safe helmet. Although Shoei, Arai and Schuberth snobs may disagree, more expensive helmets are not necessarily safer. There was a test done some years ago by Motorcyclist magazine, "Blowing the Lid Off". One of the tests they performed measured the g-force on impact. The helmets they tested were priced as low as $80, and as high $700. The $80 helmet won the contest. It transferred less energy to the head than all the other helmets. The least amount of g-force transferred, the less chance of serious brain damage.

Look at SHARP (Safety Helmet and Assessment Rating Programme) website. They take helmets that are in retail stores to test, unlike SNELL, and I think DOT, who are provided with test helmets from the manufacturer. This might be a better guide to how safe a helmet is. They rate their helmets from 1 star to 5....5 being the safest. And I believe they do more extensive testing than DOT or SNELL. You can easily search the hemet your looking at to see what it's rated. Take a look and you'll see that there are some reasonably priced helmets that are safer than some of the higher priced ones.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk

Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Steve Jenkins
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz
You don't have to spend $500, or even $200 you have a safe helmet. Although Shoei, Arai and Schuberth snobs may disagree, more expensive helmets are not necessarily safer. There was a test done some years ago by Motorcyclist magazine, "Blowing the Lid Off". One of the tests they performed measured the g-force on impact. The helmets they tested were priced as low as $80, and as high $700. The $80 helmet won the contest. It transferred less energy to the head than all the other helmets. The least amount of g-force transferred, the less chance of serious brain damage.

Look at SHARP (Safety Helmet and Assessment Rating Programme) website. They take helmets that are in retail stores to test, unlike SNELL, and I think DOT, who are provided with test helmets from the manufacturer. This might be a better guide to how safe a helmet is. They rate their helmets from 1 star to 5....5 being the safest. And I believe they do more extensive testing than DOT or SNELL. You can easily search the hemet your looking at to see what it's rated. Take a look and you'll see that there are some reasonably priced helmets that are safer than some of the higher priced ones.

Thats a great resource, thanks!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz

Aren't you some sort of journalist? Which was the $80 dollar helmet?

Did you know that article was from 06/2005?
How about the technical response from SNELL:
http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/pdf...response_2.pdf

Racing sanctioning bodies and tracks still require SNELL.

SHARP is an interesting website but:
Arai RX-7 GP Full face 589.00 4 stars.
Shoei XR-1100 Full face 379.00 5 stars

Keep telling yourself not to spend over $100 on a helmet. Or ignore the ECE, or M2010 ratings...

Old 02-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Think fun helmets- $400 ain't bad considering gov't will be raising penalties for everything in the very near future-
http://www.osbeusa.com/products/Tornado-Uni.html

Product Description

MATERIAL has ultra light aluminum screw and plate and a micrometric buckle.

INNER LINING made with new technical liner.

OUTER FINISH comes in Matte Black.

FEATURES a double screen, one colorless and the other with solar protection.

SIZE comes in XS to XL.
FACE SHIELDS included.
Meets or exceeds D.O.T. standards.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
pexcomike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins
This helmet is for the Lil lady so I need a FF helmet that is gonna protect her noggin.
I bought my girl an Arai RXQ ...most comfortable fit of all we tried ...vented really well...we wear ours in Florida year round...really a great well-made helmet...was pricey, but felt it was a good major investment in safety equipment

Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Aren't you some sort of journalist? Which was the $80 dollar helmet?

Did you know that article was from 06/2005?
How about the technical response from SNELL:
http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/pdf...response_2.pdf

Racing sanctioning bodies and tracks still require SNELL.

SHARP is an interesting website but:
Arai RX-7 GP Full face 589.00 4 stars.
Shoei XR-1100 Full face 379.00 5 stars

Keep telling yourself not to spend over $100 on a helmet. Or ignore the ECE, or M2010 ratings...
No I'm not a journalist. And yes, I know the article is from 2005 and about the response from SNELL. $80 helmet was a Z1R.

As far as SHARP. You forgot to mention that there are 5 Arai's on that list that are rated 3 or below, and both Schuberth's were rated a 2. There are just as many helmets for less than half the price of these helmets you mentioned that are just as safe or safer, according to SHARP.

My Caberg cost me $200 and is rated a 5. And the only reason I spent that much is because I like the style, weight, airflow, visibility and because it was a modular.

Keep on spending $600+ on helmets that are not safer and I'll keep putting my $$ in the bank. Shoei, Arai and Schuberth make some good helmets, but the high price tag doesn't translate to a safer helmet.

Quick Reply: Safest helmet to buy?