General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this BAD experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM
perrypogue
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd appreciate your thoughts on this BAD experience

I really had a bad experience yesterday and would appreciate your thoughts regarding it. I'm a relatively new rider and the person I'm about to describe is very experienced. The situation was this couple was invited to dinner with my now ex-gf. My bike was outside and when he walked in he said he'd like to see my bike. I said sure. Later I heard my bike start. I really couldn't believe it was my bike. Another 10 minutes passed and he came in and asked how to turn off my hazard lights. At that point my head almost exploded as I realized he'd indeed started my bike and was messing with all the switches, etc. I was furious and we almost fought. I told him how I just couldn't believe he'd even touched my bike and how wrong I thought he was for messing with my bike. I was so mad that I knew we didn't need to be in the same house together. I packed my gear and quickly left. I'm 68 and he's a little younger. I thought at our age we had no business fighting. I just left. I thought my gf should have had my back but she instead apologized for my actions. It was at her house.

What would you have done? Who do you think was at fault?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 AM
latnyte
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would have dropped him the second he started it

Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

This has come up here a few times over the years and you are going to get conflicting opinions on it.

I would have had a tough time maintaining my composure. I did get physical with someone a long time ago that I found sitting on my bike when I came out of a bar. I put him through a plate glass window. I'm much older and slower now but I would still go ballistic.

To me, it's no different than someone just walking into my house and messing with my stereo or getting in my car and messing with it. I won't tolerate it, period!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM
perrypogue
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had been sitting on my bike checking what all he had done and turning off the hazard lights and satisfying myself that the bike was turned off properly. As the agrument was quite heated at this point (we were very near swinging) he had moved in on me and I was standing but pinned against my bike. I realized the first thing that was going to happen was I'd be pushed over my bike and the bike and I would go down.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Find a new friend and lock your bike from now on.

Don't lock it and next time it may end up in parts at some swap meet.

al

Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 AM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My reaction would depend on who and how good a friend of mine did this. Not saying that it is acceptable at all but if he was just a so so friend than yes I would drop him, if it had been one of my better friends than a stern warning and talking to would be the route I would have taken. I feel for ya, its a hard situationto be put in...

Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Next time lock the bike. It will prevent stupid.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

The only time my bike is not locked, is when it's in my own garage.

He had no right to even touch your bike without you being there.

You did the right thing by removing yourself from the situation.

Lesson learned, always lock your bike when unattended, cause there are alot of jerks out there who have no respect.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I completely understand your reaction.

You are going to run the gamut with opinions here. Let me say that I am known among my friends as being OCD with the way I take care of my stuff but.......

I would have written it off to the fact that the guy is just a tool bag without any common sense and since there was no damage, my relationship with my girlfriend would be more important to me than a hunk of iron with an engine.

Also, I would have gone outside and (politely?) intervened at the point I heard the bike start.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You told him it was OK and you couldn't be bothered to lock your bike or even go with with him to show it to him.

Your own fault.

Quick Reply: I'd appreciate your thoughts on this BAD experience