General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jobs at Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Rnt77
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jobs at Harley Davidson

I've been in law enforcement for nearly 10 years...dealing with criminals day in and day out is getting draining....love a career change, just dont know how to make a move. I dont know if you can make a career in a HD dealership, but I'd like to make a switcheroo.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnt77
I've been in law enforcement for nearly 10 years...dealing with criminals day in and day out is getting draining....love a career change, just dont know how to make a move. I dont know if you can make a career in a HD dealership, but I'd like to make a switcheroo.
Sales or repair side? Each has it's own unique set of talents.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnt77
Lot to consider here. You'd probably be giving up a lot of pension and other benefits, reduced at least, and most likely a big drop in pay for at least a while. It may seem worth it now, but it can cause stress later on. Have you checked into a position move in law enforcement that could put some space between you and the hard cores? If married, have you discussed this with the spouse? Would you have to move? The economy sucks big time right now, and leaving a secure job is taking a potentially large risk. Good luck with whichever way you decide on.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,066 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Your gonna love the cuts in pay , loose of benefits , the volatile may be permantly closed any day environment , the total idiocy of your new fellow employees and you'll come to dislike the bikes and the people who buy them rather quickly and that's the better positions you'll find . Nice dream man really but the reality isn't there .

Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,240 Likes on 2,470 Posts

I work closely with quite a few dealerships.

What I have observed is that even though they get to be around bikes all the time, the following is also true-

They do NOT get paid well at all

They have to be working when everyone else is out riding.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Bout the same as becoming a gynecologist because you love *****. Good luck with that.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts

How about staying in law enforcement but locating to a smaller or more law abiding area???

Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Bout the same as becoming a gynecologist because you love *****. Good luck with that.
LMFAO

Good point.

I have a lot of male gynecology friends who love ***** and, trust me, that isn't why they chose that specialty. By the same token, I know female gynecologists that love *****, too, and that isn't why they chose gynecology either.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
So funny but absolutely true. My wife talked me into being there while our first kid was born. I wanted to be out in the waiting area smoking cigars. Anyways, after watching that ordeal it took me about two years before I could even think of putting my face down there again.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sales, chasing the buck is tough. It's even tougher working retail.

Everyone should try it, but not after an established career. Sorry, you'd be better off at a car dealership. And still work nights and weekends.

Quick Reply: Jobs at Harley Davidson