General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safest helmet to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins
I'm not really talkin half helmet compared to full face helmet but more certifications. I know DOT certifies helmets but have heard good and bad things. Is there any other organizations that certify helmets? I wear a DOT compliant half helmet but am looking for a good helmet for the wife.
If all your riding skills fail and you go down- any helmet will work per the other factors..speed, road condition, adjacent obstacles, other vehicles, time of day, and physical conditioning.

If you trust government to make your choices there are plenty of "certified" helmets available with demonstration videos.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmets
http://www.leatherup.com/l/Motorcycle-Helmets/12.html

Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

This helmet is for the Lil lady so I need a FF helmet that is gonna protect her noggin.
Newly wed, huh!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

I think modular is the way I'm going to go. Now to figure out which one.
I really like my Bell in crappy weather...

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Bell-Revo...et/322670.html

Last edited by Sling Blade 14; 02-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Steve Jenkins
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Newly wed, huh!
Lol, 19 yr newleyweds.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,032 Likes on 4,219 Posts

The helmet is for the wife. I know I'm not doing myself any favors wearing a HH if I go down but I can't wear a FF.
They can be a real pain sometimes. I have an HJC AC3 3/4 with the full 3/4 shield but ride year round and just sort of got comfortable with the X11 Shoei full helmet. To do it require me to put a tac on the bars so I can see my speed. Have a pad on my seat to hook my glasses since you cannot put it on over glasses and I also run the size L cheek pads in a size EL helmet. My sissy pad is actually a 1/4 scale custom made leather hat hook for it with a helmet lock to store the monster on. If its really hot I sometimes throw up the visor but I would think a wife will like less bugs and crap bouncing off her face. Guess if she rides on the back you need to check for helmet lock. You don't want to have to ask someone to kick you apart ever time you stop?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think modular is the way I'm going to go. Now to figure out which one.
Generally heavier and more noisy. And not as safe as a FF. But I prefer them also. That is when I'm not wearing my 1/2. Usually winter or roadtrips.
I have the HJC symaxII modular and I wouldn't recommend it. Too much noise comes in under the chin and I get reverb from the pipes at highway speed. Sounds like I'm wearing a bucket. Earplugs mandatory.

My wife wears an HJC cl-sp FF exclusively and she loves it. Fits her good and it's quiet.

If I were to get another one I would look into the lighter carbon fiber types.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Havic08
I wear a Shoei Neotech modular. I love the fit, it is one of the best helmets I have ever worn. Of course the price is very high but out of all the ones I tested it fit the best. I had a regular FF and then went modular, I will stay with modular. Love the flip up.

I would recommend going down to some of the metric shops as they tend to carry more helmets. Try some on and see for yourself. I had to goto a BMW dealer to try out the Neotech.

gl
I was checking the Shoei Neotech out today. Only thing i don't like is the $749 canadian dollar tag on it. I'll wait and see if i can pick it up for less in sturgis.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

I use a HD Half helmet in the summer, and a Shoei Full Face the rest of the year. I have to admit I really love them both!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ECE R22-05 – Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally, required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g’s (the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it’s wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa. - See more at: http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs....jeguk3yM.dpuf

Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Generally heavier and more noisy. And not as safe as a FF.
If I were to get another one I would look into the lighter carbon fiber types.
There is a Snell approved modular on the market. CF would put it at $1000 I bet if they even bothered making one.

Originally Posted by glock221
ECE R22-05 – Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally, required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g’s (the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it’s wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa. - See more at: http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs....jeguk3yM.dpuf
You paraphrased a bit:

Snell: The M2010 standard allows a maximum of 275g’s (the Snell anvil is a steel ball shaped rather like a tennis ball, they also test with flat and “kerb” shaped anvils).
AND:
a helmet that passes the M2010 test will probably also pass the DOT and ECE R22-05 tests (though this isn’t guaranteed).

ECE: The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard.
YET listed the same 275g max and claims to be more up-to-date than the 2010 without proof. The "-05" implies year 2005.
Also "more in common" can mean the tests performed but doesn't mention the limits, etc.

Question - will a DOT modular pass ECE and NOT Snell?

Arai makes a DOT/SNELL/ECE helmet as I mentioned earlier.

Quick Reply: Safest helmet to buy?