General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vrod

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 AM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think young sport bike riders eventually evolve to cruisers. when yer 50 and tired of lying on yer nuts. That said I love the concept of the Vrod would have one if I could afford two bikes

Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they look great but the last review I read said it's a great motor in need of a better frame. The low ground clearance makes it a poor sport bike. Another problem is the forward controls. I'm pretty sure at 5'7" I can barely reach the foot pegs. This dwindles the potential buyers to only tall riders. I know they had mid controls for awhile but, since it didn't help sales, they dropped the option.

Last edited by barjbar; 02-24-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
I don't care about the Harley "purism"; I judge a bike in its own merits. If the MoCo made a V-Rod that suited my needs, I'd buy it.
Exactly!

AND, HD is not going to have the current customer demographic it's enjoyed for 50 years now forever. Future customers are not going to be impressed with a $25000 bike that can barely keep up with a minivan going down I95 to Daytona.
I enjoyed the vrod I had with the exception of the comfort and lack of good slow speed handling and as I have said before, if my new FLD ran as good as the vrod I'd be very very happy with it. If I were younger and more energetic I'd be stuffing a revolution motor in a Dyna or softail style frame right now.

Also, in my opinion, HD is taking us to the cleaners on the price of thier bikes anyway. There has to be room for them to make and sell them cheaper.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM
dyna-chris
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a cool bike. I'd pick up a sporty 1200 before a V-rod probably but it is a cool looking bike. Imo Harley shouldn't compete in the sport bike market simply because they will not succeed. Prices are far too low across import bikes that can outperform a harley in all riding venues.

If Harley wants to target the younger crowds they need to make it more affordable for starters. Then they need to create a new image of young riders. Not 1%'ers though. Needs to be a cool image that looks fun. Make a new sportster model that is hardtail with a springer front end and bare bones as all hell with 16"s front and rear. Sell it as cheap as you can, make it easy to customize and cheap to customize. That way they don't have to sink millions into R&D on production of new components or motors. Just reuse left overs and current tech, make a fun retro bike that young people can enjoy. Make the image around the bike young and fun.

Just my opinion. I know I'd have bought a harley if I could find a used one for 3500-4000$ that was running and not older than me and still in good shape.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:10 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna-chris
they need to create a new image of young riders. Not 1%'ers though. Needs to be a cool image that looks fun. Make a new sportster model that is hardtail with a springer front end and bare bones as all hell with 16"s front and rear.
REALLY? Springers and rgiid frames to attract younger riders who want sport bikes!!!!!!! Not 1%s!!!!!

Oh wait, don't forget to add 24" ape hangers to that rigid pogo stick!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll start by saying I've owned 7 Harleys. Two have been V Rods. IT IS NOT a SPORT BIKE, it IS a POWER CRUISER. Comfort? I've been able to ride the 07 V Rod far longer in comfort than any of my other Harleys, including 2 Dynas.The Nightrod is very uncomfortable stock. My 07 V Rod you could tweak the bars back and be comfortable.
If you wish to see "uncomfortable" ride a NIGHTTRAIN for a few minutes!
As far as "feet forward",the V rod position is just as comfortable as any "forward control" Harley.
Personally, if Baggers were all Harley made I would never own a Harley!
FL owners talking about handling is a joke! I've ridden plenty of baggers and they feel like a pick up truck compared to most other bikes! The V Rod has more ground clearance and can far outcorner a FATBOY with floorboards! Who's baggin' on the FATBOY as a lousy handling bike!??? (Or a Streetglide!) Let's get real! The guys stating such junk are not the guys that ride V Rods, but folks that need to rag on it...

I think "traditionalist" also don't like the engine, A modern design that can rev and actually make some HP!!

Someone said Sport bikes are far cheaper than V Rod also may need to check "sport Bike prices!!!!" Even 600 sport bikes are near 11K.

There are plenty of folks that enjoy the V Rod (visit 1130cc.com sometime and see).

One thing that held the V Rod back is "Harley guys" hate change of any sort, and the V Rod is a big change! I tried to enjoy my last Dyna, but the lack of power could not be ignored. I went back to the V Rod!

Last edited by FBRR; 02-24-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:52 PM
dyna-chris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigjames4xl
REALLY? Springers and rgiid frames to attract younger riders who want sport bikes!!!!!!! Not 1%s!!!!!

Oh wait, don't forget to add 24" ape hangers to that rigid pogo stick!
24" apes. pft. Drag bars. What's the trend with sportys right now? Drag bars, big tires, blacked out and trimmed down. It's a model you could produce for a low cost that would attract riders who want a cool looking bike with an HD badge for a low price. And I'm not trying to say attract sport bike riders per se. More just saying you want to attract young riders who are looking for bikes at a reasonable cost. Sport bikes are cheap which makes it easier for young riders to get into them. Guys that want sport bikes will buy sport bikes. Young people that want a cool ride for a reasonable price may buy something else. Maybe lose the springer for a standard 39mm fork... Maybe.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna-chris
Sport bikes are cheap which makes it easier for young riders to get into them. Guys that want sport bikes will buy sport bikes. Young people that want a cool ride for a reasonable price may buy something else. Maybe lose the springer for a standard 39mm fork... Maybe.
Cheap sport bike!??? You really do need to "get out more!"
That CHEAP little 600 is 12K+ to say nothing of a KID getting insurance! They are not buying because they're CHEAP! They are buying because they are FAST! And really do corner!

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...scid=24&id=716

And again, the V Rod was never meant to be an entry level NOR SPORT BIKE!
It is a power cruiser!
MOst young guys are laughing at traditional Harley (visit any SPORT BIKE FORUM) for being SLOW and out dated!@!

The V ROd may go down as Harley last attempt to make a MODERN MOTORCYCLE before all the old cootes that buy Harley died off, and Harley went belly up! ( I should add I am an old coote too!!)

Last edited by FBRR; 02-24-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah.... any day now.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM
dyna-chris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FBRR
Cheap sport bike!??? You really do need to "get out more!"
That CHEAP little 600 is 12K+ to say nothing of a KID getting insurance! They are not buying because they're CHEAP! They are buying because they are FAST! And really do corner!

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...scid=24&id=716

You do realize that at any given moment you can go on craigslist and find a cbr 500 for a few grand right? You cannot do that with harleys. Even old sporties are 4500-5000 on craigslist. Hell for 5k you can buy a brand new Honda or Kawasaki bike that hauls ***. Just found a 2000 CBR 600 for 3200$. Could probably get it for less than 3K. So.. ... Yea? I dunno though it's a mindset thing as you said. They want to go fast on modern bikes. Harley can't compete in the go fast market, but they can compete in a low cost semi-sub culture of cool entry level harleys. At least I imagine they could. I have a bunch of friends that have 2000-3000$ and can't afford harley's but want one. If you could find a used Harley that wasn't 20 years old for 3K I think you'd open up to a whole new demographic of potential harley owners.

Quick Reply: Vrod