General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safest helmet to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

In addition to Snell, European helmets have their own testing certifications.

I use a modular Shark Evoline. Has no Snell rating, but even higher European certs.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 PM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, the certifications are all different....don't get wound up on it. If it is DOT it's fine. Snell and the others are different certifications....with different tests. Some sources like the DOT test and some think SNELL is better.....some think some of the European tests are better. Some tests use Blount objects and penetration....some use bounce tests on concrete....

With that...helmets need to be tried on and fitted properly. The one that is the most comfortable is the best helmet. They all have different designs and shapes.....I have several helmets....all different....ALL FF helmets, all DOT and SNELL approved....my favorite is a Shoei....light,small profile, and good ventilation. Lots of good ones...some are more expensive than others. For a less expensive DOT and SNELL approved helmet, try Scorpion Helmets....I have one and my wife has one....
You cant go wrong with a Shoei....or an Aria....they cost more but they are really good.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

A Snell FF. More expensive ones will have better venting, more comfortable padding, more features, better aerodynamics, quieter, etc. etc.

You can likely find a new Shoei or Arai for $300 for a good sale price. A top-of-the-line, multi-colored unit is around $600. $400 is a good price.

Shoei and Arai are very good and easy to find. Depends how your head is shaped many times. Arai's have, last I checked, a more difficult to remove shield. They also tend to have the chin piece closer to the chin.

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
None of them have realistic testing practices like on a crash dummy for example so it's all a guessing game whether one protects you better than another imo.

The full faces are tested by SNELL. Last I heard they didn't test modular full face ones which is what I wear when I'm not wearing my 1/2 which is rarely.

My wife has an HJC full face which she likes. It's DOT and SNELL approved which means they passed the drop from a stepladder test in the laboratory.

Shoei and Arai are two of the much higher priced helmets that reportedly protect your head better.
Sorry, that's all false.

SNELL develops test standards for decades to most closely replicate impacts seen by motorcyclists.

Modulars CAN be tested, if they are submitted. I recently learned on here there is one brand with a Snell approved modular.

It's a LOT more than a step ladder test.

Protecting the head better is a tough claim if a $150 vs. a $600 pass the Snell test.

Originally Posted by Tedjay
Wife and I both wear the Shoei RF-1100. It's comfortable and has good venting for those hot days. DOT and SNELL approval is a plus.
GREAT helmet. Light, removable lining, easy to install a comm. system.

The X-12 offers the same protection EXCEPT a little noisier but has a bladder on top push off the skull rather than being PULLED off by EMTs.

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
In addition to Snell, European helmets have their own testing certifications.

I use a modular Shark Evoline. Has no Snell rating, but even higher European certs.
ECE is not higher, it is simply different. Arai has a FF that offers all 3 certs, DOT, SNELL and ECE.

If you race in the US, you likely are required a SNELL. If you ride in Europe, ECE, race likely an ECE and after that, FIA which is race only and I'm not even sure if it covers motorcycles.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Far as protecting your head, what makes a $500-$600+ Shoei helmet better than a $250 HJC?. Are there any studies that show this.

Fashion, fit and finish, and the like is one thing but as far as making a hill of beans difference in the outcome of a motorcycle accident I'm not convinced that more money equals more safety.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Far as protecting your head, what makes a $500-$600+ Shoei helmet better than a $250 HJC?. Are there any studies that show this.

Fashion, fit and finish, and the like is one thing but as far as making a hill of beans difference in the outcome of a motorcycle accident I'm not convinced that more money equals more safety.
Exactly. If they all meet the same standard, you can't know.

I would add features and aerodynamics your F,F&F list above.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by passae
First, the certifications are all different....don't get wound up on it. If it is DOT it's fine. Snell and the others are different certifications....with different tests. Some sources like the DOT test and some think SNELL is better.....some think some of the European tests are better. Some tests use Blount objects and penetration....some use bounce tests on concrete....
I contest the "DOT" its fine statement. DOT has standards, but it's more of self-declaration and they test randomly? I believe.

SNELL the companies have to apply, and has more rigorous standards.

You can't race with a DOT-only helmet. You have to have SNELL and there are reason(s).

Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Spookygirl75
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Nolan. Its light and its fully Snell/DOT compliant.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Afrobaron
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a Shoei RF-1000, it is the 1100 predecessor. I got mine from Competition Accessories in the close out section. They have some of the RF-1100 buckets on clearance now. I bet you find something you she will like.
Oh and also the Bell full face helmets are great build quality, light weight and good airflow.
Bargains-Specials-Helmets

Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Steve Jenkins
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great suggestions, I'm sure I'll be able to find something she likes that also gives her the best protection.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Ya kinda makes me wounder if my $50 dollar Daytona 3/4 helmet is any good as far as protection! I love the way it fits and how light it is but will it protect?

Quick Reply: Safest helmet to buy?