General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vrod

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Vrods...don't have one but have ridden a few of them. Majority of HD owners have resisted because it doesn't look like a HD....I think they are very cool. I will buy a 3rd HD and it will be a VRod.

Good VMax story....last summer I was out on my Road King with my wife, came to a light and a guy was with his girl....and on a VMax. He took off like a rocket ship....wheelie and all with her on back. Trust me, he wasn't small and she wasn't either and that bike just flew...it was truly impressive if that's what you like. About 30 minutes later he and I stopped at the same gas station.....talked about his VMax...and he was very impressed with himself and his bike. Stating that he would ride a HD because they are slow and breakdown a lot. Needless to say, he wasn't very mindful that I was fueling up a Road King....definetly trying to start something with me. I just let it go, my days of caring about some dork and his opinion are over. As he takes off he shakes his head in disgust about my Road King...basically laughing at my bike.
So....a few hours later We were in the back country...just cruising....and low and behold I come up on him on the side of the road.....BROKEN DOWN! As much as I wanted to just ride on...I pulled over and helped him. He was clearly embarrassed and I told him that the reason I didn't have a VMax was that they were ugly and too unreliable.....we both laughed.

Funny how that worked out. I hope he learned a lesson.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I saw a friend yesterday while the wife and I were out shopping. He has an 03 Vrod and I told him I was mildly interested in them. The conversation went to Buells (which he owned at one time) and he mentioned that the Vrod also stored oil in the frame like the Buell did in the swingarm.

He's a good guy and generally knowledgeable about bikes so I didn't want to dispute him about a bike he owns and I've never ridden. But that said, to MY knowledge the Vrod is wet sump engine and it should all be contained in the case given that it's a unit construction bike (but for whats in the oil cooler).

Am I all wrong on this?????

Old 03-04-2013, 06:55 AM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I saw a friend yesterday while the wife and I were out shopping. He has an 03 Vrod and I told him I was mildly interested in them. The conversation went to Buells (which he owned at one time) and he mentioned that the Vrod also stored oil in the frame like the Buell did in the swingarm.

He's a good guy and generally knowledgeable about bikes so I didn't want to dispute him about a bike he owns and I've never ridden. But that said, to MY knowledge the Vrod is wet sump engine and it should all be contained in the case given that it's a unit construction bike (but for whats in the oil cooler).

You are correct!, the Vrod takes 5 gts in the crankcase.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

You are correct...The V Rod has a wet sump engine with no liquid storage in the frame whatsoever.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks guys. Now to find a way to break it to him and still get a test ride

Old 03-04-2013, 07:17 AM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks guys. Now to find a way to break it to him and still get a test ride

Maybe he's confused with the fuel tank being stuffed between the frame tubes under the seat, or, maybe he's just confused!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

I hope didn't pay extra to have the oil in the frame changed

Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

No you're not, but your friend is. Bourget choppers had an oil-in-frame design, not the VROD.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 03-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Daddie O
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned many different makes and models of bike, and a couple Harleys. I had a CVO V-Rod that I sold a couple of days ago. It was a damn good bike, lots of fun to ride, as long as it wasn't too long of a ride. After awhile my *** and my hips would get sore because of the seat and only having one leg position. So I sold it, and I'm going back to a bagger. I have no hard feelings about the V-Rod, it was a blast to ride. You can look at it a couple of ways. It isn't as fast as a sportsbike, nor as comfortable as a bagger, but it is more comfortable than a sportsbike and faster than a bagger. So it's either the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds depending on how you look at it. When I got it I was riding one up on relatively short rides. Now I'm riding more two up on longer rides so my needs changed.

The V-Rod seems to be a polarizing bike (online anyway). In person I got nothing but compliments on it (and awards). Some people are drawn to it like no other bike, others are repelled by it, they just don't feel it. Another thing to consider is the V-Rod has changed so much over the years (frame width, tire width, rake angle, controls position, reach to bars). My '05 was great for ME because of the forward controls, and the short reach to the bars. A newer V-Rod was a completely uncomfortable riding position for ME. So to get on one V-Rod and say that V-Rod's are uncomfortable bikes kind of paints them all in the same vein which is inaccurate. Whatever you ride the most important thing is if YOU enjoy the ride, not what others think.

Last edited by Daddie O; 03-04-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddie O
I've owned many different makes and models of bike, and a couple Harleys. I had a CVO V-Rod that I sold a couple of days ago. It was a damn good bike, lots of fun to ride, as long as it wasn't too long of a ride. After awhile my *** and my hips would get sore because of the seat and only having one leg position. So I sold it, and I'm going back to a bagger. I have no hard feelings about the V-Rod, it was a blast to ride. You can look at it a couple of ways. It isn't as fast as a sportsbike, nor as comfortable as a bagger, but it is more comfortable than a sportsbike and faster than a bagger. So it's either the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds depending on how you look at it. When I got it I was riding one up on relatively short rides. Now I'm riding more two up on longer rides so my needs changed.

The V-Rod seems to be a polarizing bike (online anyway). In person I got nothing but compliments on it (and awards). Some people are drawn to it like no other bike, others are repelled by it, they just don't feel it. Another thing to consider is the V-Rod has changed so much over the years (frame width, tire width, rake angle, controls position, reach to bars). My '05 was great for ME because of the forward controls, and the short reach to the bars. A newer V-Rod was a completely uncomfortable riding position for ME. So to get on one V-Rod and say that V-Rod's are uncomfortable bikes kind of paints them all in the same vein which is inaccurate. Whatever you ride the most important thing is if YOU enjoy the ride, not what others think.

Great Post! You are absolutely correct the V is a polarizing bike online.
In person mine has received nothing but compliments.

It fits my riding style - I like it a lot. Not asking everyone to like it. I really think that after 10 years they are finally getting some semblance of positive
recognition.

This is the most post's I ever recall in this section of the Forum.

Quick Reply: Vrod