General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Brands: What do you have and do they perform well

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Brands: What do you have and do they perform well

Found a nail in my rear tire, off center, near the edge, when i put the bike away for the winter. It's keeping the pressure so far. Just don't know if the Ride-On is sealing it or if the nail wasn't all the way through. I have 8500 miles on the bike/tires. Just doing my research now, so i know what to get if i have to make a quick decision or decide to replace it before riding the 1500 miles to sturgis this summer.

I keep reading about CII / EIII / MCII tires and quite frankly don't know what they are. Maybe you guys can shed some light on this for me and let me know what your experiences with tires are
Oh....whats your opinion on using 2 different brand tires between front and back?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 220 Posts

You'll get all kinds of answers but here's what I do when I get a nail. Riding for long distances on flat sealer would make me nervous. If there's 50% or more remaining I remove the wheel, unmount the tire, plug it from the inside, and put it back on. This is enough of a PIA that I won't spend the effort for a mostly worn tire. Plus the last 20% of a rear tire's life is the worst part of it due to squaring off anyway.
At 8,500 miles your's likely has much less than 50% remaining (I get around 10-11K on a rear of my FLHT) so I'd just replace it with a Dunlop American Elite which is quite compatible with the OEM Dunlop. They're not cheap tires though, I just ordered one from Jake Wilson and it was $200 shipped. Lord knows what a dealer would charge for their version? Maybe $400 or more including labor and taxes.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I actually don't know what brand they are but I do know they have "Harley Davidson" on them. It's a new bike, so it figures.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:10 PM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunlop's on mine they are **** in the wet

Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You're going to get a lot of opinions. I like a sticky tire so I like Avons. They may not last as long as some of the other tires which use a harder compound, but I would rather change them a bit more often in exchange for great grip and feel. They also perform very well in wet road conditions.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
You're going to get a lot of opinions. I like a sticky tire so I like Avons. They may not last as long as some of the other tires which use a harder compound, but I would rather change them a bit more often in exchange for great grip and feel. They also perform very well in wet road conditions.
I had Avons on my V-max. Should have bought shares in that company...

Also wondering if some of you change your own tires and balance them yourselves, or just add balancing liquid/beats. If you do your own work, what equipment you using

Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete6114
I keep reading about CII / EIII / MCII tires and quite frankly don't know what they are. Maybe you guys can shed some light on this for me and let me know what your experiences with tires are.
I'll be the first to admit I haven't got a clue as to what CII / EIII / MCII tires are or about.

Oh....whats your opinion on using 2 different brand tires between front and back?
Nothing wrong with it. Last season I was running a Michelin Commander on the back and a Dunlop on the front. No issues whatsoever. Since I had to replace both tires this season, I stuck with Dunlops front and rear.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 18,800 miles on my 2011 Ultra and still have the original tires on them. I'll put another 1000 miles on the rear tire before I change it. I have a Dunlop American Elite just waiting.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:33 PM
beastie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 20k on the rear from my stock Michelins (2010 Super Glide). My front may have gone another 8k but I replaced it anyway. Was impressed with Michelins so I went with Michelin Commander II which are said to be the longest lasting tires. So far I'm happy with braking, grip, noise, comfort.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:35 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I keep reading about CII / EIII / MCII tires and quite frankly don't know what they are.
I just did some tire shopping a couple months ago, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe when people use those abbreviations: EIII are the Dulop E3 tires, and the MCII are the Michelin Commander II tires. Not sure on the CII, might also be the Michelin Commander IIs.

Quick Reply: Tire Brands: What do you have and do they perform well