General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vrod

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
I don't think it would work as a bagger. All the bagger owners would get confused that you actually had to ride above 1500 rpm to get to the real power.

When I went for the test ride before I traded the vrod for the FLD I was turning the 103 to the rpm limiter in first and second gear several times before I got used to not having that power up high. The thing is though once the heavy FLD got rolling it didn't feel any stronger down low than the vrod. I knew it was going to be a letdown in performance changing to the FLD but I was prepared to bite the bullet and live with it for the comfort and handling of the FLD, still hoping HD will someday have a showroom stock bagger that will run at least as good as the vrod.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the V-rod, particularly the NRS, but in all fairness it also competes with the Yamaha V-max and Ducati Diavel, and it's not blowing either of them away.

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Let's see. The model is in it's 11th successful year with three plants making them world wide. My take it is appreciated NOW!

As was posted it is a power cruiser and does not compete with crouch rockets. It competes with other power cruisers. Honda VTX1800, Suzuki M109R, Vulcan V2000, which resulted in the demise of the VTX1800 that even deep discounted to $9K still could not survive along with the V2000.

The Vrod blows all of them away in the 1/4 and top end. By the way the MSRP was close on all of them.

Unless you put some serious seat time on one you know nothing about them.

I have all of the HD families of bikes and the 12 Night Rod Special is as comfortable as the best one and far better than the 10 Dyna Super Glide. I can ride into the sunset with the Vrod with ease. I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
I like the V-rod, particularly the NRS, but in all fairness it also competes with the Yamaha V-max and Ducati Diavel, and it's not blowing either of them away.
The Vrod blows the Ducati away in the looks department...I am a huge Ducati fan (I've owned a Monster and a 916) but that Diavel is UGLY...To each his own though....

Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 PM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Let's see. The model is in it's 11th successful year with three plants making them world wide. My take it is appreciated NOW!

As was posted it is a power cruiser and does not compete with crouch rockets. It competes with other power cruisers. Honda VTX1800, Suzuki M109R, Vulcan V2000, which resulted in the demise of the VTX1800 that even deep discounted to $9K still could not survive along with the V2000.

The Vrod blows all of them away in the 1/4 and top end. By the way the MSRP was close on all of them.

Unless you put some serious seat time on one you know nothing about them.

I have all of the HD families of bikes and the 12 Night Rod Special is as comfortable as the best one and far better than the 10 Dyna Super Glide. I can ride into the sunset with the Vrod with ease. I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs.

Measuring its subsequent success or lack thereof against Harley’s other sellout model families is a bit unfair, but The Motor Company says it sold all 11,000 V-Rods to dealers the bike’s first year, and that it doubled production for 2003 and sold the majority. (HD sold 50,000th V-Rod in February 2005, a lot of motorcycles by any standard) The European market is a big part of the equation, of course, as riders there like metric liquid power-at one time the V-Rod was the best-selling Harley abroad when it was sixth here. In any event the bike has accomplished its primary mission-the majority of V-Rod owners have either come from or currently own competitive makes. And I call that a success story!!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:44 AM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I love my twin cam air cooled engine, but if they ever drop that V rod mill into a touring frame, I'm gonna be all over it.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I agree with RK4ME. I'm not against the V Rod technology at all. Just put it in a package I can use, like the Dyna or Touring family. I have no interest in sitting on my tailbone with the soles of my feet facing forward and a hump in my lower back. HD needs to realize that those of us who have the money to buy a V Rod don't want to be uncomfortable.

While they're at it; put a little clearance in the backbone of the frame so the valve covers can come off for the required shim under bucket checks. I know, there are guys who can do it without loosing the motor from the frame. However, it's downright criminal that with a completely clean sheet design (frame and motor) they put in a removable frame tube to drop the motor for valve clearance checks. I'm interested in what the bike could be but unless it develops into something useful, (to me) I'm out.

In my opinion, (and that aint worth anything), they better tie that platform into something that currently sells; in a hurry. Willie G aint around anymore to look out for a "weak sister" on the sales floor. Even before the internet, people were saying the EPA was gonna make air cooled engines a thing of the past. Yet, here we are riding 1.6 liter (and bigger) air cooled motorcycles in 2013. I wouldn't count on EPA regulation to make the V Rod a seller.

The EPA is run by government employees, HD is run by businessmen who know how to do business. In any contest, the determining factor more often than not is motivation. I'll pit the motivation of a guy who wants to get and stay rich over a civil servant everyday of the week

If they build it, I will come.
You don't have to remove any part of the frame to lower the engine to check valve clearance or adjustment. It is less trouble to lower the engine on a V Rod than it is to change the spark plugs on some metric sport bikes.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

At the risk of causing a riot............ I think Harley has an eye on the future.
Whether we like it or not,......there will come a time when all Harleys are water cooled. BMW have now made a Boxer water cooled engine and its new GS has been launched to much acclaim. I know lots of BMW riders who cursed and swore the firm would go bust if they ever did that and now their standing in line to buy one.
Harley need to produce an engine that hides the water cooling system to make it look as if its not there. I have no doubt people are looking at this as I type.
The issue is emissions ,power and fuel economy. The V rod is already out there, in the UK its a liked bike, it compeats well with Triumph and other like makes. Japanese sports bikes are on the decline and dirt cheep to buy. There are so many speed traps in the UK its just not worth blasting about the place, that is unless you dont mind losing your licence.

I think think the V rod is well placed, its not considered a sports bike but a muscle bike, you dont have to ride like an idot on it, you can cruse at legal speed.
The US may be the major market but Harley does well internationaly too . I love my RKC but with increased traffic congestion on roads not only in the UK but throughout Europe its getting tougher to ride an air cooled bike these days.

Last edited by reddog8145; 02-26-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the vrod is an ugly bike with limited appeal. I also realize that the vrod appeals to some. I am not one of them. I also don't think the vrod is the future of HD. I think the vrod is a niche bike. I don't think water cooling is a big hit with traditional Harley owners. We will see how these predictions turn out in ten more years.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Here4theLaffs
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K00LJerk
I think young sport bike riders eventually evolve to cruisers. when yer 50 and tired of lying on yer nuts. That said I love the concept of the Vrod would have one if I could afford two bikes
Or they evolve into sport tourer riders, like the BMW, Yamaha FJR or Kawi Concours. You see a lot of older guys riding those bikes because they still want the performance but want better comfort.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I don't think water cooling is a big hit with traditional Harley owners. We will see how these predictions turn out in ten more years.
The issue is that it doesn't matter if water cooling is a big hit with more traditional Harley owners or not; it comes down to what Harley has to do to meet stricter and stricter regulations. Also, more traditional Harley owners won't be buying as many bikes as the newer generation of Harley owners will be in the future.

Quick Reply: Vrod