General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vrod

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=lh4x4;11020327]I get 44 mpg with my Vrod. A lot of twinkies don't get that.[/

I think the best I have gotten so far is about 40-43mpg

And that was only after I put on some TAB mufflers. Prior to that I was in the low 30's

But the mpg does not matter to me anymore as that throttle response I get is just excellent

Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

Got a chance to briefly ride mine this past Saturday.

Love this bike....I do not think they are going away anytime soon - they are just way to smooth and fast....

Attached Thumbnails Vrod-rod1.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 PM
joechez
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what its worth I had the VRSCR the redheaded step child of all the vrods and loved the dam thing she was sweet and fast but no lady I still have a BIG BIG hole in my heart where she used to hang out. sorry I had to sell her don't get me wrong I love my dyna now but that street rod sure was fun to ride. a hand full of pure fun. 2nd and 3rd gears just wow. 4th and 5th were like are you Fu@&ing serious!!! I miss her. what a great bike. all my old school buddys used to joke about her then one day I let one of the guys take her for a spin. he did not say much around the group but on the side he just walked over and smiled @ said whew dam dude you got to ride that thing.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by joechez
for what its worth I had the VRSCR the redheaded step child of all the vrods and loved the dam thing she was sweet and fast but no lady I still have a BIG BIG hole in my heart where she used to hang out. sorry I had to sell her don't get me wrong I love my dyna now but that street rod sure was fun to ride. a hand full of pure fun. 2nd and 3rd gears just wow. 4th and 5th were like are you Fu@&ing serious!!! I miss her. what a great bike. all my old school buddys used to joke about her then one day I let one of the guys take her for a spin. he did not say much around the group but on the side he just walked over and smiled @ said whew dam dude you got to ride that thing.
Great story...! That's always been my point I tell people also to ride one and see how good they really are and then get back to me.

I still maintain that the VRod has more in common with the Dyna series
than anything else in the HD line. Enjoy the Dyna they are a great bike as well.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure HD even wants to put the sort of R&D money it takes for the Vrod tech to transition to anything other than their "cruiser" bikes when the EPA finally makes it happen.

Like many here I came from Sport bike land and the 18 month rotation on tech is a pain. I honestly think that HD is sooo far behind the curve when it comes to sport bikes and the demand for one is sooooo low that really it just isn't worth it.

I do lust after the V-Rod Muscle but a test ride later my stripped down ultra is a better ride for the distance. They (HD) seriously needs to give us a bike that brings the best of both worlds. If you are curious yes I'm paying very very close to what is on the horizon over at Indian motorcycles. Not saying I'm jumping ship but there seems to be something in the water over there I just might like. Thunder stroke 111..hmmm?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TO34
I'm not sure HD even wants to put the sort of R&D money it takes for the Vrod tech to transition to anything other than their "cruiser" bikes when the EPA finally makes it happen.

Like many here I came from Sport bike land and the 18 month rotation on tech is a pain. I honestly think that HD is sooo far behind the curve when it comes to sport bikes and the demand for one is sooooo low that really it just isn't worth it.

I do lust after the V-Rod Muscle but a test ride later my stripped down ultra is a better ride for the distance. They (HD) seriously needs to give us a bike that brings the best of both worlds. If you are curious yes I'm paying very very close to what is on the horizon over at Indian motorcycles. Not saying I'm jumping ship but there seems to be something in the water over there I just might like. Thunder stroke 111..hmmm?

I'm not sure HD can afford to give up the R&D that is the VRod. To put
the engine in a touring frame would require it to have more torque at the bottom and less speed at the top (afterall who really needs to ride 140mph/sarc)

HD could accomplish that by putting a 6 speed transmission in the VRod
along with lower gearing especially in 1st&2d gear.

But I still do not think that liquid cooling will ever be fully accepted by HD or by the aircooled crowd. But the dilemma for HD is a liquid cooled motor is the
only alternative to the EPA restrictions and also the extreme heat problem they are having with 96 cubic inch and up engines. I know this first hand as I was an owner of a 2010 Road King that was literally "frying" itself to death.

The FLH bikes are great touring bikes (underpowered IMO) but have a very loyal following. For two up riding they are unsurpassed.

I have looked at other brands as well...but it seems that I always return to HD it has a certain cache about it that the other brands do not seem to have.
But that's just my opinion.

I'm sticking with my VRod...I like it - it fits me - and is everything I wanted
with power, speed, reliability and uniqueness.

Here's a pic of a 2004 VRod that just turned 200,000 miles on the speedo.
This is one of the super long term rides over at www.1130cc.com

Attached Thumbnails Vrod-ca_03041321072817-m.jpg