General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vrod

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the numbers I was referring to are at the crank.
V-Max = 200hp/167tq
V-Rod = 122hp/87tq (I see people posting 125, but what I'm finding is 122...don't know which is right), but those are CRANK numbers.

As someone already stated. it's rear wheel hp that tells the story, and the V-Max is still putting about 165-170 to the wheel, whereas the V-Rod is around 100 or so.

When you compare apples to apples (crank to crank) or oranges to oranges (rear wheel to rear wheel), doesn't matter how you look at it, the V-Rod is a turd compared to the V-Max...& so is the K1600 & Ducati's muscle bike.The V-Max has slightly more parasitic drivetrain loss due to the shaft drive, but either way you look at it, it's a mind blowing difference.

I haven't ever ridden a Ducati or a K1600, but I have been on a new V-Rod and a new V-Max in the last 6 months. The V-Rod has power, but the V-Max will blow you away.

Not bashing the V-Rod at all, but the V-Max is the undisputed king of muscle bikes IMO....nothing else is even close. If you ever get a chance to test one out...do it, just be prepared & you might want to wear one of those adult diapers, lol

Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Rod

WE AGREE. Can't you see that? The text you quoted from my message was wrong. I typed 176 instead of 167 (what the max puts to the rear wheel). But still, at 100 rwhp (Vrod) vs 167 rwhp (Vmax) that's a significant difference, especially since they are true competing (for the same customer) models.

The whole point I was trying to make is there is a vast difference between the two bikes and that's the thing people buy them for. So if that's the "thing" you better have more of "it".

Yeah, patriotism may cause some to give the Vrod the nod but people looking for a cruiser based bike with some stomp would do themselves a disservice if they didn't take a look at the Vmax.

I can't explain myself any better than that. If it ain't clear, its because I'm apparently too stupid to convey my thoughts through text.

I agree with what you just said 100%. The only thing that I was trying to clarify were the numbers. The 2 bikes in question are about 75HP difference, which we both agree on and can see from both factory specs and dyno numbers at the tire. It's all good brotha!

When I bought my V-Rod in 2010, I had caught wind of the new V-Max coming out. That kind of power and performance was hard to ignore. I was coming off of a 30-year-old, rigid Honda, so anything would be an upgrade. I ultimately chose the V-Rod for the reasons that, to me, made sense. As my primary bike it just felt better in terms of ergonomics. The power was "enough", and the looks were more my style. As a second bike I'd ride the hell outta a V-Max, but if I could only own one, it would definitely be the 'Rod.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

V max is definitely the ultimate muscle cruiser; however, the v max is nearly 1700 cc's (1679) and the V rod is only 1250cc's. That's nearly 400 cc's more. for as big as the v rod engine is it produces a lot of power.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You kids arguing V mAX vs. V Rod are still apples and oranges.
The V MAx is now a $20,000 dollar bike that is EVEN more single purpose than a V ROD. I can ride my V Rod just like my Dyna (all day long in comfort) Yet have more HP than an airhead.

When comparing a Vmax output to the V Rod some seem to simply ignore the fact that the V MAX is V 4 motor with questionable ergos. I couldn't ride one very long and I've sat on several!!

So the V Rod is what it is, faster than an airhead and still better than many other "power cruisers" ( Warior/Mean streak/etc and slower than a few V MAX and Diavel! another 20K+ bike with issues!)

The Diavel is also much faster than a V ROD. It looks like a whale from the cockpit and spreads it's gastank faster than a $10 dollar *****!
Choices! Isn't it great!

I didn't ask anyone to buy any of my bikes for me, so the choice is very personnal. Buy what you want, but stop reaching for any argument to try and "PROVE" anyone made a bad choice. I would think guys that ride Harleys could understand THAT! No one can justify a Harley as a Motorcycle, they are much more that that to their owners!

The VRod gets you the dealer network (Harley) and very good quality.

Now let's compare the E Glide to the Goldwing/BWM/Multistrada!
(That makes as much sense as these spurious arguement about a V MAX.)

Last edited by FBRR; 02-26-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
V max is definitely the ultimate muscle cruiser; however, the v max is nearly 1700 cc's (1679) and the V rod is only 1250cc's. That's nearly 400 cc's more. for as big as the v rod engine is it produces a lot of power.
That is true.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
Yes, the numbers I was referring to are at the crank.
V-Max = 200hp/167tq
V-Rod = 122hp/87tq (I see people posting 125, but what I'm finding is 122...don't know which is right), but those are CRANK numbers.

As someone already stated. it's rear wheel hp that tells the story, and the V-Max is still putting about 165-170 to the wheel, whereas the V-Rod is around 100 or so.

When you compare apples to apples (crank to crank) or oranges to oranges (rear wheel to rear wheel), doesn't matter how you look at it, the V-Rod is a turd compared to the V-Max...& so is the K1600 & Ducati's muscle bike.The V-Max has slightly more parasitic drivetrain loss due to the shaft drive, but either way you look at it, it's a mind blowing difference.

I haven't ever ridden a Ducati or a K1600, but I have been on a new V-Rod and a new V-Max in the last 6 months. The V-Rod has power, but the V-Max will blow you away.

Not bashing the V-Rod at all, but the V-Max is the undisputed king of muscle bikes IMO....nothing else is even close. If you ever get a chance to test one out...do it, just be prepared & you might want to wear one of those adult diapers, lol

No one is denying it, the Max spanks the Rod by about 75HP, crank or wheel. The thing is a monster. To get that power out of the Harley you'd have to turbo it or go serious big bore... I really think that Harley fell short of the mark with the Revolution's power considering the top dogs in it's class/price range. 160-ish would be competitive. But for what it is, it's still a great bike. I could always use a little more juice though...

Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FBRR
The V MAx is now a $20,000 dollar bike that is EVEN more single purpose than a V ROD. I can ride my V Rod just like my Dyna (all day long in comfort) Yet have more HP than an airhead.

When comparing a Vmax output to the V Rod some seem to simply ignore the fact that the V MAX is V 4 motor with questionable ergos. I couldn't ride one very long and I've sat on several!!

So the V Rod is what it is, faster than an airhead and still better than many other "power cruisers" ( Warior/Muscle/etc and slower than a few V MAX and Diavel! another 20K+ bike with issues!)

The Diavel is also much faster than a V ROD. It looks like a whale from the cockpit and spreads it's gastank faster than a $10 dollar *****!
Choices! Isn't it great!

I didn't ask anyone to buy any of my bikes for me, so the choice is very personnal. Buy what you want, but stop reaching for any argument to try and "PROVE" anyone made a bad choice. I would think guys that ride Harleys could understand THAT! No one can justify a Harley as a Motorcycle, they are much more that that to their owners!

I sure didn't mean to offend any VRod owners & it got a little off topic.
I wasn't trying to talk up the V-Max as an all around better bike, just stating the facts about power is all.
There would be many advantages to owning a VRod over any other muscle bike. I own a Harley for many reasons.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I knew we were on the same page. The typing thing isn't quite as good as standing around at deals gap or someplace shooting breeze with other riders. Which is something I like to do.

I love motorcycles, ALL of them. If I could get a V-rod cheap, I'd do it. But it wouldn't be my main axe.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I OK I'll Play. Why would anyone ride a Dyna Superglide Custom when they could buy a BMW R1200R. Much faster bike, more HP, handles not only BETTER but MUCH Better!!????

How about a Triumph naked like the Speed triple! Boy Harley sure missed the mark on HP and Handling when compared to that naked! It's only a 1050cc yet makes FAR MORE HP than a 96 cu in. HARLEY. How could Harley be so stupid! What were they thinking, no one wants a FXDC when they can buy a Speed Triple.

Just as silly!

And I will point out again if you really wanted 160 HP, the difference in price between a V ROD and Diavel/V MAX, you could BUY that HP!

I do know when I'm out in the country and come up to a line of "Harleys in Parade rest" at 48 MPH (for the slowest least experienced rider in their 10 bike parade) it sure pisses 'em off then I crank the throttle and rocket past! (with ONLY 100 RWHP),heheheheh

Last edited by FBRR; 02-26-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FBRR

So the V Rod is what it is, faster than an airhead and still better than many other "power cruisers" ( Warior/Muscle/etc and slower than a few V MAX and Diavel! another 20K+ bike with issues!)

Choices! Isn't it great!

Quick Reply: Vrod